Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-07-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
Wilhelm
Elven Warrior

Gandalf Gandalf's Powers

We know that the author does not provide a full accounting of the powers of Gandalf but, I was hoping to list out the powers that we do know of... I'm not particular if the power comes from his staff, Narya (his ring), Glamdring (his sword), or anything else.

Here is a list (in no particular order) to get things started. Please add anything that you feel appropriate.
  • Wisdom
  • Immunity to weapons (as Gandalf the white)
  • Clairvoyance - He could see Frodo right up until he entered Mordor
  • Telepathy (with Elrond, Celeborn and Galadriel before Celeborn and Galadriel head east in "Many Partings")
  • Breaking stone (bridge of Khazadum)
  • Bonding with Animals (ie Shadowfax, Gwaihir)
  • Breaking Saruman's Staff
  • He does something to the Mouth of Sauron when he reclaims the hobbits things at the gates of Mordor
  • Disappears from Thorin and co (in the Hobbit)
  • Lightning (Battle of the peak, Battle at Weathertop, retrieving Faramir from Osgiliath)
  • Breaking others spells (ie releasing Theoden)
  • Fire
  • Light
  • Smoke rings
  • Fireworks
  • Blinding flashes of light

and a couple of questionnable ones...
  • Sam infers that he could turn him into something "unnatural"
  • Does he arrange for Frodo to accept the quest of Mount Doom? At the end of the council of Elrond, Frodo "volunteers" for the quest but, wonders to hear his own words.

Thanks for your input.
Wilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:59 PM   #2
Alcuin
Salt Miner

I think you should consider the abilities Gandalf/Olórin exercised as Gandalf the Grey and as Gandalf the White. His commission as Gandalf the Grey was from the Valar, and his specifically from Manwe, of whose Maiar Olórin came; but his commission as Gandalf the White might have come from Eru.

All the Istari were forbidden to impose their wills upon the Children of Ilúvatar, or to cause them take one course of action or another out of fear of the messenger. I don’t believe he arranged for Frodo to accept the Quest of Mount Doom: Frodo was used as an agent by powers greater than Gandalf. I think that reflects a “hidden” level of The Lord of the Rings: Gandalf says that Bilbo’s coming into possession of the Ring was the result of “other powers” at work than Sauron; it was certainly not accomplished through Gandalf’s power, although partly through his agency, Bilbo was in the right place at the right time.

Gandalf the Grey also seems to have been aware of more subconsciously than consciously, as he recounted (in Unfinished Tales) to Frodo and the other the hobbits, Legolas and Gimli at the house in Minas Tirith after the War of the Ring.

One thing Gandalf does do as both “the Grey” and “the White” is work to offset the influence of Sauron so that first Bilbo and then Frodo can freely make their own decisions. For example, when the Ring attempts to leave with Bilbo, Gandalf works to overcome it so that Bilbo can choose to leave it behind. Later, Frodo sitting on Amon Hen was assaulted by Sauron through the Ring as Sauron sought for him, but Gandalf, sitting somewhere else (Caras Galadhon?) applies just enough counter-pressure to allow Frodo to exercise his own free will.

That said, go to it!
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:22 AM   #3
Wilhelm
Elven Warrior

You are recommending a very organized and well thought out approach. I think I will get there (or some where close) eventually.

At this point I am after the brainstorming, laundry list pile of data.

I agree with you re Gandalf not influencing Frodo to accept the quest of Mount Doom but, it had been suggested to me previously that this was Gandalf's doing so felt it appropriate to include it as a questionable example.

Helping Bilbo part with the ring and the Amon Hen example are great and just the kind of thing I'm looking for.

Cheers!
Old 03-26-2010, 08:07 AM   #4
Noble Elf Lord
Leaf-Crowned Lord Of Elvenpath

Gandalf's power was mostly with fire and lights, right? Do you think it would have been possible, that if corrupted, he could have "mutated" into a balrog? After all, they were just corrupted "fire maiar".
Old 12-11-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
slippolives
Sapling

He was quite a horseman (Shadowfax!), and pretty good with a sword I would say. He carried the elven ring of power Narya, and Turgon's sword Glamdring as well which added to his native power I would think. And he had his own staff.

As far the Sam and the "unnatural" quote, I think wizards were something of a legend to the Hobbits, and would probably think that wizards could do anything, picking up rumours of wizards in, say, the Green Dragon. Sam's punishment for spying was to accompany Frodo at least to Buckland, not being turned into a newt.

Last edited by slippolives : 12-12-2010 at 06:57 PM.
slippolives is offline   Reply With Quote