Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The One Ring Musical
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-30-2002, 04:58 AM   #1
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Previous Tolkien Theatre Experience

This is my first visit to this forum, and I was wondering, has anyone seen anything by Tolkien in theatre before? I saw The Hobbit as a play, and thought it was quite good. However, I don't believe it would make sense to anyone who hasn't read the book first.

So two questions:

Do you think the musical will be able to stand alone?

And, what are your, if any, previous Tolkien theatre experiences?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 02:44 PM   #2
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

Arwen Undomiel

I've never seen any tolkien plays or heard of any been preformed, but if some one was to make one then it would be really long.
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 12:27 AM   #3
hama1
Elven Warrior

Here is a link to a theatre company that has produced at least two Tolkien theatre productions. http://www.cincinnatiovation.com/twotowers/index.html
hama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 07:36 AM   #4
Agburanar
Elf Lord

I did a graphics project on redesigning 'the hobbit' as a production. Some of the photos of productions I have seen are fair, others are completely speculative rubbish. There's one production where Gandalf has an arabian-type hat on and a decapitated hand on the end of his staff. Clearly somebody has not read the book.

ROLLING STOCK, WE'RE ROLLING STOCK!!
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 09:36 AM   #5
Miranda
'Bohemian princess of Covent Garden

I've done a play of the Hobbit before! Many years ago though and it was very simplified. I got to play Gollum which was great fun! I've seen a professional version of the Hobbit advertised around London but never got around to seeing it. Can't see how they'd do it though- we had a narrator to do most of the tricky bits. Mx
Old 04-08-2003, 10:33 PM   #6
Elvellyn
The Redneck Elf

I've never seen a Tolkien play before, but I think it would be really cool to act in one.
Old 04-12-2003, 10:25 PM   #7
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

I've never seen one but we did a youth production of The Hobbit at our local theater last summer, It was awesome, we put the entire thing together by ourselves in the space of four weeks and did six performances. We got really good audiences and the last performance we did the theater was filled to the point where we had to be careful not to trip over little children sitting in the ailes and we were forced to start turning people away. I wish we could do it again or do more Tolkien stuff on the stage, it's a lot of work, but it's really fun.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 11:49 PM   #8
gandalfstormcrow
Enting

I've never seen a Tolkien play either.
gandalfstormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 03:55 PM   #9
Taleia
Sapling

The drama camp I am going to this summer has been known to perform the Hobbit. If they do it, I'll get info on it and bring it back.
Taleia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 08:49 AM   #10
Hans Moleman
Hobbit

Most plays are boaring, even the LOTR play

"Ahh my brain"
Hans Moleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 06:11 AM   #11
Agburanar
Elf Lord

You are so mistaken you even spelt 'boring' wrong.

I'm afraid I have no further conversation to hold with the uncultured.

ROLLING STOCK, WE'RE ROLLING STOCK!!
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 03:29 AM   #12
hama1
Elven Warrior

Hi Agburanar...

Considering that yours is the first post here in over a month, it seems no one has further conversation to hold with anyone.

Brad
hama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 04:36 AM   #13
Hans Moleman
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Agburanar

I'm afraid I have no further conversation to hold with the uncultured. [/B]

OOOOhhh look at me i'm so perfect because i go around watching stupid plays and thinking that thats cultured. I was merely expressing my humble opinion on my previous post and quite frankly i am dissapointed by your total lack of gusto.

PS I cant help that i am not the best typer in the world and sometimes spell words incorrrrrectlyy. (Note the deliberate spelling mistake and the sarcastic tone in my typing !!! )

"Ahh my brain"
Hans Moleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 12:23 PM   #14
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady of Rohan
I've never seen any tolkien plays or heard of any been preformed, but if some one was to make one then it would be really long.
And require about thirteen bazillion extras . No, I've never seen or heard of any Tolkien-based plays. I think they should make a musical out of the story of Tinuviel and Beren. That story's better for the opera-type setting.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 08:55 PM   #15
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I went to see The Hobbit at the theatre a few years ago. Bilbo and the dwarves were puppets, but Gandalf was an actor. It was very good. And I got my own hobbit mug as well! I found a review of it from TORN here
Old 10-16-2003, 05:22 AM   #16
willrusuk2003
Sapling

Nazgul

i think puppet dwarves would freak me out loads
those little things with such big beards aaaaaaaaahhhhh
willrusuk2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 08:10 PM   #17
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

i also saw THE HOBBIT as a play, in main when i was about 11 and had just finished reading it. it was one of those really kinda cheap ones when college drama students want to make a play. they had about 7 people who all changed costumes to represent all the charecters. they only could show 4 dwarves on stage at any one time.

smoug the dragon was this huge puppet that blew smoke and red and orange its of tissue paper, that was pretty cool!

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 03:33 PM   #18
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i've done the hobbit twice with two different children's theatre groups i work with (ages 9-18)... it's a great show, obviously we just stick to the main points (and no battle of five armies )... theatre requires even more brevity and "to-the-pointness" than film does

basically you pick the scenes you want to feature, and then add dialog to fit the important parts you missed... you also want to try and not get too deeply concerned with plot and character complexities... in theatre it is usually best to pare things down to the essentials and then make the most out of each scene you decide to feature

and avoid a narrator at all costs!! they always slow things down
Old 01-29-2004, 01:53 PM   #19
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

i saw the hobbit as a play not that long ago, its was extreamly good, and the prop for smaug was amazing, it was HUGE and gorgeous, made out of wood. and the acting was cool too, those dwarves all had amazing singing voices.
the spiders were cool as well - they were people in suits on all fours and with wires so they could leap from trees - they moved so life like!
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote