Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-12-2003, 10:34 PM   #1
Sicirus
Elf Lord

Strider Betrayal of Mim

I have just read over the story of Turin and have found that Mim the "petty dwarf" did not like elves.
So is that the reason why he disliked Beleg Cuthalion?
Or was it another reason?
And why did he lead the orc army to Turin's hidding place?
Was he paid to do it?
For he was Petty after all.
Thanks for your answers.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:57 PM   #2
azalea
Long lost mooter

I just read about what happens to him in the end .

There is so much packed in there that although it hasn't been long since I read that episode, it isn't clear in my memory, but I seem to think that he betrayed because he was saving his skin. Not very noble of him, but he never claimed to be a hero. I think the enemy basically said show us the way or we'll kill you.

And yes, that's the reason he didn't like Beleg. The elves in the past had hunted and slaughtered the dwarves, and he also felt that the Noldor had taken their lands. On top of all that, he liked Turin, and it seems like he became jealous of Beleg when he showed up.

edit: I think petty in this case means "lesser" as in not of noble blood.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 07:08 AM   #3
Sicirus
Elf Lord

Strider

Now I remember that part*clicks light bulb*
I guess I have to read the book over again. Thankyou very much.
I wonder if the petty dwarves still dwell in ME during the war of the ring.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:56 AM   #4
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicirus
Now I remember that part*clicks light bulb*
I guess I have to read the book over again. Thankyou very much.
I wonder if the petty dwarves still dwell in ME during the war of the ring.
Nope, Mim and his two sons were the last of them. I think that's what his whole problem with the Elves was. The Sindar use to hunt them, so they dwindled. They were the first of the Dwarves to enter Beleriand, and then the Noldor came. They resented that. The underground fortress of Nargothrond was first delved by the petty Dwarves. Remember when Hurin went to Nargothrond and Mim was there? He told Hurin that before the wise ones came from across the sea, his people delved those caves? Hurin wasted him then, and I think that was the end of the Petty Dwarves.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 09:08 AM   #5
Findegil
Elven Warrior

That is not a must be. It is clear that Mîm was slain by Hurin in front of the ruins of Nargothrond. But it is nowhere told what hapend to Ibun his second son.
We only know that the dwarves of Nogrod did know the story of the death of Mîm and his possesion of the Glaurungs horad for a time, when they claimed the Nauglamir. Who could have reproted that story?
Remembering that the petty-dwarves were once exiled from Nogrod, I would think that Idun was left alive and found his way to the Ered Luin in the end.

It is just a guess, but at least we do not know if Ibun out lived his dead or not.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 09:00 AM   #6
Inderjit Sanghera
Elven Warrior

Well, at least Mim asked the Orcs to spare Turin, because he got along with him.

He's a whole lot better then the evil Dwarven general of Morgoth of BoLT 2, anway!
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 11:50 PM   #7
Halbarad of the North
Sapling

Re: Betrayal of Mim

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicirus
I have just read over the story of Turin and have found that Mim the "petty dwarf" did not like elves.
So is that the reason why he disliked Beleg Cuthalion?
Or was it another reason?
And why did he lead the orc army to Turin's hidding place?
Was he paid to do it?
For he was Petty after all.
Thanks for your answers.

He probaly didnt like Beleg at first for that reason and wouldnt change his mind. He bought his freedom and life by betrating the outlaws.
Halbarad of the North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 05:17 PM   #8
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Findegil
Remembering that the petty-dwarves were once exiled from Nogrod, I would think that Idun was left alive and found his way to the Ered Luin in the end.
What Dwarf house would that make the from then?
'They need more gardens,' said Legolas. 'The houses are dead, and there is too little here that grows and is glad. If Aragorn comes into his own, the people of the Wood shall bring him birds that sing and trees that do not die.'
Kirinki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 06:49 PM   #9
Inderjit Sanghera
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Finrod had help of Dwarves in the building if Nargothrond. It is supposed to in origin to have been a hall of the Petty Dwarves, but the Great Dwarves despised these...
HoME 12; Shibboleth of Feanor

I presume the great Dwarves means the Firebeards (Belegostian) and Broadbeams (Nogrodian). I presume that the Longbeards Dwarves, thought the 'greatest' of all Seven 'clans' were to far away to have any active part in the WoTJ/Affairs of the Dwarves of the Blue Mountains.

'Of Dwarves and Men' (HoME 12) tells us that they were too busy in their own problems with Ork's though they had alliance with the Marachian tribes surronding Khazad-dum, mainly around Rhovanion, of whom the Woodmen, the Northmen and Rohhirm are descended. Also the fact that the Petty-Dwarves were 'despised' the possiblity of Idun safely reaching the Blue Mountains (The passage through Southern Beleriand, south of Doriath) would've been relatively safe, but a warm welcome would've been doubtful, esp. for the son of the much despised Mim.

The Petty dwarves are seemignly rejects of deformed/evil Dwarves:

Quote:
They only became aware of their existence indeed when they attacked the Eldar....
Quote:
The great Dwarves despised the petty Dwarves who were (it is said) Dwarves who had left or been driven out the communities, being deformed or undersized or slothful and rebellious
WoTJ; HoME 11; Quendi and Eldar

So the may have come from the Firbeards/Broadbeam clans, since they were the first Dwarves, or even incarantes to enter Beleriand:

Quote:
who had settled in Beleriand long before the Elves had came there....
The Annals of Aman; Morgoths Ring; HoME 10 tells us that Elves awoke in Valinorean Year 1050 and reached Beleriand in 1125.

So we could assume that the Dwarves awoke in their mansions during the great march, and the Petty Dwarves were roaming Beleriand long before the Eldar first reached Beleriand, and it is probable that they wouldve gone unoticed, since the main Eldarin encampments were in Eastern Beleriand ( i.e Finwe in Neldoreth) whereas it would be expected that the Petty-Dwarves would reside in pre- Amon-Rudh-Nargothrond.

Mim would've had a natural dislike od elves, because of the slaying of Petty-Dwarves.taking of the land, though Tolkien also states that Beleg's refusal to give Melian's lemba's to Mim, who believed they would give him longeavel life, put Beleg further in his bad books, so to speak.

Last edited by Inderjit Sanghera : 04-03-2003 at 06:55 PM.
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote