Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-16-2002, 05:09 PM   #1
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Does Ranma 1/2 count?

The Ranma 1/2 books are pretty cool, but I've never met any one who knew what I was talking about. Would he count as Sci-fi?
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 01:38 PM   #2
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Well, since no one seems to know what I'm talking about, these books are about a boy name ranma and his adventures. When Ranma was a little younger, his father, who didn't know chinese, took him to China. Then while they were sparring (in an enchanted field full of magic pools, but no one could read the warning signs) ranma and his father both fell into the pools. So now if you dump cold water on them Ranma turns into a girl and his father turns into a panda bear. Also, while they were getting out they managed to knock the girl Shampoo, the 2 boys Mousse and Ryoga into pools too. So Ryoga turns into a pig, Shampoo a cat, and Mousse, a duck. His father then rushs him to the house of Akane Tendo in honor of an agreement made long ago. They ingage Ranma to the youngest daugher Akane. (since she thinks boys are jerks and Ranma's half girl.) Ever since, every boy in school has been attempting to kill Ranma in order to gain his place. Including Gusten, a really sneaky idiot, and Upperclassmen Kuno, who's in love with Ranma in his other form and Akane too. To spice it up Happosai, who is often seen running from packs of angry girls, pops in, an Shampoo's great-grandmother, who is attempting to force Ranma to marry Shampoo. Watch Ranma run from all the girls who've managed to fall in love with him and those who he's become the fiancee of over the years, while he searches for the cure to his little problem. It's a rather funny series.
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
Old 04-18-2002, 12:13 AM   #3
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Well, Ranma 1/2 isn't really a novel, is it? It's a manga and anime. But even so, I consider it fantasy. Everyone metamorphoses when they touch water? Doesn't sound very scientific to me.
I love Ranma 1/2. It's so cute and funny.
Glad to see another anime/manga fan around.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 12:17 AM   #4
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

THANK YOU, someone knows what I'm talking about. I was starting to feel like a total wierdo. Ever read x/1999? I can't find the rest of the books Maybe you read Naussica. You're right about the sci-fi part. I somehow managed to forget the transformation part until after I put up the post.

Old 04-18-2002, 09:38 PM   #5
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I could never get into anime, the problem with comics is that it is hard to dive into them, especially serious anime. There is too much detail around them. I'll stick to LOTR
Old 04-18-2002, 10:36 PM   #6
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Too bad. It's soooo worth it. You like LoTR and you complain about anime having too much detail? It should be child's play. haha!

I don't read manga. It's too expensive. I feel weird reading it in English and I can't read Japanese. I heard that Nausicaa one is really really good though. The movie is one of my favourites and the manga apparently takes the story alot farther. I want to read it.
I just watch lots of anime. My favourites right now are Karekano and Trigun. I'm watching Fruit's Basket right now and I think it will also become my favourite.
Old 04-18-2002, 11:01 PM   #7
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by markedel
I could never get into anime, the problem with comics is that it is hard to dive into them, especially serious anime. There is too much detail around them. I'll stick to LOTR
There is not!!!!!!!! With anime like Ranma 1/2 the only facts you have to keep straight are who is who and wh transforms into what. No harder than a Saturday morning cartoon. In fact Saturday morning cartoons tend to be more difficult since they speak it to you and you can go over it in your spare tiome.

Old 04-18-2002, 11:07 PM   #8
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Wait, I think I know what you mean. Naussica is a tad bit more serious and there are a bit more details to keep straight and it's pure headache if you don't read them in order, but Ranma 1/2 is pure comedy, it's not complicated at all.

Old 05-20-2002, 10:25 AM   #9
Carafin
Elven Warrior

Wow anime fans! I have read the first book of Ranma but no more ( i can't seem to get ahold of any books or movies here in Canada) It's nice to know there are other anime fans on here One of my favourite anime series is Magic Knight Rayearth , any one read (or watch) that one?

P.S.I really like your little picture thing (attiver??) Shampoo is so cute!

four be the things I'd be better off without,
love, curiousity, freckles, and doubt
Queen Guinevere?
Though all to ruin fell the world,
And were dissolved and backward hurled,
Unmade into the old abyss,
Yet were its making good for this,
The dusk, the dawn, the earth, the sea,
That Luthien for a time shoud be ~
~Beren: The Song of Parting
Carafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 09:30 AM   #10
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

You're lucky, I have managed to find books all over the spectrum, but I haven't as yet managed to find number one. What I know of the beginning comes from reading fanfics. I've heard of Rayearth, but my library system doesn't have any. Have you read the Evangilion or the x/1999 ones?

Old 07-06-2002, 05:00 PM   #11
Carafin
Elven Warrior

I haven't read any of those manga series (our Library doesn't have any anime) where are you from???? Lucky *pouts*oh well *sighs*. Mirrille what channel is all that anime on?? the only things I can find are Sailor Moon and Yu-Gi-Oh and Gundam wing
oh yeah and DBZ too.

Queen Guinevere?
Old 07-17-2002, 08:47 PM   #12
Brokehorn4000
Elven Warrior

I have only read a few Ranma 1/2 manga, and I think they're the best in its class! It's not everyday you read about a guy that turns into a girl when he comes in contact with cold water, or a girl named Shampoo that turns into a cat, or another guy named Mousse who turns into a duck , or a father who turns into a panda and is crazy about food...

In general, I love it!
Old 07-17-2002, 09:47 PM   #13
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Carafin, most of the stuff I see isn't on TV channels. I'm in Canada (Vancouver). But the networks are weenies and edit stuff beyond recognition. You're probably better off looking for a video store that specializes in anime.
Old 07-19-2002, 08:55 PM   #14
Carafin
Elven Warrior

Oh ok well thanx anyway

Queen Guinevere?
Old 11-11-2002, 07:49 PM   #15
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

I'm in Boston. have you ever read Call Me Princess, it's really sweet.