Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-28-2000, 03:50 AM   #1
bmilder

Tolkien compared to other writers

I'm sure many of you have encountered similarities between today's fantasy stories and Tolkien. Does this bother you? I still read 'em anyway I started with Tolkien, and then moved to other authors in the genre. I haven't re-read LotR in a few years, instead opting to read new material. It's a small step for Tolkienites to read other fantasy, but many people I know who encountered, say, Terry Brooks first, have a hard time getting into Tolkien. It's weird. I'm not entirely sure what the purpose of this topic is, but reply if you have any comments :P
Old 01-28-2000, 04:11 AM   #2
anduin

Re: Tolkien compared to other writers

I guess it is what you get use to and what you expect.
Old 01-28-2000, 04:21 AM   #3
juntel

My experience.

Reading Tolkine was only my second experience in Fantasy. Frankly, I tried to read LotR a second time... couldn't. I read The Silmarillion at least three times though, and wouldn't mind doing it again in a year or two. And same thing with Unfinished Tales! I don't know if I can do that with LotR though; in fact, having read it only once left me with quite a mythic feeling about LotR... which I was losing as I was trying to read it again, that's why I stopped! I tried reading authors other than Tolkien and Donaldson, but I just can't, their story doesn't stick on me. Question of feeling I guess...
Old 01-28-2000, 09:16 AM   #4
emilsson

Re: My experience.

Tolkien was my first encounter with fantasy and so I seem to always compare other writers with his works. Sometimes it bothers me and sometimes it does not. I guess it depends on how it is done.
Old 01-28-2000, 09:24 AM   #5
Elanor

Well, I've read lots of fantasy, before and after Tolkien, but he's still the best! Funny, I never really classified him with the rest of fantasy until I saw this thread. He's got his own kingdom for me.
Old 01-28-2000, 08:27 PM   #6
IronParrot

I think there's two kinds of fantasy novels - the fun, lighthearted kind (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, et al.) and the grandiose, create-an-entire-universe kind (LOTR). In other words, children's fantasy and epic fantasy. Out of the epic fantasy genre, Tolkien is by far the best. Most writers are only poor imitations of him at best. It was Tolkien who created our modern images of Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, Ents and such... others only imitate him. There's exceptions here and there, of course, but still... To summarize, Tolkien is IMO the best writer of epic fantasy ever. But seriously, can you compare LOTR and Alice? No way. That's why I've segregated the two. Science fantasy, on the other hand, is a completely different breed altogether and I won't gauge it here...
Old 01-29-2000, 06:57 PM   #7
Hernalt

Elric of Melnibone Saga

Never will you find a more wretched hive of scum and villany. You must read it.
Old 01-30-2000, 04:22 AM   #8
IronParrot

Re: Elric of Melnibone Saga

Is that good or bad?
Old 01-30-2000, 05:14 PM   #9
Hernalt

I personally found it thrilling, and I was surprized that amongst all these other references, it was not mentioned.
Old 01-31-2000, 04:33 AM   #10
IronParrot

Re: Tolkien compared to other writers

I shall have to pick it up then. Author?
Old 01-31-2000, 03:36 PM   #11
Hernalt

LOL!

Funny you should ask IronParrot!! The Post Nanny prevented me from including the author's name 'Michael Morc o c k'. Shar Kida on JediCouncil gets an anyurism every time he has to edit his post to outwit it. Of course we wouldn't have it any different, because it keeps us innocent.
Old 01-31-2000, 05:09 PM   #12
IronParrot

Re: LOL!

Now THAT'S comedy. :P
Old 02-08-2000, 12:57 AM   #13
Finduilas

Re: Tolkien and other Authors

I started with Tolkien and for years wouldn't read any other fantasy. Now I have 2 shelves of fantasy books and growing. However, I find some authors drive me crazy by copying from J.R.R.T.'s works. The only one that I don't mind too much is Elizabeth Moon's Deed of Paksenarrion. The only copying here is the description of the orcs, and otherwise the story is really good. Any other Elizabeth Moon fans here?
Old 02-08-2000, 02:05 AM   #14
Jaro

Re: Tolkien and other Authors

I have a poster of @#%$ Elric, as drawn by Chris Achilleos. Just a tidbit of info. : )
Old 02-08-2000, 09:50 PM   #15
Hernalt

Jaro

Can you fax it to Cydar so she can scan it? I always loved the cover artwork for the original Elric softback release.
Old 02-08-2000, 10:11 PM   #16
Jaro

Re: Jaro

I might be able to scan it here at school.. hrmm.... I'll run to the lab later tonight.
Old 04-29-2000, 08:47 AM   #17
MikeN

Tolkien and other writers

How about the Lankhmar series by Fritz Leiber, with the Gray Mouser and Fafhrd the Barbarian (written in the
early 60s?). A combination of wit, invention and sheer delightful writing that puts most bloated post-Tolkien 12-part series to shame.
Old 04-30-2000, 07:40 PM   #18
Brewhaha

Feist!!!

Read my most recent post on Asimov v.s Tolkien.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:36 PM   #19
Lenya
Elentári

Tolkien is the best, he has allways been the best and he will allways be the Best!
Lenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 04:31 AM   #20
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmilder
I'm sure many of you have encountered similarities between today's fantasy stories and Tolkien. Does this bother you? I still read 'em anyway I started with Tolkien, and then moved to other authors in the genre. I haven't re-read LotR in a few years, instead opting to read new material. It's a small step for Tolkienites to read other fantasy, but many people I know who encountered, say, Terry Brooks first, have a hard time getting into Tolkien. It's weird. I'm not entirely sure what the purpose of this topic is, but reply if you have any comments :P
Tolkien:

LOTR: at first every reread gave me a new aspect of it.
The Silmarillion: having only read it twice, I can just say it's good.
The Hobbit: not, unfortunately, one of my fav's.

Brooks:

Was a bit annoyed at the author's trying to kill off the main characters all the time. Other than that very good.

Jordan:

Hard to get into.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote