Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-23-2016, 06:11 AM   #421
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Yes, I think the dinner is a perfect moment to bring all the characters together.

I think we discussed it before but now might be a good time to resort to smaller, individual posts, which might make things a little easier, but with keeping the collaborative posts if and when people would like one.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 03:09 PM   #422
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

I was thinking 'who should play Elrond?' and then I went back to see how we've done it so far.
Nobody has been the main writer to play him - Willow and I have both played him whenever one of our characters needed to interact with him. So I expect that should continue to work well - when the guests want to talk to him, just pull him into the conversation (or have him initiate it, as the case might be).

Willow has played Glorfindel, but I guess that he can be included in conversations even when she isn't around, just briefly?

I have played Rameldir and Ainon.

There are other names of Rivendell residents that have been mentioned, and these can be used freely - and new ones can be created, if more are needed. I think Willow made up most of their names, and those are good names - for my own part I'm going to use those people rather than create new ones myself.

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:01 AM   #423
Earniel

I would agree, there's quite an NPC-cast in Rivendell now to draw from, really little point in constantly making up new characters.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:55 PM   #424
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
*listens to crickets*

Oh come, it wasn't that bad a post!
It was a good post I'm just not around here much anymore I just have so much going on and so little energy. The chemo beat the cancer, but it beat me up a bit, too! Also, my hubby lost his job in a hostile takeover of the company, but the good news is that it looks like we're moving back to California, which I love, especially because my family is there! We are looking at starting up our own business - scary, but I think it's the right move.

I'm just not that into my characters anymore - kill 'em off if you want

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:17 AM   #425
Earniel

Sorry to hear you're still having health problems, RÃ*an. But I'm happy to hear about the move back to California, you always seemed happier there, I hope things work out. What kind of business were you looking to start up?

If you have lost interest in your characters, then perhaps it is time to wrap things up for good. It'll be less fun to continue with just the two of us since Willow hasn't been heard of for a while. (Although I'm game if you are, Varna. )

So maybe Rivendell is a good place to end this story. What say you, my friends?
Old 01-14-2017, 10:18 AM   #426
Varnafindë

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
The chemo beat the cancer, but it beat me up a bit, too!
It often does, doesn't it? But a good thing that you'll be moving closer to family!

Quote:
I'm just not that into my characters anymore - kill 'em off if you want
I guess we can move them to a little more of background characters rather than killing them off - at least at this point!

Could Eärniel take them over?

Or would you rather we killed them off than taking them over? If so, we can keep them in the background until we're travelling in some dangerous place and get in trouble - and when the trouble is over, we very sadly find that they were killed in the trouble. I've done this before with a character where the writer told me to kill it off. It was an easy way out when I didn't want to describe any further drama.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:21 AM   #427
Varnafindë

Crossposting again ...

I'll think about it. But it won't be easy for us if Willow doesn't turn up.

Edit:
If we continue, we need to make parts of the story less ambitious. I think we should leave Glorfindel behind, and I could just tell briefly how he solved Rameldir's troubles so that Rameldir now fights with a spear. We could also skip over most of Elrond's architecture and building project, and tell briefly that after a couple of months, he can do without us.

We could still visit Rameldir's friend - if your characters want to meet a Kinslayer, Eärniel?

And we should at least finish the dinner and have them meet Elrond.

Last edited by Varnafindë : 01-14-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:03 PM   #428
Earniel

When was the last time there were enough people of us online at the same time to crosspost?

I would definitely agree, if we decide to continue, to tone things down a bit.

I do would like some posts in Rivendell. I have -since the very beginning, when we first talked about it- been looking forward to having my characters contribute a little to the establishment of Rivendell as a proper dwelling. Seems like a shame to stop short of that. It doesn't have to take us years to do so. Nor be very elaborate, we can indeed refer to a few things in passing and speed up time to our liking. But a few posts in Rivendell, I feel, would be welcome.

But beyond that, we can either fade to black and quit, or we can look further to continue our journey (and go on to visit Rameldir's friend) with perhaps a limited character set. We can easily leave characters behind in Rivendell (who wouldn't want to stay?) we don't necessarily need to kill them off. I don't feel too comfortable playing other people's characters without them indefinitely.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:15 PM   #429
Varnafindë

Quote:
When was the last time there were enough people of us online at the same time to crosspost?
When indeed

Quote:
I would definitely agree, if we decide to continue, to tone things down a bit.

I do would like some posts in Rivendell. I have -since the very beginning, when we first talked about it- been looking forward to having my characters contribute a little to the establishment of Rivendell as a proper dwelling. Seems like a shame to stop short of that. It doesn't have to take us years to do so. Nor be very elaborate, we can indeed refer to a few things in passing and speed up time to our liking. But a few posts in Rivendell, I feel, would be welcome.
A whole section in Rivendell would be very good. The dinner - should I play Elrond? Rameldir is more of a secondary character at dinner - you should have a chance of giving the gifts from Lindon, there's a contribution even in that.

And something about the architecture and the building project. As I understand what we've written earlier, Elrond needs his people to be around for a couple of months before he will let them leave, to get the building project under way first. We can write episodes from those two months (or just write a summary, if that's all we feel like doing) about discussing architecture old and new, and about anything else that ought to be mentioned (like Rameldir and his sword/spear project).

When we started, we decided that we would do "a few posts in Rivendell" while the Lindon people were on their way ...

Quote:
But beyond that, we can either fade to black and quit, or we can look further to continue our journey (and go on to visit Rameldir's friend) with perhaps a limited character set. We can easily leave characters behind in Rivendell (who wouldn't want to stay?) we don't necessarily need to kill them off. I don't feel too comfortable playing other people's characters without them indefinitely.
Leaving RÃ*an's characters behind in Rivendell sounds like a far better idea than to kill them off. And much nicer

They decide to contribute to the designing and building of the place, right, with the best of their memories from Gondolin. And for some reason (which we may decide to work out or not) Glorfindel stays as well, at least for now.

There's a difference between "carrying" characters (that either need to be there for a while for the story, or need to be mentioned occasionally so we see that they still are around, to be picked up again later by the author) and "playing" them properly for someone else.

I have carried lots of characters in my own RPG (which I might admit has died now) on a different board, until I found good homes for them, and my character could say goodbye to them. But only once have I really played someone else's character - and that was a goodbye scene of sorts as well, with the approval of the author, who wanted the character written out of the story. I don't think I would have felt comfortable with playing it indefinitely either.

------------

Should I start planning a post where Elrond welcomes his guests over dinner?

Last edited by Varnafindë : 01-14-2017 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:45 AM   #430
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
When we started, we decided that we would do "a few posts in Rivendell" while the Lindon people were on their way ...
Heheheh, yes we did. But then, hoom, what can one expect from members of the Entmoot. We sure weren't hasty.

Quote:
Should I start planning a post where Elrond welcomes his guests over dinner?
Sounds good. Since Elrond belongs to nobody specific, everybody can write for Elrond. So you don't have to take on Elrond all on your own if and when you would prefer not to.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:18 PM   #431
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Sorry to hear you're still having health problems, RÃ*an. But I'm happy to hear about the move back to California, you always seemed happier there, I hope things work out. What kind of business were you looking to start up?
We ended up going with another job, and he started a few weeks ago while I stay here with the 2 youngest kids so they can finish up their semester.

Yay! We're actually packing!!!!

Quote:
If you have lost interest in your characters, then perhaps it is time to wrap things up for good. It'll be less fun to continue with just the two of us since Willow hasn't been heard of for a while. (Although I'm game if you are, Varna. )

So maybe Rivendell is a good place to end this story. What say you, my friends?
Yeah, I don't see me doing any posting here for quite some time, what with the move and all. I just don't seem to have the urge to write anymore. Maybe it will come back after we move back to California. I'm so glad we're going back. My parents are really getting up there in age, and we'll be able to help my sister take them to doctor appointments and things like that.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 04-03-2017, 09:21 PM   #432
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
Leaving RÃ*an's characters behind in Rivendell sounds like a far better idea than to kill them off. And much nicer
LOL!

Quote:
They decide to contribute to the designing and building of the place, right, with the best of their memories from Gondolin.
That sounds good. I've always liked Rivendell. I'll start working on a post and will have it up before 2020, I promise

Old 05-04-2017, 09:28 AM   #433
Earniel

2020 sounds feasible, if our history is anything to go by.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:09 PM   #434
Varnafindë

I'm still hoping for 2017 for my post. Probably shouldn't promise anything, though ...

Old 05-28-2017, 02:43 PM   #435
Earniel

We-ell, that depends... Would the guilt over a made promise help to get that post written before the year is up? In which case I'd be happy to heap on the guilt.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:49 PM   #436
Varnafindë

It's worth trying. I promise, then.

Old 09-07-2017, 01:03 PM   #437
Varnafindë

I haven't got very far - but I'll reread the last few pages properly (in print-out) to see what Elrond knows and how he's likely to behave.

Still almost four monts left before deadline

Old 09-20-2017, 11:01 AM   #438
Earniel

It's okay.

I'll just keep the guilt-heap on stand-by, then.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:42 AM   #439
Varnafindë

The promise has not been forgotten - but I'm still not sure how to handle the next few details. (If you have any suggestions that might be useful for me, feel free to PM me.) I really want to get this done within the next six weeks.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:19 AM   #440
Earniel

What are the details you want a hand with? Might as well use this thread for it, unless you prefer PM.