Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-12-2002, 05:25 AM   #21
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Eowyn is definately better than Arwen. What did Arwen do when the war of the ring was on? Stayed at home. At least Eowyn had the guts to go out and fight against the dark lord. I know that Aragorn and Arwen's family tree makes them the perfect couple and it probably couldn't be any other way, it would have cool it Aragorn and Eowyn got together.
Old 04-13-2002, 04:14 PM   #22
Ërendil
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Comic Book Guy

If you don't mind me asking, why?
She just seems too perfect and delicate and i personally dont like that type of girl. Too stereotypical. Eowyn was much better, with a more in depth character. That is the book reason anyway.

"Hehehehe, moeru moeru!"

"That's it, set it all on fire; we're gonna smoke out Escaflowne!"

"Oh, I hit the wrong target... never mind that creature was useless to us anyway. Our orders were to get the girl? So he isn't our concern, we don't need him!"

^_^ Isn't Dilandau just fantastic? You just have to love the insane, murderous pyro :-D
Ërendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 04:34 PM   #23
olsonm
Elf Lord

Arwen wasn't invented until Tolkien was almost done with Lotr and he didn't want to rewrite the book just to fit Arwen in. That's why most of her stuff is in the appends. I don't think we know enough about Arwen to say with certainty what she would have done with a more active role.
I agree that Eowyn outshines Arwen (and lots of others too!) that's why she one of my favs.
Old 04-13-2002, 06:52 PM   #24
Elvellon
Elf Lord

I too prefer Eowyn. Her character is much more developed.

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 11:03 AM   #25
RosieCotton
Elven Warrior

Eowyn. We known about her more as a person and she is much more developed. She goes out and does things, she kicks butt like the best of them. I wish more was said about Arwen, then I would probably appriciate her much more.
Rosie
He snatches the moons from out of the sky.
RosieCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 03:50 PM   #26
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Arwen. She seems girly and weak, but she must have a lot of inner strength to give up immortality and her father to marry Aragorn. Also, it can't be easy to sit at home and do nothing while the man you love is in great danger and the whole world is under threat - just because she doesn't abandon her people and her duty to go and fight doesn't mean she isn't brave. Eowyn annoys me, she's too self-centred, although the killing of the Nazgul King is really cool.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 04:37 PM   #27
Wulažg
Elven Warrior

Arwen definitely, since I like elves more than humans. Beauty should be delicate anyway.
Wulažg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 11:23 AM   #28
Aragorns Dimple
Enting

I began a thread around two months ago asking the same question, but more from a "who's the better babe for Aragorn?" point of view. I was puzzled by his choice of Arwen, but I guess their story was never really told in FULL detail. Anyway, there's bunch of other opinions on Arwen and Eowyn there if anyone is interested in investigating further.

http://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/show...&threadid=3581

Old 04-15-2002, 12:01 PM   #29
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Location: Pennsylvania, but I have a vacation home in the Westfarthing.
Well, I would have to go with Arwen from the Elves v Humans standpoint. Also Arwen never gets crushes on powerful guys just because.

Aure Entuleva!

John Kerry for President!
Beleg Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 12:13 PM   #30
Maydall
Sapling

I'd prefer Arwen...there wasn't much of her in the books but hey she got Aragorn.....a BIG plus
Maydall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 02:22 PM   #31
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Gandalf

I will arrange the thread. til now:

Eowyn: 19
Arwen: 7
and I'm still with Arwen!!!!
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 07:12 PM   #32
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Éowyn is definately my favourite. In that scene in the Two Towers when Aragorn is about to go off to the Paths of the Dead and Éowyn wants to go with him, that was when I was like, 'okay this girl is really a great character: brave, passionate, deep. It was when she fell to her knees and pleaded with Aragorn to let her come along: "I beg thee!" she said! That was what hooked me into her character. Wow.
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 08:02 PM   #33
Handmaiden of Yavanna
Elven Warrior

Poor Arwen. It seems a mortal has beat her in likability. Good for her Aragorn didn't think the same way.

By the way, I'm with Eowyn! GO NAZGUL KICKIN CHICKS EVERYWHERE!!!

(No offense Nazgul Queen, when I say nazgul in that term I mean male nazguls.)
She wandered wayward for a time, from the gardens of the gods to climb the everlasting mountains free that look upon the outmost sea, and never wandered back but stayed softly singing from glade to glade.
Handmaiden of Yavanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 10:28 PM   #34
Nazgûl Queen
Elven Warrior

None taken.
I also like her for being a human with the courage, skill and faith to defeat one of my brethren.

The Nazgûl Queen she was, the Ringwraith, the enemy's most terrible servant; darkness went with her and she cried with the voices of death.

Can be found loitering at Fantasy Essentials or her livejournal...
Nazgûl Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 01:08 AM   #35
Glorfindel
Sapling

Eowyn. Eowyn's cool!
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 02:14 PM   #36
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Eowyn didn't have courage, she had a death wish.

Also, don't knock the banner! The standard and the standard bearer are key elements in battle. Theoden didn't go for the standard bearer because there was no one more powerful around at the moment, he knew that once the banner fell, the soldiers would easily scatter. They could be cut off from the main body. The fighting force could be penetrated because the soldiers wouldn't be able to rally together.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 04:49 PM   #37
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast The Brown
I like Arwen more then Eowyn. I guess it's becouse she's elf... but I still like her more then Eowyn.
How could you pick arwen over Eowyn? She rules!
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 05:13 PM   #38
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
originally posted by TwirlingString

How could you pick arwen over Eowyn? She rules!
I think the question here isn't how, it's why. and the answer is because I liked her more then Eowyn!!!
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 07:09 PM   #39
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Sorry, sorry, didn't mean to strick a nerve. (jeez) She is an ok character, but I still like mine more.
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
Old 04-16-2002, 07:12 PM   #40
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowfax
Éowyn is definately my favourite. In that scene in the Two Towers when Aragorn is about to go off to the Paths of the Dead and Éowyn wants to go with him, that was when I was like, 'okay this girl is really a great character: brave, passionate, deep. It was when she fell to her knees and pleaded with Aragorn to let her come along: "I beg thee!" she said! That was what hooked me into her character. Wow.
that was a good scence. I think that's what got me hooked on her too!