Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-14-2003, 01:08 PM   #381
Leah
Sapling

Arwen Undomiel

I like Eowyn. She's a strong female, a good fighter, and slayed (slew?) the witch king.
Leah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 07:33 AM   #382
Elrond the Wise
Sapling

I like ARwen more...but only becouse she is an elf. I love elfs and they are my favorite characters, but if they would both be humans I`d take Eowyn
Elrond the Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 10:32 AM   #383
melianmaia
Sapling

Arwen Undomiel

i think i like arwen more. perhaps because she is an elf, with strong mental powers and intelligence. but i also like eowyn a lot- she strong and brave
melianmaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 03:42 PM   #384
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

I agree, Arwen is my favourite deffinately but maybe it's only because she's an Elf, i don't know but she's my favourite. She gave up her immortality for her true love.
I do like Eowyn though she's a strong woman and a fighter and from Rohan.
Overall i think that they are both strong amazing women but Arwen is my favourite.
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 01:51 PM   #385
Melonethriel
Sapling

Strider

Ok, definetely Eowyn. Arwen doesn't do anything important in the books, that's why they exchanged Glorfindel for Arwen, so that people don't say "Why in the world would Aragorn Marry her?" She is only Aragorn's love, she doesn't do much else. Eowyn is cool, because she actually fights. She can go out in battle, and beat the witch king, while Arwen high-tails it with her dad.
And on the 'net, chat to them!
Melonethriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 04:17 PM   #386
jellyfishannah
Elven Warrior

This is like the 'Padme or Leia' thread. Eowyn!! Arwen is stupid in the movie and boring in the books. Eowyn is always cool.

Quote:
Ok, definetely Eowyn. Arwen doesn't do anything important in the books, that's why they exchanged Glorfindel for Arwen, so that people don't say "Why in the world would Aragorn Marry her?" She is only Aragorn's love, she doesn't do much else. Eowyn is cool, because she actually fights. She can go out in battle, and beat the witch king, while Arwen high-tails it with her dad.
Exactly my point.....

"Don't tell lies you can't keep." ~My little sister...

Last edited by jellyfishannah : 12-20-2003 at 04:21 PM.
jellyfishannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 05:50 PM   #387
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Oh no! You can't do this! It's impossible to compare them. They're both wonderful in their own way. It breakes my heart when u compare them!

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 09:53 PM   #388
Anadriewen
Enting

I'm not sure. I took a quiz and I have the most in common with Eowyn but I still can't decide
Old 02-13-2004, 03:50 AM   #389
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

lol they both have their virtues, beauty and intelligence for Arwen, spirit and strength for Eowyn, and passion for both, although neither of the two lack any of these qualities.

if seeking a favourite, how about Luthien? she embodies all the valued characteristics of Eowyn and Arwen. She is a lover and a fighter, and her perils and sacrifices were greater than Eowyn's or Arwen's. Plus, she's not only an elf, but half Maiar, and she's described as being the most beautiful creature ever to walk the lands of Middle Earth. Luthien is cool...

however, between Eowyn and Arwen I choose Eowyn. Hands down.
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 09:22 AM   #390
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

It's a close call. I don't know who I'd pick. They are both great characters (talking about the books only!). I mean, yes Eowyn gets to do all the fighting and she has great determination. But Arwen is an ELF!!! The Elves are my favorite creatures and that contributes alot too. And I'd have to agree with elixir on this one. Arwen chose mortality to be with the man that she loved. Now that takes guts too. Okay, so I'm not usually the one for these love stories, but this is one exception.
In my eyes they are both as good as each other and I don't think that you can compare them.
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 12:10 PM   #391
Thorin II
Elven Warrior

Tough call because they're so different, but I'll vote for Arwen. I appreciate Eowyn's valor, but I prefer Arwen's consistency and strength. The fact that she's the most beautiful female in Middle-earch doesn't hurt, either...
Old 02-13-2004, 02:13 PM   #392
Beor
founder of the color blue

Gimli

I like them both quite a bit, but I am a sucker for dark hair. Arwen.

In Eowyn's defense, I do like a woman that can kick my ass .
Old 02-13-2004, 02:37 PM   #393
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

I like both, and don't have anything against Arwen, but Eowyn is definetly my favorite.

She is more interesting, and has more depth. I also like that she doesn't let herself be forced to what is expected of women, instead of what she wants to do.

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
ethuiliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 10:50 PM   #394
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by Beor
I am a sucker for dark hair

Eowyn definetly; she's not wimpy like Arwen, and takes controll of her destiny- I always like those sort of characters in books. Actually, she's my favorite character besides Faramir; when I read that they got married, I was glad- my two fav characters- together

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Lady Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 05:52 PM   #395
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

Quote:
Actually, she's my favorite character besides Faramir; when I read that they got married, I was glad- my two fav characters- together
I agree completely. I think a lot of Faramir fans like Eowyn, and did so before they realized that they got together. And we're all happy that they get eachother.

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
ethuiliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 04:21 AM   #396
Aldhelm
Sapling

Out of those two I would prefer Eowyn. Arwen isn't bad but she barely does anything. Eowyn is far more developed as a character.

Personally I prefer Luthien anyway.
Aldhelm is offline   Reply With Quote