Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-24-2003, 11:57 PM   #1
Aralyn
FloraAzul

Location: Anywhere as long as there is a library in a one mile radius of here
Ari's Shortstories

Okay here's one of my short stories. I wrote it awhile ago. It doesn't really have a specific point. It's just fantasy. Decide fo yourself what it means. (T.S. is my pen name)

Whale Song
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bakersville Orphanage, NJ 1997
Night in The Girl’s Dorm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Light flooded out of the bathroom door as three girls left to climb into bed.

“. . . just leave her alone.”

“Yeah Jamie, She’s a freak”

“Did you see those stupid whale pictures she draws?”

Ariel drew up her worn blue sheets over her head, Am not, am not, am not a freak.
She pulled out her sketch pad, flipped on her flashlight, and studied it. Humpbacks danced along the waves, in various moods or play. Mothers with calves, angry males fighting and several of whales singing, noses to the sky.

“She can’t even talk anyhow. Just leave her alone.”

Ariel closed her eyes, and her ears, to everything. I'm lonely, her heart cried.

Hush Little One

Ariel’s eyes flew open. Where there had once been a dark bedroom was sand and beyond it, sea-green water. A brilliant sunset covered everything, bathing it in pinks.

We Have Heard You

Who are you, Ariel pleaded silently.

We Are Old As Time Herself. Do Not Be Afraid. Come Closer To The Water.

Suddenly shapes appeared, large and grey. As Ariel neared the water, she could see that the shapes were whales..

Humpbacks. Ariel breathed, Just the same as in her drawings. And in all the books she had read.

How am I here?

Do Not Worry, they repeated, -at least Ariel thought it was ‘they’. The voice was so loud and seemed to come from everywhere- We Have Summoned You. Join Us

Without thinking Ariel leapt forward joyously and splashed into the water. One of the whales surged forward.

Satulaanima. I Will Take You To Where You Want To Go.

But where? Ariel asked, puzzled.

We Will Take You Below.

And they were off, a terrifying yet magnificent presence. Down they took her, through the depths of the sea, passing all manners of creatures. Dolphins in laughing pods, dancing a sea dance, Sharks, alert and deadly but breathtaking, Jellies and lionfish, clams and rays. Ariel was overwhelmed. And even more so after she quickly realized she could breathe better than she ever had on land.

It’s beautiful

Yes, her whale answered simply

Then the pod stopped in front of a gate built of stars and sang.
Ariel thought if she heard the best choir, orchestra or symphony it could never be as magnificent as this. No words could describe how she felt. The song blew through her, and around her. It opened new emotions for her. She felt released and pure.

It Is For You

What?Ariel asked

The Song Of New Life

It needed no other title, Ariel thought.
Together girl and whale left the others to rise up to the surface.

Thank you,

Be Strong. Remember That We Sang For You.

I could never forget.

The whale slipped back into the depths, leaving a grey shell behind. Ugly in appearance but a beautiful pearly color inside, it held the sea and faintly a whale’s song.

~T.S.

Yet many shall be amazed when they see Him-yes even far off foreign nations and thier kings; they shall stand dumb-founded, speechless in his prescence. For they shall see and understand what they had not seen before-Isaiah 52:15a

Civil War- 498,332 dead
WWI-116,708 dead
WWII-407,316 dead
Korean War-54,246 dead
Vietnam War-58,665 dead
Persian Gulf-372 dead
War on The Unborn=35,000,000 dead and counting
Aralyn is offline   Reply With Quote