Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-14-2004, 03:26 PM   #1
Finnrodde

Earthsea: miniseries vs. the books

It's not that the miniseries was bad. I enjoyed it. However, it was nowhere near as good as the books and the changes they made are almost unforgivable in my mind.

For one thing, the Taoist undertones seem to have been taken out, (every candles casts a shadow...) with ideas of good and evil. And what's with what they did to the sisterhood in Kargide? They worshipped the Nameless Ones in the books! Also, was there not a reincarnation thing going on with the Priestess. It wasn't successor! It was predetermined. Finally, was not Ged his true name and Sparrowhawk the one everyone knew?

Maybe I'm wrong. I haven't read those books in a long time, but I was very dissappointed with these changes, unless I forgot them. in which case forgive me. I have a very bad memory at time. Still, Earthsea was among the greatest fantasy sagas I've ever read, and they made so many changes its almost unforgtivable in my mind...

What do you think?

Last edited by Finnrodde : 12-14-2004 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:34 PM   #2
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

I do hope you're not surprised.

If it's as annoying as you seem to indicate, though... Just goes to show the impossibility of making the Silm into even a miniseries...

Yes, Ged was his "secret" name, and Sparrowhawk the commonly used one.

Besides that, I haven't seen the miniseries yet, can't really comment.

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 04:01 PM   #3
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i missed it too, but loved the books... will probably have to wait till the videos come out, as i don't get to much primetime tv

how's the acting (book changes aside)?
Old 12-14-2004, 04:47 PM   #4
BeardofPants
the Shrike

The fact that the author (LeGuin) is bitching about it on her site is enough for me to not bother with it.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:52 PM   #5
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
The fact that the author (LeGuin) is bitching about it on her site is enough for me to not bother with it.
oh come on... she only wrote the book
Old 12-15-2004, 02:47 PM   #6
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

............kinda like Tolkien and P.J.'s movies..................

I saw the mini-series, and it was ok. Reminded me of a cross between Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and the Black Company. of course I hadn't read the book yet.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:12 PM   #7
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

The books are so cool!

After reading LeGuin's comment on her site, I think I'll steer clear.

Here is her (very neat) Official Site.

Here is the part where she comments about the mini series.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 09:50 PM   #8
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog
............kinda like Tolkien and P.J.'s movies..................

I saw the mini-series, and it was ok. Reminded me of a cross between Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and the Black Company. of course I hadn't read the book yet.
I haven't seen the miniseries, though I will eventually. I've read the books though, and I think her complaint would be equivalent to what Tolkien (and his fans ) would have felt if the Christian messages of LotR were replaced by, say... Buddhist philosophy.

Earthsea is largely based on Taoism, methinks. But the miniseries is, well... not.

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 01:32 AM   #9
Forkbeard
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemmire
I haven't seen the miniseries, though I will eventually. I've read the books though, and I think her complaint would be equivalent to what Tolkien (and his fans ) would have felt if the Christian messages of LotR were replaced by, say... Buddhist philosophy.

Earthsea is largely based on Taoism, methinks. But the miniseries is, well... not.
I haven't read the books in years, but I hardly recognized the story from what I remember. Some things had an "oh yeah, I remember this", but the overall story seemed so utterly different, from the white lead, to the dragon bit, to the whole "union" bit at the end, the end much, well, hmmm, schlockeer than it should have been. And yeah, the sisterhood thing.....that bugged me even with my faulty memory.
Forkbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 06:45 PM   #10
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

never read the books, but i watched the miniseries a few days ago.

It was interesting, entertaining. not high quality stuff, but better than the usual Sci-Fi Channel original movie drivel.

This mini-series would not make me want to read the books though. I got an "eh" feel.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote