Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-16-2011, 01:11 AM   #1
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Nowhere, unfortunately. I have not written in forever.

One thing I remember liking about my idea for my old Ice Village story, which I'm still fond of today, was the idea that people who had any kind of magical ability were "locked" into their fate. I.E. Even if they can see the future they have no ability to change it. The only people who can affect the future are people who have no magical ability. That's why, in my Ice Village story, the girl was going to be so influential... I forget her name. Marianna? Mariel? Think it was Mariel.

If I recall correctly, my idea in that story was that the main character (Danlor) was basically raised and trained to go fight in a big battle and die, and he knew it (although he was not supposed to)... and there were two other people, a brother and sister, who were mages and they were also trained to go fight and die in the big battle to reseal the "big evil thing" back away forever, although they did not realize that they were going to die.

Mariel was supposed to have the potential to become a really powerful mage, but she was warned ahead of time that if she became a mage she would lose her ability to influence the events that were unfolding. So by choosing not to fight she ended up saving the day... although I don't remember quite how that happened.

I remember that my preference used to be for magical powers that came at no cost, but as I get a little older I find that my preference has shifted way over in the other direction. I don't mind super-powered magic, but I want it to come at some kind of severe cost... although I did already have that in Ice Village. Danlor was the most powerful Master Psionic alive, but he knew that everything he did would only bring him closer to his death.

If I recall correctly, there was an "angel" in the story. One of the Ancients, and "he" ("it" really) was the last of its kind that had not moved on (giving up its power to remain, only to be regained when it left). It was the one who trained Danlor and the two wizards, and it had intended to use Mariel to save Danlor, but that didn't work for some reason.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:24 AM   #2
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
One thing I remember liking about my idea for my old Ice Village story, which I'm still fond of today, was the idea that people who had any kind of magical ability were "locked" into their fate. I.E. Even if they can see the future they have no ability to change it. The only people who can affect the future are people who have no magical ability. That's why, in my Ice Village story, the girl was going to be so influential... I forget her name. Marianna? Mariel? Think it was Mariel.
I like the idea, it's a nice trade-of. You either get to have cool magical powers and be a pawn of destiny, or be a boringly normal person who can actually change things. That would make you think twice before you decide to go the magical route just because it's cool.

You hadn't gotten to that point in Ice Village yet, had you? I don't recall it, but then it has been a while since I read it.