Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-11-2004, 02:42 PM   #1
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Things We Love To Hate About The LotR Trilogy

What things in LotR really make you angry when you see them or really annoy you.

One of mine is:
What's with Arwen calling Elrond 'Dada'? I mean she isn't a two year old anymore.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 02:49 PM   #2
BeardofPants
the Shrike

We've had several threads on this. I'm not sure that we really need another one. However, I guess they could always make it a newbie friendly thread.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:44 PM   #3
inked
Elf Lord

BoP,

Now that your are another year older and in dire need of pants to sustain your ebbing life force, do I detect your enthusiasm for newbie-friendliness to be a mask for the ensnarement of the unwary? If so, you show just the right combination of hesitancy to perhaps suggest a legitimate ruse for entrapment!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 03:49 PM   #4
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
What things in LotR really make you angry when you see them or really annoy you.

One of mine is:
What's with Arwen calling Elrond 'Dada'? I mean she isn't a two year old anymore.
Maybe she really said "Ada". The random use of elvish words when people are obviously already speaking elvish annoys me. But it's not wholly wrong, just redundant.

Maybe we shouldn't have a thread on this. It will either make me go insane or light something on fire. No, not really. I just don't want to think about all the things that annoy me in the movies at once. Aaaa! *runs screaming from the building*

I bet this thread is gonna get padlocked though. It just smells like a padlock.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 04:59 PM   #5
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Inked, can I assume that your age is showing in your level of suspicion and cynicism?
Old 10-11-2004, 05:01 PM   #6
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
We've had several threads on this. I'm not sure that we really need another one. However, I guess they could always make it a newbie friendly thread.
Not quite ready to slap THAT label on it, however - without doing a search, I don't specifically recall a very recent one on this topic though.

Sad though... love of hatred... there MUST be some psychological term for that...

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 01:04 AM   #7
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I think she's saying "tata", which is some elvish form of father - where are all our Elvish language people?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 01:51 AM   #8
Lanthirien
Sapling

Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
One of mine is:
Ahhh lol....I think that was Ada, elvish word for father. LOL.
Lanthirien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 09:43 AM   #9
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanthirien
Ahhh lol....I think that was Ada, elvish word for father. LOL.
OMG Actually the original complaint was quite valid. LOL Despite the wrong impression some people might have, the fact that they were speaking in the always nebulous 'elvish' Arwen did say 'Daddy'. GTG BRB TTFN TTYL WTF

The word 'Ada' is the Sindarin equivilent of 'dad', 'daddy'. The more formal usage would have been 'Atar' or 'father'.

However, given the nature of the scene in question, I don't really see it as unrealistic or out of character. After all, Arwen is such a teary-weepy-emotional-flower-of-maidenhood type.

One of the things that really ticked me off, and continues to do so with every single viewing: When the Hobbits are entering Bree, the camera pans over the gate in a perfect shot of the scene. Yet we don't get a glimpse of Aragorn slipping over the fence. That bugged me for some indefinable reason.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:04 AM   #10
Lanthirien
Sapling

Strider Arwen Daddy's girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer
OMG Actually the original complaint was quite valid. LOL Despite the wrong impression some people might have, the fact that they were speaking in the always nebulous 'elvish' Arwen did say 'Daddy'. GTG BRB TTFN TTYL WTF

The word 'Ada' is the Sindarin equivilent of 'dad', 'daddy'. The more formal usage would have been 'Atar' or 'father'.
ARG!!!!!! I wonder if I need any more reason to start makign an arwen doll then burning it just to laugh manically?
Lanthirien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 10:46 AM   #11
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Maniacal laughter is its own reward.

And what's up with all the elves being japanese samuria with weird weapons? That's just stupid. Elves are not even remotely japanese, and the idea that a katana is somehow a better weapon than a folded-steel Toledo longsword is a myth.

And while we're talking about the elves, let's talk about the orcs. The makeup looked good, but the costumes and props were ridiculous. I'm really beginning to hate the 'medieval fantasy' look given to arms and equipment.

Last edited by Wayfarer : 10-13-2004 at 11:10 AM.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 01:46 PM   #12
matthew
Enting

I used to be an elvish person, but I forgot>

The palantir was really messed up. It still gets on my nerves. The palantir had to be facing the other one, and whenn Pippin was break dancing on the floor, they wouldn't really have stayed in contact.

Flame me. Go ahead.

Matthew in 2028. One by one we're bringing them back.

Vote Nader.

Stop the hamster eaters!!!!

End global warming! Turn on the AC!!!

Gadzooks! Run!
matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 03:37 PM   #13
inked
Elf Lord

Ok, Ok, let's get the real problem out in the open. IT IS NOT AND NEVER WAS A TRILOGY! GOT IT. LOTR is one book published in 3 volumes due to papershortages and costs after WWII. If my 52" Mitsubushi TV weren't an antique, I'd shoot PJ and every one who utters that malediction each and every time they said it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !111

deep breath.

There, I feel better now.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 06:39 PM   #14
BeardofPants
the Shrike

There, there. *pats inked on the arm* Think happy thoughts! Happy! Happy!

*flaps arms like a bird* Sweetness, and light, and rainbows, and sunny days, and fluffy puppies.....

You know I have problems when I automatically type "pants" instead of "pats"... *sigh*

Erm, anyway, referring to the body of work really gets my goat as well.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:52 PM   #15
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

What I love to hate about the movies:

That Faramir was made into such an antagonist in TTT. I'm always spouting on that.

Aragorn at the Council of Elrond, sounding like he needs to hack up something in the back of his throat. "You cannot weild it! None of us can! The Ring answers to Sauron alone." Ugh! Wasn't there a better take?

All that elvish best-buds thing going on between Legolas and Aragorn in TTT. DON'T get me going!

Poor Gimli being reduced to comic relief in the last two movies. *Seethes*

I've got more, but I only allow myself to be perturbed so much a day.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 01:37 PM   #16
Lenya
Elentári

The thing that irritates me the most is that Jackson didn't stick with the book. He changed the story and worse, he changed the carracters! They simply do not act the way thy did in the book. I think Jackson made a very good movie, but he shouldn't have called it the Lord of the Rings, he should have merely said that it was based on the book.
Lenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 01:57 PM   #17
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

galadriel!!!
Old 10-16-2004, 01:01 AM   #18
Meriadoc Brandybuck
Magnificent Master of Buckland

1.)How Gimli seems to be balding when Galadriel asked him what he wanted from her as a gift.
2.) How Elijah Wood was chosen to act as a 50 year old character.
3.)How Frodo's eyebrows are plastered in a worried look ever since he got the Ring.

Is there anything I can do that wouldn't inconvenience me?.-Adrian Monk

Hogan: What's a definate factor that we can count on?
Newkirk: We don't know what we're doing.

Do you wanna split a pineapple? -Shawn Spencer
Meriadoc Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 11:47 AM   #19
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

How about the way the LOTR films, like practically every other film made since summer 2000, has been touted as the best thing since sliced bread despite the fact that they're all exactly the same level of mediocrity.

Of course moviemaking in hollywood has nothing to do with making a good movie and everything to do with hype and spectacle... but do people really have to buy into that? I mean, for goodness sake, I still think that The Two Towers and Attack of the Clones could have been the exact same film with a few minor changes.
Old 10-16-2004, 03:20 PM   #20
Lenya
Elentári

Yes, they changed Aragorn from being a really cool go-with-the-flow-kinda hero into a classical hollywood hero, complete with the whole almost dying thing.
Lenya is offline   Reply With Quote