Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-29-2004, 01:50 AM   #1
HLGStrider
Hobbit

PUBLISHING? Have you tried it. Will you try it?

Now we are in this section because we like to write, but writers come in many shapes and styles. Some of us write because we like to write and don't care if we are read. Others want to be read but only by a few. Others REALLY want to be read by everyone. . .and maybe make some money out of it.

So, how many of us are in the last catagory? How many of us are actively trying to get published? Have any of us done it? What experiences have you had?

I personally am working on publishing my novel, but I have not received any favorable responses. I have the writer's Market Guide and I'm thumbing through the pages to find a good publisher who may want what I have. You?
HLGStrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 03:05 AM   #2
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

It is entirely my intention to eventually write a publishable work of fiction.

However, I want it properly agented, published and sold - i.e. accepted and put through the motions the old-fashioned way - and I don't plan to go through an online Print-On-Demand or self-publish or anything like that. To me, there are some pretty compelling reasons not to do that with anything other than a highly specialized limited-interest work.

If I recall, one Entmoot contributor actually had some success with self-publishing/PODs through iUniverse - here's a review of her book - so not all people feel the same as I do about getting something published through those channels. It's really a matter of preference, and it depends on the audience you want to reach.

I'm of the sort that would want his works to be read. The pay sucks, but what's more important to me is that a work is recognized by its readers as being really good. So by that measure, while I plan to send off a manuscript eventually, I won't do it until I'm satisfied with my level of work - draft after draft after draft. And that's the point at which serious editing begins.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 03:09 AM   #3
HLGStrider
Hobbit

I'm skeptical of self-publishing because I know someone on another forum who does it, and they spend more than they make doing it. In other words, you couldn't do it as a livelihood. I might reach the point of doing it someday, but for now I still carry a little hope in the publishing jungle.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:26 AM   #4
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Well, the main problem with self-publishing isn't so much the income so much as the lack of exposure (which is related to the income, I suppose). You'll be published, you'll be listed on big online markets like Barnes & Noble and Amazon.com, you'll be stocked in warehouses in case you're put on order - but the vast majority of the population buys books off the shelf, and the vast majority of book retailers don't stock self-published fiction.

I've heard it said that big-name publishers and agents would rather take on an unpublished author than one that self-published - because if you tell them you've had something published before, they ask you for the sales figures. And if you self-publish, those sales figures aren't going to be high (unless your work is an Internet phenomenon, but that's another story).

If you don't mind a limited audience or limited distribution, or if you have a very specific target audience that you know you can inform - then self-publishing sounds a lot nicer. It's really cool to physically handle a paperback containing your words.

But like you said, it really depends on your ambitions and who you think you're writing for.

The bottom line isn't a fight about self-publishing or not, though. In the spirit of this thread, it's really about meeting your aspirations for yourself as a writer.

That takes a lot of work, and from what I hear, the payoff is minimal.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 03:34 AM   #5
HLGStrider
Hobbit

It is definitely a sort of work where you have to keep a day job.

Old 10-29-2004, 09:58 PM   #6
Elenka
The Negative Soul of Entmoot

Interested in getting your non-fiction/satire/editorial-type work out there? A friend of mine is trying to start an online newspaper. We have the web address, we have the money to keep it going - what we need now are submissions and articles. Comics are also good. I don't know if anyone's interested, but if so, please contact me!

War doesn't determine who is right - war determines who is left.
Elenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 04:19 PM   #7
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLGStrider
So, how many of us are in the last catagory?
Add one more. I've never finished a book in my life- oh, wait, yes I have: a picture book from when I was six or something- but I would like to, someday, and I want to get it published. I'm definately someone who wants her work put out there for others to read and enjoy, and maybe read again. I like the idea that something that came out of my head could entertain other people- make them laugh, cry, get angry, or be happy about life. I have a lot of books which I consider my favorites, and it would be neat to think of something of mine being that for someone else.
Big thoughts for someone who hasn't finished a book yet, huh?
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 07:31 PM   #8
Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
The Evil One

Publishing

has anyone ever published a book? because i want to but i have a lot of questions.
a) what format should it be in?
b) what department should it be to?
c) is there an age limit?
thanx
Eowyn, Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 08:02 PM   #9
Embladyne
Honourary Elitist Inklette

As far as I know, there is no age limit for publishing books. But do you mean you want to be published, or you want to publish other people's (or your own) books? And I'm confused by your second question.
Good Luck, whatever you are planning!

