Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-12-2004, 11:48 AM   #1
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Audio books

Does anyone else enjoy listening to audio books? I grew up listening to loads of children's books on tape (it was like having all these different actors read me bedtime stories) and I feel that I really got to know the stories better because I listened to the tapes a lot more often than I read the books, and I could dip in and out of them. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, read by Michael Hordern, was a particular favourite, largely because of the beautiful accompanying harp and flute music.

Anyway, I haven't listened to many adult novels on tape, though I do have lots of great poetry collections. Would anyone like to share their favourites?
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 11:58 AM   #2
Mercutio

I listen to these constantly in the car. In fact, my first Jane Austen was the Emma audiobook. Recently, my mom and I listened to Seabiscuit. I've also heard "Monsieur Pamplemous" stories, some Mark Twain, a collection of French stories (not to fond of, lol), (these are all I can remember off the top of my head! I've probably heard about 100 audiobooks total) and plenty of children's stories a few years ago. Its a nice way to make that 5 hour car trip enjoyable.

EDIT: And PG Wodehouse! How could I forget! All those wonderful stories of Bertie Wooster and Jeeves. woo hoo! I'm going crazy now! I wonder how many I've heard...

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.

Last edited by Mercutio : 08-12-2004 at 12:01 PM. Reason: ah!
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 10:38 AM   #3
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Are the PG Wodehouse ones dramatisations or read by one person?
Old 08-14-2004, 01:33 PM   #4
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
There actually is a 12 and 14 cd or tape dramatised version of The Lord of the Rings.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 02:14 PM   #5
Mercutio

they were just read by one person. Recorded Books Incorporated was the publisher.

Old 08-14-2004, 03:05 PM   #6
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

recorded books inc. is where most of the audio books come from at the library; they do mostly un -abridged stuff, which is a good thing

i find that i have trouble concentrating on books on tape, so the only one i've ever gotten through all the way was The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer by Stephen King, which was the book that inspired the tv movie Rose Red it was good, but again i had to really concentrate on it. but i know alot of people read or listen to (whatever ) books on their way to work or otherwise they'd have no time to read so audio books are awesome!

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Lady Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 04:32 PM   #7
Mercutio

I also listened to Jane Eyre on tape. 22 hours total. phew, that was long.

Old 08-16-2004, 07:15 AM   #8
Elanor the Fair
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf
There actually is a 12 and 14 cd or tape dramatised version of The Lord of the Rings.
I have the BBC radio dramatisation of the Lord of the Rings (14 CD's) and The Hobbit (7 CD's) on CD. We listen to them in the car.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:42 PM   #9
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanor the Fair
I have the BBC radio dramatisation of the Lord of the Rings (14 CD's) and The Hobbit (7 CD's) on CD. We listen to them in the car.
I've been thinking of buying this LOTR edition, is it any good? Or have they deleted a lot of things like in the movies?
Old 08-17-2004, 04:11 AM   #10
Elanor the Fair
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I've been thinking of buying this LOTR edition, is it any good? Or have they deleted a lot of things like in the movies?
Well, it's actually very similar to the movies in the things they leave out - no Tom Bombadil for example. I think Peter Jackson et. al. must have listened to the audio versions as there are some similarities in some instances.

The parts that are included, however, are true to the book. The relationship between the hobbits is truer, Faramir's character is unsullied, Arwen does not have a starring role, and Frodo and Sam remain true friends to the end. There are no "additions", just some small omissions.

It is a dramatisation, not a reading, so it is different from a reading of the book (which would need more than 14 hours to complete). There are different actors playing each character so you need to listen to the voices to work out who is talking. We found that a really enjoyable aspect, however, not a hindrance. Some parts are hysterical - Boromir singing the riddle of Isildur's bane!!!!

I very much enjoyed it, however. I have still to listen to the last CD. My daughter wants to wait until we are on another trip to listen to it with me as we have listened to all the others together.

If you are interested in various versions of Tolkien's works and can appreciate different viewponts, then I would say that you would enjoy the collection.

I love collecting these sorts of things.

Let me know how you go.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:51 AM   #11
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Is that the one with Ian Holm (Bilbo in the films) playing Frodo? The BBC repeated it on the radio when the films came out, and I thought it was very good - especially some of the music, IIRC.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:20 PM   #12
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Well, it's actually very similar to the movies in the things they leave out - no Tom Bombadil for example. I think Peter Jackson et. al. must have listened to the audio versions as there are some similarities in some instances.

The parts that are included, however, are true to the book. The relationship between the hobbits is truer, Faramir's character is unsullied, Arwen does not have a starring role, and Frodo and Sam remain true friends to the end. There are no "additions", just some small omissions.

It is a dramatisation, not a reading, so it is different from a reading of the book (which would need more than 14 hours to complete). There are different actors playing each character so you need to listen to the voices to work out who is talking. We found that a really enjoyable aspect, however, not a hindrance. Some parts are hysterical - Boromir singing the riddle of Isildur's bane!!!!

I very much enjoyed it, however. I have still to listen to the last CD. My daughter wants to wait until we are on another trip to listen to it with me as we have listened to all the others together.

If you are interested in various versions of Tolkien's works and can appreciate different viewponts, then I would say that you would enjoy the collection.

I love collecting these sorts of things.

Let me know how you go.
I'm planning on buying it but at the moment I can't afford to.

When you write that they have different actors playing each character do you mean several actors/character?
Old 08-18-2004, 07:54 AM   #13
Elanor the Fair
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-star
Is that the one with Ian Holm (Bilbo in the films) playing Frodo? The BBC repeated it on the radio when the films came out, and I thought it was very good - especially some of the music, IIRC.
Yes it is!!
Old 08-18-2004, 07:56 AM   #14
Elanor the Fair
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I'm planning on buying it but at the moment I can't afford to.

When you write that they have different actors playing each character do you mean several actors/character?
I meant that it isn't just one person reading the whole story, as is common in some audio books, but is performed by a whole cast of actors.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:01 AM   #15
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
I meant that it isn't just one person reading the whole story, as is common in some audio books, but is performed by a whole cast of actors.
OK. Then it'll definitely be worth purchasing. Will do so in a couple of months (when I got my first real salary).