Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-05-2011, 03:50 PM   #181
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Indigo heard the commotion and immediately guessed that it must be about his new two friends. He poked his head around the door (to make sure he could pull it back again quickly if Mistress Rosian and her employee had failed to impress the twins with the usefulness of clothing.)

However, he found Lur and Lantura neatly dressed and looking sufficiently pleased with their new clothes so that the future looked sunny and a lot more modestly covered.

"Ah, Lur, Lantura, you two look most elegant. Yes, clothes do become you very much so. I must command you, Mistress Rosian, such fine work! I am positive none could have done better. I am deeply indebted to you for your kind services, ma'm."

He made a deep bow to Mistress Rosian, which seemed to mollify the disgruntled innkeeper's wife.

"It was my pleasure, little Master," she said. "Although I do hope you will keep these two out of the neighbour's orchard!"

"What, climbing trees? When dinner's about to be served?"

"That's just what I was thinking, little Master," Mistress Rosian agreed, slightly smug.

"Have no fear, ma'm, I shall see it. If you would be so kind to begin serving dinner -and I must say it smells quite delicious! -I shall take it on me to teach my companions table manners!"

He turned to the two Perelandrians. "I take it you two will be hungry by now, I know I am. Follow me! I have arranged dinner for the three of us in my room, and if fruit trees are your usual dinner, you two are in for a surprise. Luckily for you, you have a Hobbit at hand to introduce you to the wonderous world of cooking. You wouldn't have found a better guide if you tried!"
Old 09-06-2011, 01:03 PM   #182
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Lur and Lantie wondered what Indigo's surprise might be - and "cooking"? They'd never heard of such a thing.

Lantie leaned toward Lur. "Brother," she said quietly. "I think we should be prepared for a lot of new goods which we did not previously know." Lur nodded. "We shall be very, very old by the time we return home."

When they got to Indigo's room, they saw three steaming - "bowls", Indigo called them - of something on a table. In the bowls there was some brown water with chunks swimming in it.

"So, is this 'stew'?" asked Lur.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:19 AM   #183
Earniel

"Yes, " Indigo said. "A mixture of beer and vegetables cooked on a low, simmering fire for the uninitiated." He sniffed the bowl delicately, and smiled. "Mistress Rosian is an expert cook, she knows just the right temperature and she is a master in selecting the right herbs. But have no fear, there's more, this is just an appetiser!"

He looked at the table and chairs. The inn-keeper had thoughtfully put several pillows on Indigo's chair and a little stool next to it. The furniture was not Hobbit-sized after all. He then looked at his dinner-companions.

"So, this may be a strange question in any other situation, but are you two familiar with chairs, or do you need an introduction about the basics of furniture first?"
Old 09-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #184
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Lur smiled. "There is much we do not know about this world. The words 'chair' and 'furniture' are unfamiliar to us, but we are acquainted with sitting."

After watching Indigo, the twins both sat in the chairs with no mishaps. Now scooted up to the table, the smell of the stew wafted under Lur's nose. "This stew smells very good."

As Lur and Lantie worked at getting used to spoons and bowls, they told Indigo a little more about their home.

"Well," Lantie explained. "In our home, everyone is this green color. My parents met a man once who was colored like you, but no one else. I suppose you can figure out what things are different from here, like how we do not wear clothes or sit in chairs or cook our food.

"The beasts there are our friends. They long to be with us and enjoy every chance we get. We ride the fish in the ocean and frolic with the dragons and the running beasts. The birds hover over our heads as we walk."

Lur smiled, remembering. "There are trees there which bear fruit that is large and sweet. All different kinds of fruits that you can just reach up and pluck. There is also a kind of tree which grows on our floating islands. It draws the ocean water up through the roots, enhances it with its sap and expels it from the ends of the branches in large bubbles. If you pop one of these, the mist will give your head a clearing sensation and your limbs will grow strong.

"Well, this stew has been very good! Is there any water we might drink?"

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Old 09-08-2011, 07:54 AM   #185
Earniel

"Why, yes," Indigo said, picking up the two jugs on the table. "I believe one of these has water. The other one is beer, judging by the smell, which is a brewed drink. I'd advise you two to be careful with it, it's very tasty and gives you a pleasant, warm feeling but if you drink too much of it -especially if you're not used to it- you can start to act strangely. A lot of silly and dangerous things have been done after a bit too much beer."

He poured the water into the mugs that stood before Lur and Lantura, while he took some of the beer.

" Your world, this ... Perelandra, was it? Well, it sound very wonderful, almost like a paradise, really. Middle-earth is a bit different by the sounds of it. Not all fruit trees are as willing to part with their fruit and some fruit is just downright poisonous. And about the animals, well, before the next course arrives, I think I'd better explain a few things about them first."

Indigo wasn't sure why, as he had never had any regrets about liking steak and fried trout before, but after hearing about the nice animals of Perelandra, he suddenly felt somewhat... barbaric for doing so. One should never have to feel guilty about liking food, but in this circumstance, Indigo felt he ought to justify himself.

"You see, not all animals here are friendly. Some are, like dogs or horses. They help us and we love them dearly and care for them in return. But some animals are not friendly, in fact, some kill and eat others including people. It is the way of our world, I fear. And so we kill and eat some in return. Other animals we kill so we can use their skin to keep us warm in winter. I don't suppose you have a season like winter, if you never have to wear any clothes. But here, when winter comes once a year, it becomes very cold. So cold that if you were not wearing any fur, you may very well die. It is, I admit, not a very cheery subject for a dinner conversation. But hearing how safe and nice your world is, I fear you may find ours not always quite so pleasant, and it is better to warn you about it earlier than later."
Old 09-08-2011, 01:04 PM   #186
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Lur listened to Indigo's explanations of his world with dismay. Fruit trees that do not give their fruit, or that are not good to eat? Beasts that do not long to do as they are asked, or that even will kill their masters? Seasons in which clothes must be worn to stay warm?

He did not hear the voice of Maleldil telling him these things were true. But he did feel peaceful, as though all would be well. He turned to Lantie.

"Sister, in our world, we trust everything because all is worthy. Clearly, in this world, our trust must be earned. We must test all we do." Then he turned to Indigo.

"We will begin with you. We will trust you, because though we are very strange to you, you gave us things we need in your world. You had no reason to, but you trusted us, and so we will trust you."

Lantie reached over and grabbed the pitcher of water. "I feel as though we ought not to trust the beer, brother." She poured the clear water into both of their glasses as Indigo had done. Lur nodded in agreement.

"Now, friend Indigo. You said there was more than this delicious stew?"

Old 09-12-2011, 06:20 AM   #187
Earniel

"Well, I'm grateful that you find me worthy of your trust," Indigo said. "And yes, there's more food coming, although it won't be stew this time. If you decide to dine in courses, like us Hobbits are fond of doing, variety is necessary."

Just then the next course was brought in, containing roast trout with mixed salad and fresh bread.

After explaining what the dish contained to the twins, Indigo piled up his plate.

"If you don't me prying, I'm curious to know whether you have decided on any course of action for the future. What will you do now? I mean on the long term."
Old 09-12-2011, 07:10 PM   #188
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Lantie masked her disgust when she heard what the next food was.

Fish! How can I eat this? She looked at Lur to see if he was thinking the same thing, but he was already beginning to answer Indigo's question. A calm passed through her mind and she found herself considering, Well, this fish would not let me sit on it nor ride the waves with it. This fish would not love me, but would, according to Indigo, fear me. She relaxed, realizing what it meant to have different kinds of beasts in different worlds. Then a happy thought crossed her mind: The best way for me to love this fish now is for me to enjoy eating it! It would not have me love it while it lives, so I will love it now, when it will suffer me to do so. And with that, she fell to while Indigo and Lur spoke.

Meanwhile, Lur had been considering Indigo's question. "Honestly, friend, my sister and I have no plans here. Maleldil brought us here from our own world, which was a strange happening. We can only think He brought us here to be made older about something. I have an idea what that something may be.

"You see, when my sister and I arrived here, we thought the good in Perelandra was the same good as here. You showed us it is not. Clothes are not the best thing in Perelandra, but here they are. I think we are to learn about the different goods across the worlds. There may be more He wants to give us, but what we have is enough for now. We are content to stay with you and learn at your teaching." And with that he took the last bite of his fish.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #189
Earniel

"Well, it sounds simple enough, when you put it like that, Lur." Indigo said pensively. "And if you were staying here but for a while, I reckon that could work. But if this Maleldil intends for you two to grow old here, it's going to get more complicated rather soon."

He paused for a moment to heap some more lovely trout on his plate.

"While I could, I suppose, teach you what I know about art and painting, I am but a small Hobbit in a very large and wide world. And you two are bright young people, you'd outgrow my teaching quick enough.

On top of that, I am here in Gondor but for a short while myself. After I've done as much studies and sketches I can before my money runs out, I will be going home. As generous as Mistress Rosian's hospitality is, I cannot expect her to lodge and feed me indefinitely if I have no money to pay her in return."

Indigo didn't mention that 'the short while' could ultimately be a lot shorter than Indigo had originally planned. His funds for his Gondorean trip hadn't included housing and feeding any guests for a significant period of time when he made his plans.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:51 PM   #190
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Lur stopped eating his fish. "Money? What is 'money'? How does it 'run out?"

He had a sudden thought. "Oh! Is it like water that runs out of a cliff face? When it begins to flow, you must go to your home?"

Lantie nodded. "It is a beautiful sight. Do you like watching it?"

Old 10-04-2011, 05:12 PM   #191
Earniel

Indigo laughed. "No, no, money doesn't work quite like that. Wait, here."

He dug into his pocket and produced some coins.

"This is money," he said as he put them on the table before the twins so they could have a closer look. "Coins to be precise. The different size and colours indicate they've got a different worth. Two of these for example," he said as he pointed to the small bronze coins, "will buy you a loaf of bread. But say if you want to buy a cask of wine as well, you will need to add at least a silver coin."

"Money makes the world go round, people often say. The human world, at least. You will find money is a very important part in most people's life. For instance, take this very delicious meal that Mistress Rosian has put before us. There's a whole process that came to pass before that bread reaches this table. A farmer will have worked very hard to get the grain to grow and harvest it when it's ripe. He will pay a miller to grind it into flour since the farmer won't own a mill himself, but the miller has. He will then sell it to other people who don't know how or don't have time to grow their own grain. The baker will buy the flour and bake a bread from it. Mistress Rosian will then pay the baker for this bread to feed her customers in the inn. And I in turn have given her money so her husband and she let me stay in the inn and provide me with meals."
Old 10-04-2011, 07:19 PM   #192
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Words floated around in Lantie's mind. She knew very little of them and she also knew that Maleldil would make them both very old before they got back home. ... Coins, Lantie thought, trying the word out in her head as she turned one over in her fingers.

"So you're saying that when your brothers or sisters have need of you, or you of them, each must give of himself before the other will give back?" She turned to Lur. "Oh, brother. I did not know that being made older could be so... " She searched for a way to say what she meant. "... not sweet!" A tear rolled down her cheek.

Lur smiled. "Lantie, dear sister. I do not think it is like that. Maleldil is telling me. Think of this. When you ask something of our brothers and sisters, do you not expect them to ask of you in return? I think it is like that, only instead of waiting for them to ask at another time, here people must ask back right away." He paused, considering. Then he smiled again.

"And sometimes it is not like that at all. Do you not sometimes give of yourself and not expect to ask back?" Lantie nodded and wiped her cheek.

"Well, sister, that is exactly what this young friend of ours has done. In his world, the custom is to ask a favor immediately when one is asked, or to give a favor immediately when one is given. He has not asked of us back, nor have we given!"

Lantie gasped. "Lur! I am older now! You are right." She turned to Indigo.

"I see now that if my brother and I are to continue in this world (and it seems that Maleldil's will is that we do), we must be able to give of ourselves immediately when someone gives to us. What can we do?"

They both looked at Indigo expectantly, waiting to hear what he had to say.

Last edited by Midge : 10-04-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:23 PM   #193
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Barufiniel was pleased, but not really surprised, to hear that Rivailen also had business in Minas Tirith. She wouldn't mind spending more time with her new acquaintance, and a journey with all these new people would be an interesting experience.

Perhaps just as interesting as the journey she had been on almost twenty years ago, when she travelled with a company of many races to help Radagast the Wizard with finding the lost Entwives? With the portals open, there was no telling how many races there might be on this journey ...

Anahera also stated her intentions to come with them, but the other woman - Barufiniel hadn't heard her name yet - just left them to see to her sheep. Barufiniel guessed that she wanted some time on her own to think about her decision.

Ashkaio seemed to interpret her differently, though - he didn't just leave her to her own thoughts, but said that he was sorry she wasn't coming, and seemed to give her some kind of parting gift.

Oh dear, Barufiniel thought. Perhaps she thinks now that she cannot come with us. Cultural misunderstandings are bad enough within one society - how much more with this man who comes from a wholly different world.

Barufiniel was more quiet during her dinner with Rivailen than she had meant to be. But Rivailen was rather quiet as well, and seemed thoughtful - no wonder, really, after all that had happened to them during the day. And there would be time to discuss the events later - when they had so to speak "digested" them on their own.

