Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-10-2002, 01:56 PM   #1
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Our thanks to Peter Jackson?

I just thought I'd submit a thread where those of us who care to could offer our thanks to Peter Jackson, should he ever peruse the Moot or even get a print-out passed to him.

Peter, thank you from the bottom of this EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO's heart for making this film, and the two which are yet to be released. It is a work of great breadth and beauty, well-crafted and magical in its own right. It is not an exact duplicate of the books, but in your retelling of the story you have surpassed any other filmmaker in capturing the love of this work we all have, those of us who have trodden that dread path to Mordor with Frodo and the others of the Fellowship.

I know you worked under many constraints, be they studio heads' strictures, the need to tell the story in a way new audiences will be enthralled, previous attempts at making the film and prior screenplay copyrights, time and editing constraints, or other factors. All in all, you did a masterful job, and I for one am waiting with great anticipation to see how the remainder of your retelling turns out.

I also look forward to seeing the parts of the film you could not include in the theatrical release, hopefully in any DVDs which are produced of the films.

Again, a hearty thanks, and I hope some of my fellow Entmooters share my joy in your work of love for the incredible books of The Master. Good on ya, mate!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 02:13 PM   #2
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Yes, bropous. We need to say thanks for a job wonderfully done (thus far). May the light of the Two Trees illuminate Mr. Jackson's footsteps!

I can put aside my minor quibbles long enough to realize what a fantastic undertaking this project has been. Kudo's to all involved!

(Do we really have to wait 2 more years to see this finished?)

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.

Last edited by Pailan : 01-10-2002 at 02:15 PM.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 07:56 PM   #3
Captain Stern
Elven Warrior

RE

Quote:
It is not an exact duplicate of the books, but in your retelling of the story you have surpassed any other filmmaker in capturing the love of this work we all have, those of us who have trodden that dread path to Mordor with Frodo and the others of the Fellowship.
Apart from Bakshi, no one else has done a Lord of the Rings film, and unlinke P. Jackson, Bakshi didn't get the financial support he deserved.

P.S Surely, you can't approve of everything in the film? You've been tooting P.J's horn with constant zeal.
Then hate overcame Fëanor's fear, and he cursed Melkor and bade him be gone, saying 'Get thee gone from my gate, thou jail-crow of Mandos!' And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all dwellers in Eä.

Last edited by Captain Stern : 01-10-2002 at 08:04 PM.
Captain Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 08:23 PM   #4
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Actually, Captain Stern, I DO approve of everything in the film, and think that Peter Jackson did a fantastic job. The zeal comes from real love for the film and genuine respect for a master of the filmcraft bringing to the screen my most-loved books.

Besides, I think there are plenty enough threads where the guy is harpooned, I thought that maybe ONE could be dedicated to thoughts in support of the film...
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 01-10-2002, 08:49 PM   #5
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

erm... not bad.
Old 01-10-2002, 09:07 PM   #6
Captain Stern
Elven Warrior

RE

Quote:
Besides, I think there are plenty enough threads where the guy is harpooned, I thought that maybe ONE could be dedicated to thoughts in support of the film...
I guess that's fair enough.

However, if you approve of EVERY change Peter Jackson made, then in effect you are saying that you like the film more than you like the book, because at least some of the changes made weren't needed and were probably changed because of P.J's personal preferance.
Then hate overcame Fëanor's fear, and he cursed Melkor and bade him be gone, saying 'Get thee gone from my gate, thou jail-crow of Mandos!' And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all dwellers in Eä.

Last edited by Captain Stern : 01-10-2002 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-10-2002, 09:31 PM   #7
Captain Stern
Elven Warrior

RE

Sorry I hit 'submit reply' by mistake

For example, in the film Elrond says that Aragorn has 'chosen the way of the outcast' with a disaproving frown on his face. It's clear in the film that Aragorn has chosen to neglect his destiny.

Whereas in the book, Elrond will only let Aragorn marry Arwen if he goes out and becomes a ranger to study the ways of the enemy and then, when he is ready become king.Only then will he have Arwen

Was this change really necessary? Would it have required any more dialogue? ( rhetorical question ) Once again, how can you approve of changes like this without saying that Peter Jackson's LOTR is better than Tolkien's?

In my oppinion, this kind of change just made the story more black and white, instead of more interesting shades of gray like in the book.

Once again, think this through! You can't think of ANYTHING you didn't like? How about the fact that Elrond was portrayed as being increadibly aloof, and that he had VERY little faith in men. Actualy I think I'd go as far as to say that he didn't like men, nevermind the fact that he was half-man himself ( which wasn't mentioned in the film either I might add )

Last edited by Captain Stern : 01-10-2002 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-11-2002, 02:11 AM   #8
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Captain Stern, do you POSSIBLY think that those of us who actually love the movie could have ONE thread dedicated to praising the film without detraction? Hmmmm? I do not begrudge you your opinion, but at least let us have this ONE thread for positive comments...

And no, I thought Elrond was masterully done, ESPECIALLY the first scenes where he is standing as Herald of Gil-Galad in front of the ranks of archers.

There is plenty of room on other threads to tear at the aspects of the film, my dear fellow Mooter. And I certainly take every advantage to exchange ideas with all comers on those threads.
Old 01-11-2002, 10:21 AM   #9
Pailan
Elven Warrior

To: Captian Stern
Let there be no doubts, I have some issues about PJ's interpertation of the Master's work. But, I can put them aside and truly enjoy the glorious spectatle (sp?) that has been brought to our megaplexes. This is, without a doubt, one of the best things I have ever seen on the screen in my 41 orbits of this planet.

There are very few films were I want to stop the film so I can just look around and soak in all the details. The acting is constantly good bordering at times on fantastic. The efforts put by all involved are shown in nearly every shot. I still can't belive that 3 hours can fly by like nothing. This tells me I am in the presense of something special.

I had some grave doubts about this project from the first I heard about it 3 years ago. So when I plunked down my 8 bucks, I was ready to be disapointed. But 2 minutes into the movie and all that vanished. And with that experince, I feel that I must join bropous in acknowledging the fine, fine job Peter Jackson has done thus far.

There are plenty of threads here on the moot where I can vent my unhappieness about certian quibbles. In this spot, I will pick up bropous lead and praise a job well done.

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Old 01-11-2002, 06:43 PM   #10
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
GET THE HINT!!!!This is a MOVIE. Notice the word beggining with an M. MOVIE!!!Not BOOK!!!IT is a MOVIE not the BOOK so get USED TO IT. And leave us movie enthusiats alone to thank the director as we wish.
Now that I have blown some steam. Thank you so much Peter Jackson sir. You did a good job and good luck(even more luck then with what you had with FOTR)with the Two Towers and much more with the Return of the Ring. GOOD LUCK.
Hey you know what I think wwe need to congradulate the actors too. GOOD JOB YOU GUYS!!!!WAHOOOOO!!!!
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 06:51 PM   #11
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

Samwise, your post showed some good, plain hobbit sense. And this is a movie that is better than a lot of books. I am so happy I could spit Orcses' teeth. Thanks, PJ!!
ragamuffin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 09:12 PM   #12
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
There is a god, and his name is Peter Jackson. . .

Yes, I loved the movie, how did you know?

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 11:56 PM   #13
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

All hail Peter Jackson! Mr. Jackson, I will burn incense to you in my shrine! Now let us all stop nitpicking and bask in the warm fiery glow of Sauron's eye.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 01:57 PM   #14
spidersbane
Hobbit

Although no person can reach perfection, in my opinion he got pretty darn close. Thanks for a great movie PJ!
— Feanor, from the Quenta Silmarillion.

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" (Celtic Proverb)

"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't."
spidersbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 02:04 PM   #15
Luthien Tinuviel
Hobbit

I simply can't thank PJ enough. He did a stupendous job of bringing the Tolkien masterpieces to the silver screen. I am forever in his debt.
Of stars in shadow shimmering.
Tinúviel was dancing there
To music of a pipe unseen,
And light of starts was in her hair,
And in her raiment glimmering

There Beren came from mountains cold,
And lost he wandered under leaves,
And where the Elven-river rolled.
He walked alone and sorrowing.
He peered between the hemlock-leaves
And saw in wonder flowers of gold
Upon her mantle and her sleeves,
And her hair like shadow following.

He sought her ever, wandering far
Where leaves or years were thickly strewn,
By light of moon and ray of star
In frosty heavens shivering.
Her mantle glinted in the moon.
And on a hill-top high and far
She danced, and at her feet was strewn
A mist of silver quivering.
Luthien Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 06:00 PM   #16
coolismo
Enting

Images that make the picture

Didn't know where to put this. I don't want to labour this stuff but here's how the death of Boromir played for me in the movie. Jackson made it a more effective reference...
http://www.courtauld.ac.uk/Media/prov489MAX.JPG

and if your interested take a look at this (bit cheesy I know) to see maybe how it links to the scene at the river and Sam's leap as it played in Jackson's version...
http://www.columbia.edu/~stt8/christ-water.jpg

No I'm not a religeous nutball trying to assign Tolkien to allegory but it's just the way it worked in the movie for moi.
coolismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 03:46 PM   #17
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Re: Images that make the picture

Quote:
Originally posted by coolismo
I don't want to labour this stuff but here's how the death of Boromir played for me in the movie. Jackson made it a more effective reference...
No I'm not a religeous nutball trying to assign Tolkien to allegory but it's just the way it worked in the movie for moi.
Yes! I thought Borormir's death was symbolic as was Sam's rescue by Frodo. Boromir's death by three arrows was not lost on me. It drove home the "point" that is repeated in Tolkien's work, "Three times pays for all." (Or words to that effect.)

Going a little further off topic, just how messianic will be the whole Paths of the Dead scenes be?

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Old 01-24-2002, 04:49 PM   #18
Uinen
Sapling

I'd like to thank Peter Jackson for introducing so many new people to these wonderful stories. It has encouraged so many to pick up the books and read them and to enter into a world that we all love. PJ has done more to renew excitement and love for Tolkien's work than anyone for a long time!

Also it's wonderful to share in PJ's personal interpretation of LOTR through the movie.

I loved the movie and look forward to the 2 coming up!
Old 01-25-2002, 02:39 PM   #19
daring gaffer
Sapling

mr jackson curse you root and branch sir you did a smashing job
can't wait for the rest
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
daring gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 12:04 PM   #20
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Welcome to the Moot, Uinen and daring gaffer!

I dunno, Pailan, whether the Paths of the Dead scenes really need to be necessarily messianic, but then again, I never knew whether the scenes with Liv tyler were really needed in place of the original storytelling...