Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-09-2002, 06:40 PM   #1
webwizard333
Elf Lord

Ray Bradbury

Ray Bradbury is one of my personal favourite science fiction writers. I greatly enjoy the questions many of his works pose. How far will censorship go (Farenheit 451)? What if the writers ever fought back from beyond the grave (The Exiles in The Illustrated Man)? What if Christ were born as an alien on another planet to save a race of aliens (Apollo Christus(I'm not certain) of I Sing the Body Electric)? He really is a fascinating writer. I particually enjoyed The Martian Chrinicles; weaving the many different stories of other author's made for a good read. What are your opinions on his writing?
Old 04-09-2002, 08:18 PM   #2
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I read "Fahrenheit 451" for a school report and it was weird, but I enjoyed it. I want to read "Something Wicked This Way Comes". I like Ray Bradbury.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 08:26 PM   #3
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

I, too, read Farenheit 451 for a school report, but that was many years ago. The concept of people becoming books by memorization to save the books from the censors is an idea that has stayed with me. It puts the written word back into the oral tradition of storytelling and history-keeping.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 01:04 AM   #4
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Bradbury's one of my favorite authors too. Fahrenheit 451 is of course a classic, but I love the Martian Chronicles and his various books of short stories as well (S is for Space, R is for Rocket, the Illustrated Man, Dandelion Wine, The Halloween Tree). He's written a lot, and most of it is very original and interesting.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 09:39 PM   #5
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Didn't he write something wicked this way comes? I adored that book, but thought fahenheit 451 was mediocre
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 09:02 PM   #6
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

I have no idea, TwirlingString, haven't heard of it.

Fahrenheit 451 was cool! And my copy has a great picture on the cover.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 09:16 PM   #7
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Mines didn't have any, picture i mean.
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 10:34 PM   #8
TinuvielChild
Padawan

i found Something Wicked This Way Comes to be a very engaging book (although rather....odd. good odd though). i recently reread Fahrenheit 451, good book, for school. we also watched a very weird black and white film based on the book, where Clarisse actually didn't die, she became one of the "book-people". iff'n ya ask me, i preferred the book.

haven't read any others by Ray Bradbury, tho. Did you people know that he attended a night class (i think?) that was taught by famed sci-fi author Robert A. Heinlein? i'm not sure about the night class part, but i am sure about the fact that he attended some sort of class that Mr. Heinlein taught.

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 10:28 PM   #9
ringbearer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by FrodoFriend
Bradbury's one of my favorite authors too. Fahrenheit 451 is of course a classic, but I love the Martian Chronicles and his various books of short stories as well (S is for Space, R is for Rocket, the Illustrated Man, Dandelion Wine, The Halloween Tree). He's written a lot, and most of it is very original and interesting.
Bradbury's shorts are the best! I never liked his novels, though.

Hide Witch, hide!
The Good Folks come to burn thee!
Their keen enjoyment hid behind
A Gothic mask of duty!
ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 03:23 AM   #10
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringbearer View Post
Bradbury's shorts are the best! I never liked his novels, though.
I liked the short stories encompassed in The Illustrated Man.