At breakfast the next morning they talked about warning the people about the dragon from Anahera's world. They agreed on how they would split the task between them - Rivailen knew the area and knew what other small villages ought to be told, while Barufiniel could start from the inn and give warning in the closer neighbourhood.

As Barufiniel left the gate of the inn, she saw another woman close by. Barufiniel suddenly recognized her - it was the woman who had been with Ashkaio last night, the one who had gone to her sheep and who seemed to consider whether to go with them.

"Good morning," she said, smiling at the other, "such a nice morning for travelling, isn't it? I just want you to know that if you would like to come with us after all, you're very welcome to do so. If you have thought more about it now."

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:23 AM   #194
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Elspeth left her sheep in the care of Anahera. The dog seemed to like her so Elspeth would trust the dogs good senses. Anahera had a good way with animals and seemed at ease in the fields. Elspeth had some thinking to do and Anahera seemed lost in her own thoughts stroking the dog. So as the village woke up Elspeth got up. "I am going to the village now, are you staying here?" She asked Anahera in slow, drawn at words. Anahera looked up looked at the village, back at Elspeth, nodded and started looking though her pack. As Elspeth looked back after a few minutes walking she saw Anahera creating little piles of her things. Elspeth smiled a little to her self as she walked. Anahera was a productive funny thing. They had talked a little that night. Anahera had looked hot, too many layers of clothes for the summer weather. Anahera had kept looking at Elspeths dress and back at her own strange clothing. After Elspeth had pointedly looked at her, Anahera had said, "Trade?" "NO!" was the shocked response of Elspeth. The chestfullen look on Anahera face had sadded Elspeth. "Money?" The word sounded strange in Anahera thick accent. After a little while and much misunderstanding on the way, Elspeth had agreed to help Anahera find more suitable clothing. Anaheras sad face had helped Elspeth to come to the deside to keep traveling with Ashkaio and now Anahera.
After arriving in the village, and after wondering around a bit Elspeth noticed the elf woman looking at her.
"Good morning," the woman said, "such a nice morning for travelling, isn't it? I just want you to know that if you would like to come with us after all, you're very welcome to do so. If you have thought more about it now."
Elspeth was a little startled to have been addressed so plainly about the very thing she was thinking about.
"Oh! Good morning miss." Elspeth bobbed her head a little. She had had little dealings with elves before but her mother had told them to always treat them well, long lives, long memorys! she would say. "I was just coming into the village here to sort that out. I have sheep to sell and some how i need to get a letter writen to my mam and dad. They will worry if i dont come home soon. And i think im going to be away for a bit if i go with you."
feawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #195
Earniel

"You mean, you want to know what you can do earn money yourself?" Indigo asked, who didn't quite like the expression 'giving of yourself'. But then it shouldn't be odd that that his guests used strange expressions, they were from another world after all. It was already fortunate that they understood eachother at all. But at the same time he was beginning to think that their use of becoming older didn't appear to mean actually 'growing older'.

"Well, let's see," he said, sipping beer. "People earn money from land or possessions, but considering you had none of those, that won't be very much of an option for you two. Other people trade the work of their skills and time. So perhaps the first question we need to ask is, what are your skills?"
Old 10-08-2011, 03:26 PM   #196
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Lur sat up a little straighter. "In our world, I am known for my swiftness of feet."

Lantie smiled, nodding. "There are many kinds of four-legged beasts which Lur can outrun, even on the floating islands." She looked thoughtful. "I love to sing and dance, but everyone does that. I climb rocks and trees sometimes. We pick fruit in our land."

Lur nodded in agreement. Then they looked to Indigo.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:34 PM   #197
Varnafindë

She had been right, Barufiniel thought. The woman was still sorting this out - she hadn't meant to refuse to come last night. They should wait for her, then, and leave a little later in the day, perhaps.

"Be away for a bit? Yes, I would expect that," she said. "If we are trying to find out about this man who commands both Orcs and portals, there may be some time before we hear about him - and just the journey to Minas Tirith will take some time, too.

You said you need to get a letter written? I could help you with that, if you like. I'm going out into the village for a little while first, so if you are going to sell sheep meanwhile, we could meet at the inn again afterwards, and then I could write your letter for you.

Oh, by the way, I don't think anyone told me your name. My name is Barufiniel, daughter of Rameldir. What's yours?"

