Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > C.S. Lewis
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-11-2005, 12:32 AM   #1
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

What is your favorite Narnia book?

The book I enjoyed most from the Chronicles was "The Horse and his Boy". What about the rest of you?
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 12:44 AM   #2
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

It was "Dawn Treader" for a LONG time; I could smell the sea and feel the movement of the ship ... and I loved the un-dragoning!

Horse & Boy is definitely one of my favorites - I love the part where Hwin meets Aslan.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 01:10 AM   #3
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Strider

HAHB was definitely a good story...but I also rather liked the feel of Caspian...just the idea of the underground Narnia was really neat.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 01:24 AM   #4
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
It was "Dawn Treader" for a LONG time; I could smell the sea and feel the movement of the ship ... and I loved the un-dragoning!.....

I loved the un-dragoning, too , but I think The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe will always be my favorite because it was my introduction to Narnia and there is the sense of despair (1. always winter but never Christmas, 2. Aslan's sacrifice) overcome by great joy.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:53 PM   #5
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
It was "Dawn Treader" for a LONG time; I could smell the sea and feel the movement of the ship ... and I loved the un-dragoning!

Horse & Boy is definitely one of my favorites - I love the part where Hwin meets Aslan.
Dawn Treader and Silver Chair by far. Eustace's redemption is among the most powerful things that I've read in Lewis.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 05:45 PM   #6
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Strider

Hmm... my faveorite one would be, I guess, The magisions nefue (I can't spell)
The start of naria and all that.
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 06:41 PM   #7
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by me9996
Hmm... my faveorite one would be, I guess, The magisions nefue (I can't spell)
The start of naria and all that.
I love that one .
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 06:51 PM   #8
Mercutio

I haven't read all of them in years. In the past few days I've read LWW and Caspian, though, and so far I like Caspian better.

I don't think I liked the Magician's Nephew so much, but I can't recall why . Was that the one with the creation of something and the people getting lost in the attic and an Adam/Eve theme?

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 07:29 PM   #9
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

I remember answering this question in another thread... but I guess I could do it again. My favorites are A Horse and His Boy and Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I love the moment when Shasta is walking alone in the mist through the night, and Aslan walks beside him. When morning comes he sees the lion footprint and realizes he was on a ledge with a steep dropoff and Aslan was walking between him and the edge. He realizes that Aslan had been there all during his journey but he'd never recognized him. After that my favorite moments are the "undragoning" of Eustace, as Rian called it, the Stone Table, and of course, Radagast getting turned into a donkey. When I first read his assurance that anyone can learn to wiggle their ears I was determined to learn how, and I have!

Segovia Mazes
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:55 AM   #10
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

the magician's nephew... i always love the background-type stories
Old 12-12-2005, 12:48 PM   #11
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanor
After that my favorite moments are the "undragoning" of Eustace, as Rian called it ...
IIRC, I think Lewis called it that, too, in the book, didn't he?

Quote:
When I first read his assurance that anyone can learn to wiggle their ears I was determined to learn how, and I have!
Good for you! I can, too, and so can my daughter! And I can move my eyebrows independently, which cracks up my kids. Every once in awhile when we're all together, like after prayers, we have our talented family body parts show

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 07:07 PM   #12
Sanity's Demise
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanor
My favorites are A Horse and His Boy and Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I love the moment when Shasta is walking alone in the mist through the night, and Aslan walks beside him. When morning comes he sees the lion footprint and realizes he was on a ledge with a steep dropoff and Aslan was walking between him and the edge. He realizes that Aslan had been there all during his journey but he'd never recognized him.

I loved that part. It was more than my favorite, and it was what endeared the books to me. I like that scene and portrayal of a silently protecting being watching over you. I loved it.

"Think of Zombies. They're like Energizer Bunnies from hell! They don’t give up, they just keep going!"
-Casey on one of his favorite topics.
Sanity's Demise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 09:41 AM   #13
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Gandalf

I have just finished reading all of the Chronicles of Narnia.

It is difficult to decide which book is the best, since I think that each book has something that I like very much.

If I had to choose, I think I would choose either The Dawn Treader or The Magician's Nephew.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:32 PM   #14
The Black Captain
Sapling

It's funny, I always thought that I'd be alone in liking the 3rd book, that doesn't fit into the entire sequence of "people from our world enter another world" thematics.

I'd just like to explain why I love The Horse and His Boy so much.

For one thing, it's a lesson of humilty. Bree is such a boaster and thinks he is so much better than everyone else around him. And then Shasta out-trumps Bree by running back towards a lion that is about to fully pounce on Hwin and (what ever the girl's name was that I can't think of right now) and makes Bree completely miserable because he has finally realised that he isn't half as great as he thought he was.

I also love that unlike the other books, it's not about a bunch of spoiled British school kids that have just had a tiny bit of bad luck. This kid, Shasta, honestly has nothing. His father beats him (does memoery serve me right here?) and he lives a little better than a slave. It's so much easier to feel much more sadness, pity, happiness and all other things that happens to a person when they have experienced very little in their life. And then when he finds out he really is a prince and will one day be king, he doesn't want to be. For the same reason I sometimes read TLTWATW and pretend that there are 5 kids. What happens then? Which one is humble and which one is self-righteous and just takes the throne without question?

I also feel as thought Aslan cared more for Shasta than any other character whatsoever. Aslan says to Shasta how he has always been there for him, and been responsible for every (good) thing that has ever happened to him. (paraprhasing) "And I was the one who pushed the boat when you were just a baby to the man you come to knew as 'father' ".

When I first read that passage of Aslan walking alongside Shasta in the fog (I was about 13) I couldn't help but get teary-eyed from it. I think it was the nicest thing that Aslan ever did for a character in the books.

The Silver Chair is my second favourite, just because of the way that the whole mystery unfolds about Prince Rilian, the quest to find him, and how the four of them overcame the Green Lady/Serpent Witch. As someone else has already posted, how can you not love the speech of Puddleglum (paraphrased): "Even if Narnia were only ever a dream, I prefer the dream to this anyday!"

Then I like TLTWATW third, with TMN fourth, purely based on the way that their storylines offer redemption to the characters Edmund and Digory respectively. Also, the way how Charn is described as such a desolate, dead and evil place is one of the best descriptions of the lair of evil I have ever read (also in TMN).
The Black Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:19 PM   #15
Torongil
Hobbit

I've always liked the Silver Chair for some reason. The Horse and his boy was my second favorite.
Torongil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:15 PM   #16
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

My favorite? Well, I honestly don't have a favorite, because I really don't like the books. And I'm not saying that without having read them, I have read each twice!

(For more on that you can message me )
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:34 AM   #17
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllethValatari View Post
My favorite? Well, I honestly don't have a favorite, because I really don't like the books. And I'm not saying that without having read them, I have read each twice!

(For more on that you can message me )
Why message? Put it out here for all to see- I'd be interested in hearing your PoV, and I'm sure others would, too.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:56 PM   #18
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

PoV?
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:45 PM   #19
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I think he means Point of View.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:51 AM   #20
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Yes indeed, forgive the use of jargon. Again, though, I'm interested in your opinion- you would seem to be a natural fit for the Narnia stories.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote