Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-03-2000, 01:10 PM   #1
andustar

trivia game

ok ive no idea if this will work since ive only done it in e mails before, but... i'll give it a try, ok?

it goes like this: someone takes a sentance out of lotr (not from appendixes or forwards or anything, only the main text)

they put it up and we have to find it in our books and give the next sentance as proof.

now its not that simple, there are some rules to it - it must be at least one full sentance, but the difficulty can range from 'eleventy one years are too short a time to spend among you' to 'but they do' . if its easy like bilbo's speech, you don't need to give any help. if its very difficult like 'but they do' then you need to tell either which which of the three volumes it comes from, or from the six smaller books, i leave it open to you to chose. just don't be unreasonable! (the person who did it with me by e mail gave me 'but they do' with no hints at all and it was impossible)

i think thats about it, i'll start it off with an example, from the Fellowship of the Ring:
'if simple folk are free from care and fear simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so'
then you would say that the next sentance is
'that has been the task of my kinderd while the years....' you don't have to give more than that, its just proof that you found it

ok i'll give an easy one for the first time. from book four
Into the stronghold of the enemy in the north, into Dol Guldur, he had once ventured.

if no one answers in a week then whoever put it up must give the answer and a new quote.
want to try?
Old 05-03-2000, 04:03 PM   #2
Eruve

Re: trivia game

But into Mordor, to the Mountain of Fire and to Barad-dur, since the Dark Lord rose to power again, had he ever journeyed there?

From Book III:
'Twenty-one!' cried Gimli.
Old 05-05-2000, 11:27 AM   #3
andustar

'Twenty one!' cried Gimli. He hewed a two handed stroke and laid the last orc before his feet.

hm, ok. i think i'll give a harder one this time. from book five.

He may, perhaps, hold his men together long enough, but i doubt it.

lets see you find that one so quickly, eruve!
Old 05-05-2000, 01:27 PM   #4
Eruve

I found the other one quickly, because it had Dol Guldur in it. I just looked up Dol Guldur in the index... I'll be hunting the new one later!!
Old 05-05-2000, 03:27 PM   #5
Eruve

Found it!

Even without an index...

'No,' said Gandalf. 'But he still lived when I left him. Yet he resolved to stay with the rearguard, lest the retreat over the Pelennor become a rout. He may, perhaps, hold his men together long enough, but I doubt it. He is pitted against a foe too great. For one has come that I feared.'

OK, a new one...
From Book II: For my part, I will risk no hurt to this thing: of all the works of Sauron the only fair.
Old 05-05-2000, 05:33 PM   #6
Finduilas

Re: Found it!

The scroll Gandalf read in The Council of Elrond
Then it continues: "It is precious to me though I buy it with great pain."

Next sentence:
Fellowship of the Rings:
"All is now ready for you."
Old 05-07-2000, 08:58 AM   #7
andustar

hard

difficult one... but i will get it eventually!

andustar
Old 05-07-2000, 12:52 PM   #8
anduin

Re: hard

Enter the boats! But take care at first.
Farewell to Lorien

next sentence:
Return of the King
For about this time of the year, when the leaves are gold before they fall, look for Bilbo in the woods of the Shire.
Old 05-07-2000, 02:16 PM   #9
Fat middle

easy, it´s the end of many partings: "These words no one else, hear, and Frodo kept them to himself"

and now, from Book II: "Annon edhellen, edro hi ammen!"
Old 05-07-2000, 03:50 PM   #10
bmilder

And that's what Gandalf said at Moria. (I only know because I re-read FotR this week )

the next line was "Fennas nogothrim, lasto beth lammen!" (Beats me what that means )

Ok here's mine:

Book I:
"He thought of himself running free over the grass, grieving for Merry, and Sam, and Pippin, but free and alive himself."
Old 05-07-2000, 04:56 PM   #11
Finduilas

Gandalf would admit there had been nothing else he could do.

Two Towers:
"But still I am afraid."
Old 05-07-2000, 05:00 PM   #12
Eruve

That's from the Barrow-wight scene.

The next line is:
Gandalf would admit that there had been nothing else he could do.

From Fellowship. "Frodo had a very trying time that afternoon."
Old 05-07-2000, 05:14 PM   #13
bmilder

Well, Finduilas got in first. I'll answer Eruve's anyway, but after that we'll concentrate on Finduilas's.
"A false rumour that the whole household was being distributed free spread like wildfire; and before long the place was packed with people who had no business there, but could not be kept out."

I have an interesting story about that line, "Frodo had a very trying time that afternoon." I tried to read LotR to my brother when he was younger, and I wasn't sure if he was paying attention, so when I got to that sentence I repeated it ten times to see if he'd notice (he didn't, if I recall correctly ). Then as a joke, I'd throw that line in throughout the story

Now back to Finduilas's, "But still I am afraid" from the Two Towers.
Old 05-15-2000, 07:05 PM   #14
andustar

Re: hard, very hard finduilas!

finduilas, i can't get that one, i tried hard really i did! but it doesn't look like anyone else can do it, so as the week is up and you are unanswered please tell us the answer and give a different one!
(phew, what a long sentance)
ok finduilas? i really want to know where you got that from!
or wait - maybe you could just give a hint? like what book out of six is it from, or who said it?

andustar
Old 05-15-2000, 08:28 PM   #15
anduin

Re: hard, very hard finduilas!

Finally!!

From The Taming of Smeagol: "And yet, as you see, I will not touch the creature. For now that I see him, I do pity him."

Next, an easy one: "Take your sword and bear it unto good fortune!"
Old 05-15-2000, 10:47 PM   #16
galadriel2

"Take your sword...

"Take you sword and bear it unto good fortune!:
"As a father you shall be to me,"said Merry.

"Forgive me, lord,"he said at last,"if I have broken your comand, and yet have done no more in your service than to weep at our parting."

Galadriel2
Old 05-16-2000, 12:06 PM   #17
Eruve

Re: "Take your sword...

That's Merry at the death of Theoden. Next line: "The old king smiled."

I'll borrow from my own post for the next one:
"A few little fishes, nasty bony little fishes, for a poor creature, and they say death."
Old 05-16-2000, 05:01 PM   #18
Finduilas

Re: "Take your sword...

So wise they are; so just, so very just.

next sentence:

Nay, lady, I am the last of the NĂºmenoreans and the latest King of the Elder Days; and to me has been given not only a span thrice that of Men of Middle-Earth, but also the grace to go at my will and give back the gift.
Old 05-16-2000, 05:20 PM   #19
Eruve

Too easy!

(For once.) Now, therefore I will sleep.

Gandalf laughed long and merrily.
Old 05-17-2000, 07:53 PM   #20
andustar

Re: FAR Too easy!

well even thought your not supposed to use the appendixes... never mind its not important

Gandalf laughed long and merrily. 'The trees?' he said. 'Nay, I see the wood as plainly as you do.'
from the road to isengaurd.

ok, heres one, should puzzle you all for a while! (i hope)

A few woves howled mournfully, far away.