Old 10-11-2011, 08:15 AM   #198
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

"Oh you will!" Elspeth clapped her hands excited. "Thank you, thank you! My name is Elspeth miss! Oh i am very pleased you will help me!" Realising she was being a bit too excited she placed her hands at her sides. "I will let you get on with you business miss... oh i must get Anahera so we can sort her things out too!" Bobbing her kness a little at Barufiniel, she turned at ran into the village calling over her shoulder, "Thank you again miss!"
Elspeth headed straight to the markets, farmers and tradesman had already started to set up their stalls. She quickly found the man her family normally traded with, got a good price for her sheep and her others wares she was done with her business within the hour. Still too excited to slow down it was a very short of breath Elspeth that greated Anahera later that morning, "Money now?" She asked the panting Elspeth who nodded and at a slower pace walked with Anahera back into the village carrying Anahera suplus clothes. Anahera was sad to see her winter furs being traded, they were well made but needs must. Elspeth dealt with the trading, handing Anahera the shiny metal discs to Anahera, who eyed them oddly still not seeing the value of them. When all her clothes had been sold and Anahera had a good pocketful of money Elspeth turned and looked her over, "Well" She said after a little pause, "You still look too odd! A nice dress i think and a cloak too! Maybe new boots". The look on Anahera face told her to leave the boots alone. "Come on!" Elspeth grab Anaheras hand and dragged the baffled woman off!
Old 10-23-2011, 06:35 PM   #199
Varnafindë

It had taken Barufiniel more than an hour to give out her information around the village, and she was not surprised to get back to the inn to find that Rivailen hadn't returned yet. She sought out Ashkaio and told him that they would need some more time, and they decided that they might as well stay for lunch at the inn and set off for their journey in the afternoon.

He's eager to set off, Barufiniel thought, and no wonder if his city is at war. But a couple of hours more or less won't make all that much of a difference, when we've still got a couple of days' riding to do to reach Minas Tirith. I guess he'll need a horse, too ...

She decided to ask him at lunch. For now, she would just sit down and wait for Elspeth. It was almost embarrassing to see the young woman's attitude - Barufiniel didn't like to be treated as someone very special just because she was an Elf. But the age difference might have something to with it as well. And she hoped it might change as they got to know each other better during the journey.

She wondered what Aragorn and Arwen would make of the people from other worlds. She had told them about her own past in Narnia, and reluctantly they had accepted her story as truth, especially as Elrond had accepted it first - partly on Gandalf's word. She was glad that Ashkaio was another nobleman. A stray soldier from his army might not have the same means to appeal to the King of Gondor - Ashkaio was almost an accredited ambassador, and should have the ear of the King. And her own words on his behalf wouldn't be amiss, either.

After a while she thought that sitting in her own room wasn't the best thing to do - it would be easier for Elspeth to find her and to approach her if she went down to the common room of the inn. So she found a comfortable seat, and waited.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:15 AM   #200
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

After a morning worth of shopping and a few misunderstanding with money (Anahera had tried to give the whole purse of coins for a single cloak) they shopping was complect. Elspeth had made sure she had collected enough supplies of food for the two of them, they both already had water skins. Although Elspeth was unsure what kind of animal had made Anahera skin. It was an unpleasent green hue to it. When ask what kinda of animal it was Anahera had thought a bit and then went SNAP SNAP! in Elspeths face. She desided not to press the issue at the moment.
In the early afternoon, hungry and decked out in new clothes, Elspeth and Anahera arrived at the door of the inn. They had a funny pair. Elspeth slight and tidy, Anahera of a stocker build that showed for was used to running and hunting and know her way round the knife at her side. She peered uneasierly around the crowded room, still uneasy with the noise and smells of the darkened room. Her winter clothes gone she now wore a plain green dress and brown cloak. However she insisted in wearing her trousers underneath the dress. "Windy" she had said, as she waved the skirt around a bit.
Now in the inn, Elspeth looked round the crowd for one of the new people she had meet, she was a little disappointed not to see Ashkaio there, she had wanted to tell him that she would be traveling with them too.
However she some spotted Barufiniel, and made her way quickly through the crown, while Anahera hovered a few steps behind, trying not to touch any of the beer smelling men around her. Elspeth stopped infront of Barufiniel and suddenly got a little embarrassed infront of the elf, "Hello" she said as she bobbed a bit. Anahera come up to Elspeths side and touched her forhead in her peoples way of greating. Anahera was still weary of the tall, beautiful woman, it was not natural to be that beautiful she decided she would try and ask Elspeth about the woman later. Anahera looked around her, as if challenging anyone to touch her and then sat down in the chair oppsite Barufiniel, Elspeth hasitated a bit and then sat down too.