Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-25-2003, 06:21 AM   #1
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
Practise is the key to mastery, they say. And writing is oddly enjoyable to do. Though I'm still terrible at it (and probably always will be), at least I'm having a good time.
o_O Geezus Earniel, your a good writer............you should write comedy tho'..............you and the lasses in the TLA threads are some of the funniest folks here

Seriously tho'...........you're right, it's all just practise

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 06:48 AM   #2
Baby-K
Corruptor

I write mainly for my own enjoyment, but if I were to be published I'd love to publish my 'diary'.

I'm more into humerous recounts of what my friends & I get up to (somehow I find it easier than having to make up characters) - think along the lines of "Sex & the City" - some of my friends really do fit those profiles (I'm a Samantha type, while Nikki is the Carrie of our group).

I recently decided that it might be fun launching a website which we will call "The Troll Diaries" or summin of the sort (like an online diary).

Then again, I suck at writing (at least I think so) and I'm not sure if other people will find these things funny
Old 04-25-2003, 04:03 PM   #3
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

You people are all much too nice. RPG's can hardly be compared without real one-author writing. The TLA wouldn't be half as good if it were only me. (thank god, it's not! ) Anyway I spend ages on nearly every post I write, especially in the RPG-forum. I may not be such a terrible writer that I think I am, but it's going to take me looooooads of practise before I will consider myself a decent writer.
Old 04-25-2003, 04:16 PM   #4
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
From what I know, it's commonly pronounced "ain-stain". "Ai" being like in Dunedain.
You're right. We, the german speaking people, would pronounce it that way.
Old 04-26-2003, 10:25 AM   #5
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
You people are all much too nice. RPG's can hardly be compared without real one-author writing. The TLA wouldn't be half as good if it were only me. (thank god, it's not! ) Anyway I spend ages on nearly every post I write, especially in the RPG-forum. I may not be such a terrible writer that I think I am, but it's going to take me looooooads of practise before I will consider myself a decent writer.
Well . . . I'll not bother with arguing. Though I do disagree.
Quote:
Originally posted by Blackboar
But all I do is write stories, during class, in bed, got a Word Document open right now in fromt of me.
My stories are mostly Fantasy, I've tried mythology but it dosn't work for me.
Tales about life, about a 16-year-old girl and teenage trauma's.
You want to post one of your better ones here, or no?
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 12:19 PM   #6
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

I have been writing a novel since 1975, with much revision and periods of inactivity due to life's duties. Maybe one day a finished product wioll be submitted for publication.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:19 PM   #7
Aralyn
FloraAzul

Location: Anywhere as long as there is a library in a one mile radius of here
Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith
I want to become a director, too, not only a screen-play writer.
I wanted to do that for awhile. I write all kinds of things so I'm not really sure what kind of writing I want to do.
Plus I am incredibly bossy and organized so it would be a cool job to have

Yet many shall be amazed when they see Him-yes even far off foreign nations and thier kings; they shall stand dumb-founded, speechless in his prescence. For they shall see and understand what they had not seen before-Isaiah 52:15a

Civil War- 498,332 dead
WWI-116,708 dead
WWII-407,316 dead
Korean War-54,246 dead
Vietnam War-58,665 dead
Persian Gulf-372 dead
War on The Unborn=35,000,000 dead and counting
Aralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 02:12 AM   #8
Entlover
Elven Warrior

I'm happy that so many of you guys are determined to keep on with writing. A lot of the poetry here is excellent.

I'm publishing my novel and it's going to be available on amazon.com and barnesandnoble.com in a few weeks. It took me a year and a half to write it, but I forget how long the research took. It's self published so by definition it won't be highly regarded, but I think it's good.(not prejudiced or anything!)

Aralyn, maybe you'd like to review it for your school newspaper? Do you live in the US?

