Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-24-2005, 11:56 AM   #1
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

The Littlest Ent

my brother and i are working on this as a children's story. i came up with the storyline based off of a picture he did. he's going to do some illustrations for it now that i'm done revising (i think...) when he's done, maybe i'll post them if he'll let me

In Fangorn forest, in the land of Middle-earth, there lived a race of beings known as the Ents. The Ents were a peaceful people; a slow and steady people. They had the calmness of the forest about them, and they resembled the trees they looked after.
For that was what the Ents did. They were the tree shepherds. They had been taking care of the wood since the First Age, and knew every tree’s name and personality. The mighty oaks bowed down to them, and only the Ents could calm a weeping willow. The evergreens chuckled at their joking, and the tall beeches offered their services as the sheltering walls of their houses.
All the Ents were tall and strong, and their leafy heads brushed the clouds in the sky. All the Ents, that is, except for one. His name was Short-Leaf, and he was just an Enting. While the bigger Ents held council with eagles and elves, Short-Leaf would play in the grottos of Fangorn with the butterflies and rabbits. The others took care of the tall and majestic redwoods and maples, while Short-Leaf cared for the saplings and looked after the ferns. He had a happy enough life, and really did love his little charges, but he still longed to be big and mighty like the other Ents, and to take care of the more important trees.
One day he gathered up his courage and went to talk to Treebeard about his place in the forest. Treebeard was the oldest of the Ents, and was known throughout Fangorn to be wise and kind. Short-Leaf hoped he was in an extra-good mood today.
When he arrived at Treebeard’s home, he took a minute to appreciate the beauty of the place. It wasn’t anything as cozy as his grotto, where the trees parted just right so that the sun shone through onto a lone patch of Elanor, which was thought to grow only in the glades of Lothlorien. Treebeard’s home was much larger than Short-Leaf’s little clearing, and was truly a sight to see. After he passed through a curtain of weeping willow boughs, Short-Leaf found himself gazing into a brook and a pond off to one side. The moss on the trees glistened in the sunlight, and the whole place seemed to banish the shadow that perpetually dwelt in the wood. Treebeard stood to one side, looking out towards the southern part of the forest. He was talking with Merry and Pippin, the two Hobbits who had recently come to Fangorn.
The arrival of the hobbits had triggered a change in the wood. Things were on the move, Short-Leaf could feel it in the wind. Just a day ago, the Entmoot had been called. Short-Leaf hadn’t really paid attention, since he was considered too young to partake in the great meeting.
Finally, there was a break in the great Ent’s conversation, and he caught sight of Short-Leaf. In two strides Treebeard crossed the rather large glade and stooped down to speak to Short-Leaf.
“Hoom-hum,” Treebeard smiled down at Short-Leaf. “And what brings you here, little Enting?”
Short-Leaf gulped, cleared his throat, and stated his case. “Well, I’ve been thinking. I love caring for the saplings, and the ferns are also wondrous in their own little way. I suppose it’s a great job to have here in Fangorn, but- well- isn’t there a job that you could give one that was bigger and more important?” He looked up at Treebeard hopefully.
Hearing the Enting’s request, Treebeard began to chuckle. “Brroom-Rum-Tum; silly little Ent! You are as yet too small to take care of the big trees. They are just too mighty for you!”
Short-Leaf looked down at the moss-covered ground. “But isn’t there something important I could do?”
“Well, I’m sure we could think of something more for you to do, Treebeard replied kindly. “But right now, great things are happening. This is an evil time for Fangorn; for all of Middle-earth. The wizard, Saruman, has turned to the ways of the Dark Lord, Sauron, and has been cutting down the forest to the South. The Ents march to Isengard today to stop his madness.”
Short-Leaf looked up excitedly. “Then I will go with you, and help stop the tyranny of Saruman.” He began walking out of the clearing toward the great line of Ents that were marching past.
Treebeard put his hand on Short-Leaf’s head. “I’m sorry, little one,” he said gently. “But war is now place for an Enting. You must stay here, and care for the little things of the forest while we are away.”
The Treebeard turned and joined the great march to Isengard.
Short-Leaf sighed and began the walk back to his grotto. On the way out he stopped at the brook and looked at his reflection. “See? You can’t do anything! You’ll never be big enough to do anything important for Fangorn!” He turned and left the clearing with a small tear rolling down his barky skin, and went home to be consoled by the creatures of the wood.

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.

Last edited by Lady Ravyn : 02-24-2005 at 11:58 AM.
Lady Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:58 AM   #2
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

part 2...

That night, Short-Leaf lay awake amid the ferns, listening to the sounds of battle coming from the South. The sky had an eerie tint to it, and clouds were rapidly moving in. If Short-Leaf didn’t know any better, he would have thought there was a storm coming in. Suddenly thunder boomed and Short-Leaf saw lightning flash through the sky.
The saplings began to quiver in fear. The rabbits gathered at Short-Leaf’s feet, and the squirrels clung to his branch-like arms. All the small things of Fangorn cried out as the storm raged, for most of the Ents were at Isengard, and not there to protect them. A great tumult broke out in the wood as trees and animals alike shrieked and murmured in terror.
And suddenly, all was quiet, because everyone was listening to one tiny, but strong voice. It was singing a little tune sung by the Elves to comfort frightened children. The voice was slow and melodic, and stretched throughout the entire forest. All the trees listened, and the creatures of Fangorn followed the voice back to the little grotto where Short-Leaf lived.
Short-Leaf continued singing all through the night, ‘til the storm blew away with the wind at dawn. And there in his grotto, all the animals spent the night gathered around the little Enting as he soothed the wood from their fears.
As the sun rose, the clouds that had been present over Fangorn for so long parted, and Short-Leaf knew that all had gone well in Isengard, and that the wickedness of Saruman was diminishing. He continued his song however, as it had seemed to become almost a permanent part of the forest, so long had he been singing it.
Soon Short-Leaf felt a hand placed gently on his head, and the melody stopped as he looked up. Treebeard had returned and followed the voice to the little clearing.
“So, little Short-Leaf,” Treebeard smiled. “I see you’ve been busy while we were away.”
At Treebeard’s words, the animals began waking up. They ran to Treebeard and were joyful because he was home. They began telling him, in their own way, of how brave Short-Leaf had been: How he had kept them calm and offered his protection, and how he had sung his beautiful song to the forest all night long. Short-Leaf began to feel embarrassed, such was their flattery.
The creatures’ tale had made Treebeard grin even wider. “Hoom- hum, little Ent; well you have been busy! It was a brave thing what you did. You have shown great courage.”
Short-Leaf blushed. “They were so afraid! I had to do something!”
“And do something you did.” Treebeard patted the little Ent’s head again. “For I think that now you’ve realized that sometimes the smallest job is the most important of all.”
“Yes, I know that now,” Short-Leaf nodded, and picked up a rabbit baby to pet. “These little ones really do need someone to care for them.”
“And I think you’re just the Ent to do it.” Treebeard turned to the South once more. “There is still much work to be done in Isengard; I must go back shortly.” He looked back at Short-Leaf. “Would you like to come with me, little Enting? To aid us? One as brave as you would be a great help.”
Short-Leaf looked around at his beloved saplings and smiled. “No, I think I shall stay. It is here, at home, where I am needed the most.”
so what do ya think? does it need anything?

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Lady Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote