Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-10-2002, 01:56 PM   #1
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Our thanks to Peter Jackson?

I just thought I'd submit a thread where those of us who care to could offer our thanks to Peter Jackson, should he ever peruse the Moot or even get a print-out passed to him.

Peter, thank you from the bottom of this EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO's heart for making this film, and the two which are yet to be released. It is a work of great breadth and beauty, well-crafted and magical in its own right. It is not an exact duplicate of the books, but in your retelling of the story you have surpassed any other filmmaker in capturing the love of this work we all have, those of us who have trodden that dread path to Mordor with Frodo and the others of the Fellowship.

I know you worked under many constraints, be they studio heads' strictures, the need to tell the story in a way new audiences will be enthralled, previous attempts at making the film and prior screenplay copyrights, time and editing constraints, or other factors. All in all, you did a masterful job, and I for one am waiting with great anticipation to see how the remainder of your retelling turns out.

I also look forward to seeing the parts of the film you could not include in the theatrical release, hopefully in any DVDs which are produced of the films.

Again, a hearty thanks, and I hope some of my fellow Entmooters share my joy in your work of love for the incredible books of The Master. Good on ya, mate!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote