Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-13-2002, 05:58 PM   #1
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

How many times have you read it?

Okay, I'll admit up front that this is basically just a bogus post to boost my status up to Elven warrior, but still!

How many times have you read LotR?

For myself, I believe the count is at 7 right now (not very much, I know . . . but considering I'm only 15 that's not too shabby!!)

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 10:22 PM   #2
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Twenty-four times all the way through since 1977, FrodoFriend, and finding new details each time!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 12:44 AM   #3
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

16 times, and that includes only once in the past 10 years. (I have to admit that in the 70s, I read it a couple of times in a row just so my friend's brother wouldn't catch up to me)
ragamuffin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 02:08 AM   #4
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

i've only read it once and i'm not ashamed to admit that. the first time is always the best
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 02:18 AM   #5
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

Luinilwen, do you plan to read it again soon, or are you going to wait a while (or never)? I found it took a few readings for the incidental characters and stories to become clear in my mind.
You're 100% correct, tho--the first time is the most important. Welcome to the "I've Read the Tolkien Trilogy All the Way Through and I'm Proud" Club. We meet at 7:45 pm on the first and third Tuesday of each month at the Holiday Inn of Prague. Call for directions.
Old 01-14-2002, 02:21 AM   #6
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Just 5 times since '93. 'Had to get another copy this year after my an old friend of mine disapeared with my original 3 books (darned orc-brood!). The 3 LotR books were difficult to get by here in Manila; at least before november last year when the movie trailers started showing. Luckily I was able to find a single volume copy in singapore last june.

I also have the hobbit, silmarillion, unfinished tales, farmer giles, and a coffee-table book with artist's impressions about middle earth (they sure look like some of the scenery in PJ's film).

Currently, all the books are sold out again. (nice to know that people are getting pulled in by the prrrreciooouuussss)

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 02:23 AM   #7
Kamyel
Hobbit

I'm still on my first time through. I'm up to "The Two Towers" now.
Kamyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 03:06 AM   #8
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Well good on ya, Kamyel, keep at it, and when you finish, read "Silmarillion" and then "Letters of JRR Tolkien".

By the way, have these books been translated into Tagalog?
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 01-14-2002, 03:39 AM   #9
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
By the way, have these books been translated into Tagalog?
I don't think so. Although it would most definitely be a good project. It would probably make the books longer, I'm afraid, since Tagalog words tend to be longer than English or German.

The word for Elf/Dwarf is the same and not native to the Philippines (dwende).

English is used in most of the written material here. Tagalog, Cebuano, Ilocano, and the rest of the dialects which comprise the filipino language are more commonly used for everyday speech, folklore and some local dailies and comic books, depending on the region.

We do have short works such as "The Little Prince" already in Tagalog.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Old 01-14-2002, 05:08 AM   #10
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

well actually i was fairly turned off by LOTR because of the whole D&D label stamped on it. so yes, i was prompted to read the book because i refused to see the movie without having read the books first.
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 07:50 AM   #11
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

*hangs his head and anounces, "1.5"*

I have only been a fan for a year!!!
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 11:24 AM   #12
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Thanks for the info re: Tagalog and other Filipino dialects, Aragorn!
Old 01-14-2002, 11:36 AM   #13
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

Oh, Emplynx...

Ya can stop hanging your head, son, because you're right on schedule. By your age, I had probably only read "The Hobbit" and didn't get to LOTR until my junior year in H.S. You're doing just fine, from one "God's Buddy" to another.

Last edited by ragamuffin92 : 01-14-2002 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-14-2002, 12:05 PM   #14
sepulchrave
Enting

since 1973, i think 9 times, but eight for sure...the Hobbit three times for me, once out loud for my son
sepulchrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 12:09 PM   #15
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Welcome to the Moot, sepulchrave!
Old 01-14-2002, 12:52 PM   #16
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Emplynx..

You're a bit lucky from my POV. I had to scrounge around for the 3 volumes but was only able to get books 2 and 3 right after college where I come from.

At least now we can order online when the modern day palantiri came about

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Put aside the ranger...
Old 01-14-2002, 02:30 PM   #17
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

o,o,ky becon......poor phonetics but you get the gist.

I've read it so many times I've had to reglue the bindings twice over the years.

Then again: lots and not at all.....always finding new things.
Old 01-14-2002, 04:05 PM   #18
Butterburr
Hobbit

I think I've read LoTR about 6 times, the Hobbit 4 and the Silmarillion just once (although that one really stuck with me).
Butterburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 04:19 PM   #19
EdBlackadder
Hobbit

Re: How many times have you read it?

Quote:
Originally posted by FrodoFriend
Okay, I'll admit up front that this is basically just a bogus post to boost my status up to Elven warrior, but still!

How many times have you read LotR?

For myself, I believe the count is at 7 right now (not very much, I know . . . but considering I'm only 15 that's not too shabby!!)

I've read the series (Hobbit, Silmarilion, Lord of the Rings) in that order 7 times or so too. Plus numerous readings of the Silmarilion and Hobbit on their own on holiday.
Old 01-14-2002, 04:34 PM   #20
Vardasoroniel
Enting

Strider

i've read the trilogy about 25+ times - starting in the summer of 1969.

was so excited by the movie that i reread TFOTR again before i went to see it.

& then, of course i wanted more - so reread TTT and have now wandered on to TROTK

sigh . . . i never grow tired of it

-- vardasoroniel
Vardasoroniel is offline   Reply With Quote