Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Life of J.R.R. Tolkien and his Other Works
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-02-2010, 02:03 AM   #1
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien

Hello, fellow Mooters!

Something came up last week that made me want to check something in "The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien", and I ended up reading it for well over an hour. I hadn't read it for a long time, and I was struck anew at just how lovely they are - interesting, funny, moving, loving, and very personal.

I got the idea to start a thread on Letters - I don't think there ever was one, although individual letters have been discussed. I thought it might be cool to start on the date of the first letter, and flipped hopefully to the front, and ... the first letter was in October! (no day given) of 1914.

So here we are, 96 (!) years later, in October of 2010, and I would love to have a leisurely discussion, letter by letter, of this very interesting book, with my fellow Mooters There are 354 letters here, so sit back, get comfortable, pour a cup of tea (or whatever) and let's enjoy this wonderful man's letters together.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 10-02-2010 at 04:17 AM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote