The day is short, the night is long
I'll fight as long as I have breath
I am the warrior you were expecting

The creature's dead, here is his head
You knew he could not be killed by man
These locks do not deceive you
This creature was killed by a woman
I am the warrior you were not expecting

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 04:33 AM   #2
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Indeed, an unexpected twist. Interestingly done.

Inspired somewhat by Éowyn, if I'm not mistaken?
Old 10-07-2006, 11:38 AM   #3
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Sounds like her doesn't it? You're the first to make that connection.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Old 10-09-2006, 02:41 PM   #4
orithil
Captain Jack

Indeed it does sound alot like Éowyn i really guest noticed.
That was also really..........deep..

Cortana: So have you got a plan to get out?
Master Chief: I was gonna shoot my way out. Mix things up a little.
orithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 06:28 PM   #5
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acalewia
Sounds like her doesn't it? You're the first to make that connection.
Well, this being a Tolkien messageboards tend to focus you on such similarities...

Still, very nice poem. You could imagine it being part of a larger saga, sung by bard with a lyre in some smoky bar, with all the old men nodding as they remember this long-time gone female warrior who became famous after an unexpected victory against a monster.

Last edited by Earniel : 10-09-2006 at 06:30 PM.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:56 PM   #6
Acalewia

Or became famous after the unexpected fact that the warrior was female

Quote:
Originally Posted by orithil
That was also really..........deep..
deep, eh? I guess,you could say that. A friend said she thought it was dark. I guess it depends on the reader.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:03 PM   #7
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I don't think it's dark. But everyone has different tolerance levels for darkness. My grandma thinks that Peter Jackson's LoTR is really, really dark. I don't.

I thought of Eowyn immediately as soon as I'd read the last stanza. You really do like writing the warrior maiden . You've written the warrior maiden a lot, both here and on Atharon. I've written the warrior maiden too some; it is very fun to do. There is something about the imagery of the beautiful and the deadly united in a female warrior that just captures the imagination.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 08:26 PM   #8
Acalewia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
I don't think it's dark. But everyone has different tolerance levels for darkness. My grandma thinks that Peter Jackson's LoTR is really, really dark. I don't.

I thought of Eowyn immediately as soon as I'd read the last stanza. You really do like writing the warrior maiden . You've written the warrior maiden a lot, both here and on Atharon. I've written the warrior maiden too some; it is very fun to do. There is something about the imagery of the beautiful and the deadly united in a female warrior that just captures the imagination.
I have always hated women portrayed as the weaker sex. Besides, I know more about a woman's strength then i do Men's

Thank you

Old 01-07-2007, 03:04 PM   #9
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
I have always hated women portrayed as the weaker sex.
And I always have hated how men are, more and more now, being portrayed as the weaker sex! Us being portrayed as wimps compared to the women is the politically correct thing nowadays, but it drives me bananas. Political correctness in all forms drives me crazy; I hate it.

Anyway, it's accepted in political science that men are the more aggressive gender. That isn't necessarily a constant for all cases, but it is the general truth. They have found that men tend to be more aggressive and women more nurturing. So when women are portrayed as the warrior and men as the people who need to be defended, it's incorrect according to modern political science data.

Not only are we genetically engineered in our brains to be the more aggressive gender, but we are physically genetically equipped to fulfill that role. Men tend to be physically larger and more muscular than women, for in the early times of our race (before the invention of guns), we needed those abilities to fulfill the role genetically imprinted on our minds and personalities.

So when women are portrayed as the supers and men as the wimps who need to be protected, one of the important functions of the male gender is being undercut. Men tend to be more achievement oriented than women, whereas women tend to be far more socially adept than men are. Women also tend to be more nurturing, and men more aggressive. Men and women are genetically designed to be different but complementary to one another.

These generalizations are not going to apply to every person, but they do apply to the vast majority from each gender. That definitely isn't an insult to either gender- we've been designed in different but equally valuable ways. Your gender has strengths that ours lacks, and ours has strengths that your gender lacks. It works both ways because we're designed to complement one another.

What our society should do is recognize the differences that exist between the two genders and realize how beautiful the symmetry is. Men and women were made to be united and bring together their different skills to make a more complete whole.

It's really cool how that works, from a sociological perspective. I find it very, very lovely.
Quote:
Besides, I know more about a woman's strength then i do Men's
Writing about what you know is obviously valid, and in fact it adds a layer of realism to your work. I like how you've done this in your story .

I write super-cool maiden warriors into my books as well. I love the idea of the beautiful and deadly female warrior, and I'm working on the personality of my most recent one pretty carefully to make her maximum coolness . There is an even stronger male figure I've developed too. He has a load of personality weaknesses that my maiden figure lacks, but then she lacks certain personality qualities that the man possesses. The two complement one another. I think that the symmetry of the male and female human genders, how they can unify and work together, is wonderful and beautiful.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 01-07-2007 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:46 PM   #10
Acalewia

Quote:
And I always have hated how men are, more and more now, being portrayed as the weaker sex! Us being portrayed as wimps compared to the women is the politically correct thing nowadays, but it drives me bananas. Political correctness in all forms drives me crazy; I hate it.

Anyway, it's accepted in political science that men are the more aggressive gender. That isn't necessarily a constant for all cases, but it is the general truth. They have found that men tend to be more aggressive and women more nurturing. So when women are portrayed as the warrior and men as the people who need to be defended, it's incorrect according to modern political science data.

Not only are we genetically engineered in our brains to be the more aggressive gender, but we are physically genetically equipped to fulfill that role. Men tend to be physically larger and more muscular than women, for in the early times of our race (before the invention of guns), we needed those abilities to fulfill the role genetically imprinted on our minds and personalities.

So when women are portrayed as the supers and men as the wimps who need to be protected, one of the important functions of the male gender is being undercut. Men tend to be more achievement oriented than women, whereas women tend to be far more socially adept than men are. Women also tend to be more nurturing, and men more aggressive. Men and women are genetically designed to be different but complementary to one another.

These generalizations are not going to apply to every person, but they do apply to the vast majority from each gender. That definitely isn't an insult to either gender- we've been designed in different but equally valuable ways. Your gender has strengths that ours lacks, and ours has strengths that your gender lacks. It works both ways because we're designed to complement one another.

What our society should do is recognize the differences that exist between the two genders and realize how beautiful the symmetry is. Men and women were made to be united and bring together their different skills to make a more complete whole.

It's really cool how that works, from a sociological perspective. I find it very, very lovely.
I didn't mean to offend the male gender with that comment. But you have some great arguments and you know your topic well. Of course I wasn't going to argue with that anyway.
Quote:
Writing about what you know is obviously valid, and in fact it adds a layer of realism to your work. I like how you've done this in your story .
And again I thank you.
Quote:
I write super-cool maiden warriors into my books as well. I love the idea of the beautiful and deadly female warrior, and I'm working on the personality of my most recent one pretty carefully to make her maximum coolness . There is an even stronger male figure I've developed too. He has a load of personality weaknesses that my maiden figure lacks, but then she lacks certain personality qualities that the man possesses. The two complement one another. I think that the symmetry of the male and female human genders, how they can unify and work together, is wonderful and beautiful.
I would love to read that. That sounds like the type of characters I like. From what I've read from you, you are a great writer. I would love to read one of your books.

Old 01-08-2007, 01:21 AM   #11
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
I didn't mean to offend the male gender with that comment.
You didn't. I just felt like expressing to you my views on genders; don't take me personally .
Quote:
I would love to read that. That sounds like the type of characters I like. From what I've read from you, you are a great writer. I would love to read one of your books.
And I'd love for you to read them! This coming summer, I'm planning to make my first efforts to publish. So we'll see what does or doesn't happen.

I look forward to hearing whether or not you get any of those new short stories successfully published, too . When are you planning to attempt that publishing?

Old 01-08-2007, 05:19 PM   #12
Acalewia

Quote:
You didn't. I just felt like expressing to you my views on genders; don't take me personally .
It's nice to know your views on the subject. At least you're not like most guys I know on that subject.
Quote:
And I'd love for you to read them! This coming summer, I'm planning to make my first efforts to publish. So we'll see what does or doesn't happen.
I wish you tons of luck on that
Quote:
I look forward to hearing whether or not you get any of those new short stories successfully published, too . When are you planning to attempt that publishing?
Well first, I have to trasfer them from handwritten to typed along with doing some editing. After that, I'll make my publishing attempt. I'm shooting for around May. These are short stories I've written since 2000 and my style has changed since that first story. We'll see how it goes.

Old 01-09-2007, 02:34 AM   #13
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
It's nice to know your views on the subject. At least you're not like most guys I know on that subject.
Out of curiosity, what are they like?
Quote:
I wish you tons of luck on that
Thanks!
Quote:
Well first, I have to trasfer them from handwritten to typed along with doing some editing. After that, I'll make my publishing attempt. I'm shooting for around May. These are short stories I've written since 2000 and my style has changed since that first story. We'll see how it goes.
What kinds of settings and genres are they?

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 01-09-2007 at 02:36 AM.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:35 PM   #14
Acalewia

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what are they like?
Most I can't have a mature conversation with All but a few stick with the "Men are bigger thus we are the stronger sex" they refuse to see both sides
Quote:
What kinds of settings and genres are they?
One is a western, set in Colorado in the 1870's, one is a war, set in Syria (although that might change), it's sequal iS set in various locations across the US. The rest are fantasy, which I found is my dominet genre. My fantasy stories are my best, according to people that have read them.