Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-20-2007, 03:44 PM   #1
NelyafinweMaitimo
Hobbit

Strider The Dagor Dagorath

So, apparently, one of these days, Melkor will burst through the Doors of Night along with the rest of his brood, Feanor and his sons will be released from Mandos, Ar-Pharazon and his men will burst from their earthy prison, and Hurin's family will make a second appearance so they can all have a bloody huge war to end all wars. What does everyone think of this?
Old 01-20-2007, 05:41 PM   #2
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

i don't know. i think that it could be possinle, but not likely. because that would be going against the theme of you never really able to get rid of evil totally. Plus, it would go against mens souls going to a place where they can never come back. unless your girlfriend is the best singer the world has ever seen.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 03:53 AM   #3
NelyafinweMaitimo
Hobbit

There's a very good Wikipedia article on this, with references, so I don't have to pull down my volumes of HoME, but Tolkien did expressly state that all the Free peoples, including Men and Dwarves (and perhaps hobbits) would return to fight in this battle.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:09 AM   #4
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

okay, but still. and what the hell happens with the elves?
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 03:58 PM   #5
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

that wiki article was quite good...
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
----------------
Shanti, shanti, shantih...
durinsbane2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:36 PM   #6
NelyafinweMaitimo
Hobbit

Elvish spirits are immortal. Those who were not presently on earth would by returned their from the Halls of Awaiting or Lorien.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:01 AM   #7
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Well, I think those stories came up fairly early in Tolkien's thought process. I never caught too much of them after the first few volumes of HoME.

The "who knows" nature of a lot of the lore that's going on in Middle-earth really makes me doubt this prophecy. I interpret it as a purely Mannish legend, not really tied in with much in the way of stories passed down by the Eldar (except in a very loose manner), and certainly with no relation whatsoever to anything said by Mandos. Simply because he just doesn't say anything at all if he can help it.

So I think it's Mannish in origin, and that's basically that.

And I love your username, Nelyo. I'm a big Maedhros fan.

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote