Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-04-2003, 08:54 PM   #1
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Pippa Boyens Excoriated for Horrible Screenplay on National Radio

Well, ol' bropous strikes a blow for the honor of JRR:

On the nationally syndicated talk radio show "The Hugh Hewitt Show", Pippa Boyens had been slated to appear for a full hour with Hugh. Hugh is a lover of Tolkien as well, and he was rather excited to talk with her about the upcoming film, and his main issue was, "What happened to Tom Bombadil?"

Well, NewLine called the show about five minutes before the show, with Boyens on the line for the interview. Unfortunately, the hapless Hugh failed to tell his producer, Dwayne, that Boyens was scheduled for the hour. Dwayne told New Line he didn't have her on the schedule, and hung up on them!!!!

Hugh was (humorously) flabbergasted, and assailed Dwayne for killing the interview. So, I called the show as Hugh was asking for ways to punish Dwayne, his producer.

I called the show, got on the air with Hugh, and told him I thought Dwayne should be rewarded, not punished, as Boyens had absolutely butchered the story!

After I gave the address of Entmoot and gave a big acknowledgement to Ben Milder for running the 'Moot, Hugh and I went back-and-forth, and I found him to be rather uninformed as the film goes, as he wasn't aware that the Scouring of the Shire and Saruman and Wormtongue's scenes were deleted. When I told him that is what the word is, he screeched that I was spoiling the upcoming film.

So, I countered with material from the first two films: Turning of Arwen into Xena Elf Warrior at the Fords of Bruinen, Aragorn's "death scene" in Two Towers, as well as the attack of the wargs on the Rohirrim on the way to Helm's Deep. I even got him to pull up the Moot on his monitor while we were on the radio!

I wrapped up my brief appearance by restating my assertion: "Jackson's Lord of the Rings is as bad a rendition of a book as deLaurentis' butchering of Dune!" Hugh howled, I could tell he didn't agree, but I have a feeling ol' Hugh the law professor might start looking at the 'Moot to find out what we're saying. He's read the books twenty-plus times, which means he has far more to offer than, say, BB. Unfortunately, the poor devil looks like Ralphie from "A Christmas Story"!!!!

If anyone is interested in hearing the Voice of Bropous assailing Phippa Boyens on national radio, got to http://www.hughhewitt.com/ and check out the second hour of the Hugh Hewitt show for Thursday, December 4. Listen for the call from "Joel" from Colorado Springs!

The new convert is on the Crusade on a national level.....top that, jd and BoP!

[edited only for spelling and name corrections]
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.

Last edited by bropous : 12-04-2003 at 09:49 PM.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 09:07 PM   #2
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
The new convert is on the Crusade on a national level.....top that, jd and BoP!
First I have to say GREAT job. But I also have to say - it took you two years - you have a lot of make up time. This only gets you close to my level.

SGH said this removes the egg from your face now however.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 09:29 PM   #3
gdl96
the greg the admin

Well it's cool you mentioned Ben and the moot on the radio. But what's the deal with all the LOTR hating?

Don't answer that I think this has been discussed more than enough times here.
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 09:34 PM   #4
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by gdl96
Well it's cool you mentioned Ben and the moot on the radio. But what's the deal with all the LOTR hating?

Don't answer that I think this has been discussed more than enough times here.
We don't hate Lord of the Rings. We LOVE Lord of the Rings - we hate Jackson's movies. As strange as it may seem - there is a difference. I can hate the movies and love the books.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 09:35 PM   #5
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Just a fast explanation, gdl:

I just finally gave up the hope that the third film will redeem what Jackson has done to Tolkien's works. Christopher Lee's actions have told me more than I wanted to know.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:41 PM   #6
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Old 12-04-2003, 10:45 PM   #7
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Originally posted by Bropous
So, I countered with material from the first two films: Turning of Arwen into Xena Elf Warrior at the Fords of Bruinen, Aragorn's "death scene" in Two Towers, as well as the attack of the wargs on the Rohirrim on the way to Helm's Deep.

So you didn't mention the ridiculous way Merry and Pippin went with Frodo and Sam, the wargs looking like they were steroid warriors, and the exorcism?

Rats, I listen to PBS when I get the chance. Ah, how about a Bropous vs. P. Boyens debate on PBS?

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 10:50 PM   #8
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

My goodness! You did all that! And to think, I've just been doing laundry! Wow Bropous! Don't have a coronary!
Old 12-04-2003, 11:35 PM   #9
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Lizra, I'd bet a dollar to a donut hole that doing laundry would have been a far more constructive use of my time....

Old 12-05-2003, 05:06 AM   #10
Captain Stern
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Bropous: If anyone is interested in hearing the Voice of Bropous assailing Phippa Boyens on national radio, got to http://www.hughhewitt.com/ and check out the second hour of the Hugh Hewitt show for Thursday, December 4. Listen for the call from "Joel" from Colorado Springs!
I can't seem to find it...
Then hate overcame Fëanor's fear, and he cursed Melkor and bade him be gone, saying 'Get thee gone from my gate, thou jail-crow of Mandos!' And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all dwellers in Eä.
Captain Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 06:53 PM   #11
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Nice work Bropus. Hey, listen to Lizra, she's looking out for your health!
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 07:46 PM   #12
Ruinel
Banned

I can't find it either. Damn, that really sucks.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 09:25 PM   #13
Goldberry1
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Stern
I can't seem to find it...
Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
I can't find it either. Damn, that really sucks.
i'm having the same trouble... i started clicking around on the site and found nothing!
Old 12-06-2003, 09:44 PM   #14
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Goldberry1
i'm having the same trouble... i started clicking around on the site and found nothing!
Same here. If possible, please check the location again. The website may have moved it as well.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 10:03 PM   #15
kennebecc
Hobbit

Wow. I can not imagine that Tolkien would condone rudeness.

Last edited by kennebecc : 12-06-2003 at 10:04 PM.
kennebecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 10:04 PM   #16
Captain Stern
Elven Warrior

Maybe he'll reply now that a girl has asked?
Then hate overcame Fëanor's fear, and he cursed Melkor and bade him be gone, saying 'Get thee gone from my gate, thou jail-crow of Mandos!' And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all dwellers in Eä.
Captain Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 11:41 PM   #17
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by kennebecc
Wow. I can not imagine that Tolkien would condone rudeness.
What on earth does that have to do with anything? Not intending to be rude of course.

I'd like to see the link too, and I'm a girl. Adding to the girl-asking power going around here. Just kidding. I'm sure he always intended to resolve our link problems.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 06:31 AM   #18
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Kennebecc: Out of curiosity, how much do you know about Tolkien? How many biographies have you read? What about his Letters?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote