Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-23-2002, 08:40 PM   #1
Fred Baggins
Belladona Gamgee of the night sky

Location: second star to the right and straight on till morning.
For now you can read it at Poetry.com
Fred Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 10:00 AM   #2
Miranda
'Bohemian princess of Covent Garden

Big congrats from London Fred!!!!!!! Will keep eyes open for publication. Much love Mx
Miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 01:16 PM   #3
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
That's great, Fred!

The reason I can't write for awhile is...eh...well, life has been a bit more screwed up than it usually is, and if I try to write it's going to come out utterly dark. There will be dark parts of my story, but I don't want to start writing it that way. Angsty poetry, yes, but not my story.
Old 11-24-2002, 05:38 PM   #4
katya
Elven Maiden

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney

As for plagarism...........hmm tricky one, especially if you ever hope to make money from your writing it could become a legal problem but if you just write for fun then don't see why anyone shouldn't use others ideas.

As Silverstripe said, eventually your stories will take on their own shape and character anyway, I know mine do, if only they would give a clue as to what shape and character they want to be

2 by 2 anyone?
Um, no I don't want to try to make money off of anyting I write for various reasons, so I guess I won't worry about that. As far as creating my own worlds or whatever, usually I just kind of write short stories in an annonymous place that doesn't mean anything so you know. Usually what happens is if a read a sci-fi book I will write a sci-fi story. If I am reading fantasy I will write fantasy. But everything ends up keeping my own style no matter what. I am not sure quite what that is.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 06:02 PM   #5
Silverstripe
Empress of the Writewraiths

Location: Running around somewhere inside my head. So what are YOU doing here?!
Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish
That's great, Fred!

The reason I can't write for awhile is...eh...well, life has been a bit more screwed up than it usually is, and if I try to write it's going to come out utterly dark. There will be dark parts of my story, but I don't want to start writing it that way. Angsty poetry, yes, but not my story.
So what you write goes with your mood, eh? For me, it's sort of the other way around, although only when I'm sad and writing a joyful reunion scene (I feel better). For some reason, if I'm happy, I don't become unhappy when I'm writing a sad scene. However, I have noticed that if I'm upset and writing a dark scene, both that scene and my mood become even darker.
Silverstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 06:34 PM   #6
katya
Elven Maiden

My writing goes hand in hand with my mood almost always. If I am in a happy mood, nothing too bad will happen, and if it does it won't be super sad. I noticed that this is also true with any other art I do say on mario paints for aexample. I was all depressed a while ago so I drew all these crazy depressed pictures like tendin gto go more towards the evil one ring and Sauron's eye than anything else and also there was this freaky thing about the agony at the end of the rainbow. Yeah looking back that kindof is scary. So yeah that's why I don't write when I'm bored because I have no ideas. Which sicks because what better vure for boredom than writing? I get writers block though when I am bored.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 06:00 AM   #7
Miranda

My mood affects my writing as I tend to write for comfort! If I've had a bad day I write something really happy for my characters because it cheers me up to see them happy. If I'm majorly sad I can't write anything bad in my stories because I just end up crying and smudging all my ink!!! Mx
Old 11-25-2002, 01:26 PM   #8
Silverstripe

Quote:
Originally posted by Miranda
My mood affects my writing as I tend to write for comfort! If I've had a bad day I write something really happy for my characters because it cheers me up to see them happy. If I'm majorly sad I can't write anything bad in my stories because I just end up crying and smudging all my ink!!! Mx
Right. I definitely agree there. I can only write the sad scenes when I, in fact, am having a pretty good day!
Old 11-25-2002, 04:26 PM   #9
Silverstripe

Okay, now my English characters are refusing to cooperate with me! They are rebelling and they don't even exist, which is sad, is it not?
All right, I'm writing something where two of the main characters are supposed to be British. But, no matter how much I research the differences between British English and American English, the bloody fools won't stop sounding American!!

Yes, yes, I admit it, I'M the bloody fool for not being able to make them talk correctly, I just wanted to vent a bit. Also, this is a fantasy story, and I don't personally know (er...in person) anyone who's British and interested in fantasy.
Old 11-25-2002, 06:25 PM   #10
Miranda

In an absolutely filthy mood!!! Just had parents evening at school and my teachers said I had to get my head out of my fantasy world- you can imagine what I said back. This mood however has prompted a fantastic flow of creativity and I'm off in a mo to write some more of my book. Coming together nicely- especially now I have my stereotype for my evil empress!!! Mx
Old 11-25-2002, 06:56 PM   #11
Silverstripe

Quote:
In an absolutely filthy mood!!! Just had parents evening at school and my teachers said I had to get my head out of my fantasy world- you can imagine what I said back. This mood however has prompted a fantastic flow of creativity and I'm off in a mo to write some more of my book. Coming together nicely- especially now I have my stereotype for my evil empress!!! Mx
Hmmm...sounds rather similar to what my teachers were always telling me!