My DA page

Last edited by Embladyne : 12-08-2004 at 08:31 PM.
Embladyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 05:00 AM   #10
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

There was already a thread about publishing. Merging.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:45 AM   #11
Draken
Elf Lord

For an interesting insight into publishing your own short-print run factual book, have a look at

http://www.raygent.co.uk/where_to_start.html

It's about writing and selling a rugby league book in the UK, but there are some good general points on marketing, pitching the price, mark-ups to allow for retailers etc, might be of some use?

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 02:45 AM   #12
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

Publishing... Ever since I started really writing, I've dreamed of getting published. But for me, writing is not about getting it published, and I'm realy protective about a lot of my writing, not letting even my closest friends see it. So, if I do get anything published, it will be a long time from now, and after a lot of hard work. And I'll definetly try it the old fashioned way. Self-publishing doesn't give the same sort of satisfaction.

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
ethuiliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 04:29 PM   #13
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

If I'm ever published, I want to be my own cover artist. I'm a believer that a good cover attracts readers, and I don't want a cheap CGI pic (I wouldnt mind a photoshop made pic, but I'd do it myself if it was what I wanted), I want charcoal! Charcoal!

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 12:51 PM   #14
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

nice bump!

i'd love to have some of my poetry published. whether it's in magazines or books or an anthology... whatever. i'd just be thrilled to have my work out there in the mainstream world.
does anyone have any links that i could go to to get started? (i've been very motivated to do this lately )

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Lady Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:24 PM   #15
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Oh man, getting my books published would totally rock...but I have no idea of how to get started in finding someone or submitting a work.
(And Hector, what happened to your sig???)
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 03:11 PM   #16
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curubethion
Oh man, getting my books published would totally rock...but I have no idea of how to get started in finding someone or submitting a work.
(And Hector, what happened to your sig???)
Well, for ages I'd been wanting to add something etc...and it wouldnt let me just add...it wanted me to edit my whole sig because I was over the 500 etc...so I just cut it and put the stuff you see.
Yeah , it was sad. I liked my Abraham Lincoln letter, my Berlioz bits...

Anyways, if I died right now, the only things I've written worth publishing would be my "At the Symphony" story that I submitted here. And It probably couldnt be published as is, because it would have to undergo George Lucas' copyright whatever...though quite simply I could change the names of the characters...

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 02-21-2006, 10:43 PM   #17
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Guess what? I was just listening to an interview on NPR, they were discussing poetry, and the publishing and sales thereof. The guy mentioned that just a couple years ago, Atlantic Monthly paid five dollars a line for poetry to be published in their magazine - that's 25 dollars a mini-poem, he was saying. He says it's cool that the monetary value placed on poetry is kept so low, because that keeps it pure, he was saying. I thought that was true. It does, when you stop to think about it. It keeps poetry pure, not to put a money-tag on it. Food 4 thought...

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 02:34 PM   #18
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Guess what? I was just listening to an interview on NPR, they were discussing poetry, and the publishing and sales thereof. The guy mentioned that just a couple years ago, Atlantic Monthly paid five dollars a line for poetry to be published in their magazine - that's 25 dollars a mini-poem, he was saying. He says it's cool that the monetary value placed on poetry is kept so low, because that keeps it pure, he was saying. I thought that was true. It does, when you stop to think about it. It keeps poetry pure, not to put a money-tag on it. Food 4 thought...
and in return, thought 4 food

I was listening to that program on NPR, but I was listening when they were talking about metres and the like, which I've never understood in poetry...I read the Aeneid in verse form, but I had to ignore the metre thing to get through it. I just read it like a regular book...

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 02-23-2006, 10:58 AM   #19
Forfirith
Hobbit

I have also always dreamed to be published, but now I know that if this happens it's not very soon, so I just work and wait...
Well..not exactly in fact, because we are trying with little french sites to publish a magazin on the BoLT and I work with them..So maybe very soon...
Old 02-26-2006, 07:45 PM   #20
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

I'd love to be published. I'm thinking about starting to look up publishing companies in my area to see what they charge. I have 2 poems and several short stories. 2 Unfinished shorts and 2 unfinished novels which i do need to finish.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote