Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #361
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

So. Um. Do we finally get to enter Rivendell?! Pretty please? We've been travelling for four years to it now. Even Elven patience runs out, you know.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #362
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
Now I REALLY should get my act together and get Rameldir with his guests to Rivendell before the others arrive

Good that I had been able to contribute some facts about who waits where, at least

Sorry about the delay! I've been inspired by Willow now (and got some suggestions from her text on how to handle some things), so hopefully Eärniel should get something in a few days ...
Now I REALLY ...

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:00 AM   #363
Earniel

Yeah, REALLY. I was reading that post earlier this week thinking hang on, I never did get anything in the mail.

So now you REALLY.

*locks Varna in her room and she won't be allowed to come out until she has a post. REALLY.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #364
Varnafindë

*sits in her room and has started writing*

I reread the threads to find which of the male Elves Rameldir would have recognized.
When I found that one of them, Alagos, had been a famous archer in Gondolin, I first thought that he would be the one - but now I'm not so sure.

If Alagos was also an archer at Mithlond/Lindon, wouldn't Rameldir have known him there then - and wouldn't they both have known and recognized each other? Perhaps he wasn't part of the army, so Rameldir wouldn't have known him at all - I think it must have been one or the other: Either quite well, or not at all.

So the Elf that Rameldir vaguely recognizes, must be the other one, Tyaron - would you agree?

Old 03-12-2013, 06:01 AM   #365
Earniel

Oh, RÃ*aaaa-aan! A question for you!
Old 03-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #366
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

yes, that sounds good. Both Tyaron and Alagos would have been in the army, but Tyaron is more of a swordsman, while Alagos is an archer.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:14 AM   #367
Varnafindë

Perhaps it doesn't sound as good as you think (at least not as straight forward ...)
I'll explain further in a PM.

Last edited by Varnafindë : 03-17-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #368
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Yay! It lives!
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:12 AM   #369
Earniel

Well, like a good dr. Frankenstein, we need to apply a little electric shock from time to time (or a good poke) to make it live.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #370
Varnafindë

And now I'm finally working on it again.
I did some work a few weeks ago - and I'll carry on now ...

Rian, if you see this - there's a question in my last PM to you (a long time ago) that will need an answer eventually. Whether we put the answer into the story or not

Old 08-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #371
Varnafindë

And where did I put the small notebook I was working in?

Old 09-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #372
Earniel

How's it coming along, Varna?

Not to bother you or anything, but I've been trying to get my dried-out writing juices flowing again for Nanowrimo and RPG would work perfectly for that.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #373
Varnafindë

*hides*
*pretends to be somewhere else*
*pretends to be someone else ...*

*lifts her head carefully, watching out for flying tomatoes*

I have neglected the Tolkien boards lately, including this RPG.
I should find my notes/drafts, type them out and mail them to you for comments and further expanding.
That could at least get us moving again.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:20 AM   #374
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Hey guys, I've decided that I just can't handle this. My daughter's recent catastrophic health issues, along with my son's handicap and my chronic health issues, are just too much for me, and I just can't write now

Feel free to give my characters a horrific and interesting death that will help the storyline!

I really, really miss writing with you guys, but I simply CANNOT handle it, and I don't want to hold you guys up.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 10-08-2013, 06:05 AM   #375
Earniel

Quote:
*hides*
*pretends to be somewhere else*
*pretends to be someone else ...*

*lifts her head carefully, watching out for flying tomatoes*

I have neglected the Tolkien boards lately, including this RPG.
I should find my notes/drafts, type them out and mail them to you for comments and further expanding.
That could at least get us moving again.
*drags Varna out of hiding*

Those notes are really good at hiding, I should think.

But you know, no rush. If you're busy, we're happy to wait, if you have time, my PM inbox is all set and waiting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
Hey guys, I've decided that I just can't handle this. My daughter's recent catastrophic health issues, along with my son's handicap and my chronic health issues, are just too much for me, and I just can't write now

Feel free to give my characters a horrific and interesting death that will help the storyline!

I really, really miss writing with you guys, but I simply CANNOT handle it, and I don't want to hold you guys up.
Hey now, hey now. No need for such drastic measures. You're not holding us up. It's just Varna who's doing that right now. (Just kidding )

But jokes aside, let me say it again since it bears repeating: you're not holding us up, you're not letting us down. You've got nothing to feel bad about. Don't worry about us.