*snarls at her characters who still aren't behaving properly*

And now my Americans aren't cooperating either!
Old 11-25-2002, 06:59 PM   #12
Miranda

Quote:
Originally posted by Silverstripe
Hmmm...sounds rather similar to what my teachers were always telling me!

*snarls at her characters who still aren't behaving properly*

And now my Americans aren't cooperating either!
Rolled up newspaper- its the only way to control misbehaving characters Silver- works all the time on mine. Tell them if they don't behave you'll bring them all to really messy and painful ends- that should sort them. Mx
Old 11-25-2002, 07:09 PM   #13
Silverstripe

Quote:
Rolled up newspaper- its the only way to control misbehaving characters Silver- works all the time on mine. Tell them if they don't behave you'll bring them all to really messy and painful ends- that should sort them. Mx
Actually I believe I simply need to go on a Grand Quest to find someone who's British. And interested in fantasy. Well, here I go! *takes three steps and runs into the wall*
Or maybe not.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:12 PM   #14
Miranda

Quote:
Actually I believe I simply need to go on a Grand Quest to find someone who's British. And interested in fantasy. Well, here I go! *takes three steps and runs into the wall*
Or maybe not.
I'm a Brit and into fantasy or do you need to talk face to face. I can give you any grammar (here we go up the apples and pears and talk on the dog and bone!) or customs- like marrying our brothers to our dogs and then running away to Gretna Green with our first cousins- ONLY KIDDING we're quite civilised actually considering we're sprung from blue painted hairy barbarians that went into battle naked!!! LOL!!! Mx
Old 11-25-2002, 07:19 PM   #15
Silverstripe

Thank you. I don't really need to talk face to face, all I'm trying to do is find someone who won't steal my ideas, since the person might need to know the storyline and such!
Old 11-25-2002, 07:24 PM   #16
Miranda

Quote:
Thank you. I don't really need to talk face to face, all I'm trying to do is find someone who won't steal my ideas, since the person might need to know the storyline and such!
I won't pinch a thing I swear!!! My own story takes up too much time to worry about nicking someone elses work- especially a mate's. PM me if you need some help and I'll see what I can do. I can even through in a bit of Irish Gaelic if you want. Mx
Old 11-25-2002, 07:27 PM   #17
Silverstripe

Quote:
I won't pinch a thing I swear!!! My own story takes up too much time to worry about nicking someone elses work- especially a mate's. PM me if you need some help and I'll see what I can do. I can even through in a bit of Irish Gaelic if you want. Mx
Thanks Miranda! I really haven't gotten very far yet, but I'll PM you what I have.
Old 11-25-2002, 08:19 PM   #18
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Easiest way to tell the difference between English and American English:

English just sounds better.

Additionally:
- Watch My Fair Lady
- "Colour" not "color"
- Learn the dialectic things like with cars (not applicable here, I guess), "boot" not "trunk"... "lift" not "elevator"
- There actually are mini-"translation" dictionaries between the two
- Read the proper versions of Harry Potter, not the American edits
- Watch My Fair Lady again
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 05:49 AM   #19
Miranda

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
Easiest way to tell the difference between English and American English:

English just sounds better.

Additionally:
- Watch My Fair Lady
- "Colour" not "color"
- Learn the dialectic things like with cars (not applicable here, I guess), "boot" not "trunk"... "lift" not "elevator"
- There actually are mini-"translation" dictionaries between the two
- Read the proper versions of Harry Potter, not the American edits
- Watch My Fair Lady again
Nah mate My Fair Lady's far too posh. You want a proper english accent? Get the good old cockney actors out- Dyck Van Dyke in Mary Poppins or I s'pose you could use the opening Liza in MFL!!! Just throw in a bit of the ol' rhyming slang and you'll sound like a true brit- oh and miss off all your hs and ts- I'm a right ol' Londoner and I can guarantee we have no use for such nonsense consenents as those here!!! Mx
Old 11-26-2002, 01:47 PM   #20
Silverstripe

Quote:
Nah mate My Fair Lady's far too posh. You want a proper english accent? Get the good old cockney actors out- Dyck Van Dyke in Mary Poppins or I s'pose you could use the opening Liza in MFL!!! Just throw in a bit of the ol' rhyming slang and you'll sound like a true brit- oh and miss off all your hs and ts- I'm a right ol' Londoner and I can guarantee we have no use for such nonsense consenents as those here!!! Mx
Well, I've been to England, which helps somewhat on accents, in fact I managed to pick one up which was quite odd, as I've never been able to do a proper British accent before or since then. And I don't truly need the spellings; I'm certainly not going to spell the same words differently for different speakers! Actually my main trouble here IS "the grammar."