I'm going to be looking for reviewers if anybody is an English teacher, magazine editor, etc and would like to read it.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 02:38 AM   #9
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Good job, Entlover . That's wonderful news!
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 09:36 AM   #10
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Ooooo! What's it called? Will definitely keep my eyes open.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 11:38 AM   #11
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Originally posted by Aralyn
I wanted to do that for awhile. I write all kinds of things so I'm not really sure what kind of writing I want to do.
Plus I am incredibly bossy and organized so it would be a cool job to have
I knew that I will have to be an artist, when I worked for a month in a office and I couldn't stand a whole day there. Horrible. I'm not the kind of person who wants to have that fix labour times.
So, screenplay writing is a good thing to do. Plus, I have sooo many ideas. It would be wasting not to use them.
Old 05-02-2003, 03:44 PM   #12
Aralyn
FloraAzul

Location: Anywhere as long as there is a library in a one mile radius of here
Quote:
Originally posted by Entlover
I'm happy that so many of you guys are determined to keep on with writing. A lot of the poetry here is excellent.

I'm publishing my novel and it's going to be available on amazon.com and barnesandnoble.com in a few weeks. It took me a year and a half to write it, but I forget how long the research took. It's self published so by definition it won't be highly regarded, but I think it's good.(not prejudiced or anything!)

Aralyn, maybe you'd like to review it for your school newspaper? Do you live in the US?

I'm going to be looking for reviewers if anybody is an English teacher, magazine editor, etc and would like to read it.
Just let me know what it is called and I'll read it.
I don't know if my review would make it in our newspaper. I usually write human interest type thing.
And yes I live in the U.S.A.

Yet many shall be amazed when they see Him-yes even far off foreign nations and thier kings; they shall stand dumb-founded, speechless in his prescence. For they shall see and understand what they had not seen before-Isaiah 52:15a

Civil War- 498,332 dead
WWI-116,708 dead
WWII-407,316 dead
Korean War-54,246 dead
Vietnam War-58,665 dead
Persian Gulf-372 dead
War on The Unborn=35,000,000 dead and counting
Aralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 04:21 PM   #13
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Quote:
Originally posted by Entlover

Congratulations! That's really great news! A published 'mooter

I am both an artist and writer, and my friends' book, Bryce, has my cover art on it. Which, I suppose is an achievement, even though I hate the art. She wanted a simple cover...I tried.

As for my own writing, I have four novels in the works, and a screenplay. I need lots going so when I get blocked I can move away for a while and not force anything. My current one is a fantasy story based in a world of my own design, and focuses on a love story in a politically unstable society.

Quote:
It was all done by email. Find a small paper and send them something that might be of interest.
I agree with Lizra. Local newspapers are good for this, and it will really help you learn what sort of thing the papers like and don't like.

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 04:35 PM   #14
Earniel

Hey first mate, long time no see.
Old 05-02-2003, 04:40 PM   #15
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

I know. Have returned for a while, second mate. Missed everyone. Still hauling in that chocolate?

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 05:11 PM   #16
Earniel

*munch munch*

*with mouth full* Muh-uh.
Old 05-02-2003, 05:36 PM   #17
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
My writing ambitions? Well, I hope to make a name for myself by publishing articles, essays and short stories first. Probably anywhere that will take me first, and then I'll enter things that pay or for prizes. Thus, if I do make a name for myself in the publishing industry, it may be easier to get a future novel in print. This is, of course, only if my writing skills improve greatly, to the point where people would want it published.
Old 05-02-2003, 11:20 PM   #18
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Lief Erickson, thanks for the kind words. I'm curious, what is the third step in your writing process, after the outline?

Gwaimir, my book's called The Ring of the Dark Elves and an excerpt can be read by clicking where it says here down below.

Aralyn, if your newspaper says you can write a review, maybe I could send you a copy (since you're a mooter.)

Elfmaster XK, I like your cover for Bryce, though it's frustrating because the picture is so small it's hard to see. The book sounds interesting too.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote