Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-10-2001, 11:48 PM   #21
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

So, as I scroll down this thread...

Nobody for "Sauron" or "Morgoth" so far, eh?
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 09:38 PM   #22
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
No text up here

I know!!! I know!!!....Thror!. I really like Elanor. Peregrin would be a good middle name and Merry would be a good first name, Samwise has a ring to it and so does Beren, I also like Faramir for a middle name, there are lots more but my brain is running on low.
Sam
Ps. My first name is that of a queen(one of King Davids to be exact) and a first lady.
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 06:29 PM   #23
AbacusTafai
Hobbit

I would seriously name at least one of my kids either Eowyn or Arwen
Old 10-19-2001, 08:56 PM   #24
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Agreed.

Maybe we should discuss what names from LOTR you would give to your pets.

Or your electronic devices. (I think I started a thread like that ages and ages ago)
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Old 10-20-2001, 01:22 AM   #25
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I have an enormous long-haired tri-coloured English guinea pig named Fredegar Bolger, as someone found out a while ago when they asked who he was. I had another cavy named Bilbo (it was smaller, a bit chubby and all white), but when we found out it was a girl (contrary to what we were told) it became Belba (I think she was an aunt of Bilbo's). We almost named one of our dogs Strider, he's a big, furry, black golden-retriever (believe it or not). I'm glad we didn't, he turned out to be a real goof-ball.

Wait a minute, did you say electronic devices?
Old 10-21-2001, 01:21 AM   #26
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Yes.

My two calculators are Glamdring and Anduril, and my computer is Shadowfax (though quite honestly it's been running REALLY slow lately)

Old 10-21-2001, 07:05 PM   #27
galadriel
Elven Warrior

When I was eight I wanted to name my hamster Frodo. But my brother wanted a different name, so we merged the two names together. I can't remember for my life what the poor thing's name was anymore.

I have a porcelain dog on my nightstand named Huan, and a cool-looking wizard necklace named Saruman. (He looks way too evil to be Gandalf.)

You've named your calculators? That's cool, although incredibly weird. No more weirder than me naming my necklace, I suppose.

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2001, 09:35 AM   #28
Elessar_elfstone
Hobbit

Strider

Hmmm,
I from an Asian country so I don't think there are any names really suitable

But I wouldn't mind some names like
- Eomer
- Theoden (sounds rather acceptable)
- Turin/Tuor (umm... )
- Hurin/Huor
Old 12-29-2001, 11:23 PM   #29
Alethes
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by galadriel

I have a porcelain dog on my nightstand named Huan, and a cool-looking wizard necklace named Saruman. (He looks way too evil to be Gandalf.)

You've named your calculators? That's cool, although incredibly weird. No more weirder than me naming my necklace, I suppose.
At my house, we name some of our cabinets and closets, because it is easier to refer to them that way. ("Ingrid" instead of "the sewing room closet") However, we have none named after LOTR characters.

There are several names from LOTR that I like, but I don't know if I would give them to my children. I might consider Samwise, but I wouldn't want to shorten it to Sam, and Samwise might sound odd for a child's name. (Can you imagine four-year-old Samwise going to preschool?) I like Drogo too, but probably not for a kid. Lorien and Elanor are pretty, but I don't know if I would like them enough to give my child one of those names.
-Proverbs 22:11
Alethes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 02:54 AM   #30
Galahira_May
Sapling

I personally like the name Lorien too...i think 'Galadriel would be too obvious dont you think?
I also like elvish names in general....so beautiful.
Old 12-30-2001, 04:50 AM   #31
ryan
t2t relic

personally, i think arwen would be a great name for a daughter.. although id have to think twice before naming my kid celeborn or boromir
into my pockets
my pockets, the pockets
of Ryan, Ryan, he who
will deliver the money
unto me. Then you will
truley be happy."
And the people followed, and all was well." --Ryan 62:33
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 04:34 PM   #32
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

Names

My mom loves lotr names, but she didn't actually use them to name us. I do have a sister named Carillion Elaine. She was going to name me Catherine Evanna, but I was born male. Fortunately, she let my Dad have some say so; otherwise I would have been called something like Gilgalad or Gondor.
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 04:43 PM   #33
webwizard333
Elf Lord

I named my calculator "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", and even got the label for it, along with the label "Don't Panic". I got some funny looks for it, but noone really looks at people's calculators. Bilbo would be a fun name for a dog, probably a small dog. As far as kids go, maybe they might forgive me for middle names like Fili and Kili, wait, that means twelve kids, nevermind that one.
Old 12-30-2001, 05:34 PM   #34
Alethes
Enting

I almost forgot about Meriadoc. That's another neat name, but I don't think I would name a kid Meriadoc. Maybe for a pet, or for another closet.
-Proverbs 22:11
Alethes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 11:39 PM   #35
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

I'm changing my cat's name to Sauron. In remembrance and honor of poor mice brought under the power of the "one claw..."
Meriadoc would be great, even better when shortened to Merry.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 11:57 PM   #36
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

I found out this past week that my sisters cat is named Eowyn. I also know someone who married a girl named that.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 12:50 AM   #37
Lumina
Sapling

Believe it or not, an acquaintance of a friend of mine is actually called Mithrandir.
Old 12-31-2001, 02:22 PM   #38
andustar
Elven Warrior

seriously????
well, I would love to have a LOTR middle name or something, and it's a really cool idea to name pets and objects after the characters. I like it

...but I think giving a first name that is obviously from LOTR to a child is not a good thing. I mean, I know (well, sort of know) a girl online called Arwen. I don't think she likes it much, she hasn't reaad the books (like so many she quit after the first few chapters ) and people keep asking her if that is her real name, etc, etc... I mean, you should see her description of herself, it had something like "yes, Arwen is my real name. Yes, my dad was and still is a Tolkien fanatic. No, I haven't read the books..." in it

<grins> but as I don't have a middle name, maybe I can call myself Shani Arwen or something it's just not fair to give someone a name like that when you don't even know if they'll like Tolkien or not
Old 12-31-2001, 10:02 PM   #39
Vanimdil
Enting

I know a guy name Bo Baggett. His mom named him Bo in honor of Bilbo Baggins. And he is actually a LOTR fan.
I also have a small dog named Bilbo. He is a tough little stray that turned up on our doorstep. It has been an appropriate name for him. He's always ready to take on anything and he has more than an ordinary share of luck too.
I think LOTR middle names for children are a neat idea. I've thought that Estel would be a pretty name for a girl. (Yes, I know it's Aragorn's name but a girl could be called that too.) My brother says when he has a daughter he's going to call her Elen Kalina (starlight.)
Vanimdil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 08:01 AM   #40
andustar
Elven Warrior

I would love to have a LOTR middle name... But my parents haven't read it My uncle now, he's obsessed, he's the one who gave me FOTR... and he's got a one-year-old daughter now .

hmmmmm.... is one year too old to be given a middle name?