This game is supposed to be fun and entertaining, not a source of undue worry. It shouldn't be something to stress about, especially since you've got enough of those already. (Sorry to hear things still aren't working out medically. I really hope they will soon )
Old 10-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #376
Varnafindë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
Hey now, hey now. No need for such drastic measures. You're not holding us up. It's just Varna who's doing that right now. (Just kidding )
It's true, though

Quote:
But jokes aside, let me say it again since it bears repeating: you're not holding us up, you're not letting us down. You've got nothing to feel bad about. Don't worry about us.

This game is supposed to be fun and entertaining, not a source of undue worry. It shouldn't be something to stress about, especially since you've got enough of those already. (Sorry to hear things still aren't working out medically. I really hope they will soon )
I second that.

And there's definitely no reason to kill off your characters. The way we've been writing this, they can be carried by the other writers. We can write about them, mention that they are there, just perhaps not go as much into detail as when you were actively writing. I guess they just won't be as active in the story for a part of the future.

Would you be ok with answering questions about them in PMs, if we're desperate for details, or would you rather we didn't send you such questions, and left you just as another reader for a while?

Old 10-14-2013, 02:58 AM   #377
Rían

I think just leave me as a reader - I saw your questions, and I really don't know the answers because I haven't thought about it for so long and frankly, I can't remember a lot about them now.

Maybe I should make them just wander off on their own, and then bring in a new character that has no background and doesn't want to talk about his/her background. I just can't handle background or any type of canon-type thinking right now It really sucks. I'm definitely in Mordor And to have it happen to my daughter, who is only 17 I thought my plate was full before, with my own medical issues and my son's handicap, but this is just overwhelming... and then to be in a state that I hate, and away from my very supportive familiy and among my in-law family that is not supportive, and to be in some really hard marital stuff on top of that (I was always nervous about moving closer to my in-law family, because I've heard that that can really be damaging to a marriage, and yes, it has been )

Sorry to dump on you all, but you guys are so nice and it just helps to hear a friendly voice sometimes...

I'm starting to like the mystery character idea more and more - what do you guys think?

Last edited by Rían : 10-14-2013 at 03:01 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #378
Earniel

You're not dumping anything on us. Don't worry. Medical issues are just never fun. No one ever realises how lucky one is with one's health until it fails. (I just had recent reminder of that myself. My earlier nemesis, the bacterial skin infection, came to say hello two months ago and promptly outstayed his welcome for the following six, seven weeks. I'm not entirely sure its suitcase is fully packed just yet either...)

But to have to see it in one's kids too, that's doubly tough. So have some and some more . (Don't worry, I'm not contageous. )

As for the game, sure, if you don't want to deal with character background and history right now, I don't see why your three characters can't fade into the scenery of Rivendell now that's we've reached it. Maybe Varna and I can keep meetings and who-might-have-known-who-in-the-past vague enough so we don't have to work out too many details and won't risk contradicting ourselves until they can fade away. That way you can still bring them up briefly or fully if wanted.

And now that we're in Rivendell, there's no reason why you can't pick a new, background-lite character if you want. We were (originally) planning on staying a little while here anyway. I expect... quite few years, judging by our previous progress...
Old 10-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #379
Varnafindë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
As for the game, sure, if you don't want to deal with character background and history right now, I don't see why your three characters can't fade into the scenery of Rivendell now that's we've reached it. Maybe Varna and I can keep meetings and who-might-have-known-who-in-the-past vague enough so we don't have to work out too many details and won't risk contradicting ourselves until they can fade away. That way you can still bring them up briefly or fully if wanted.
I fully agree. I'm good at being vague about areas where I don't want to go into detail. Rameldir doesn't remember rightly, and he chooses not to ask, leaving them to look forward rather than going too much into detail about the past.

So don't worry about it, and bring them back later if you feel like it. We won't discuss any details until then.

But if a new character is growing on you, by all means write about that character instead! If it means you can have fun writing, that's the most important part of this project. I don't know how many others read this, but we are at least entertaning each other

*goes to look for that book with her notes - again*

Old 12-16-2013, 07:32 AM   #380
Earniel

Quote:
*goes to look for that book with her notes - again*
Are they still playing hide and seek?