Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The One Ring Musical
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-27-2002, 07:31 PM   #1
SamwiseGamgeeOTS
Elven Warrior

Location: A quaint little hole which last time I checked was somewhere near Ohio, Middle-Earth.
Sam Gamgee What is this?!?

ok...about this One Ring musical....How is it goin to work? I'm not getting how this will all be pulled together? Or, is it just one of those things that you talk about doin and never do?

-CONFUZED!
Old 07-05-2002, 09:57 PM   #2
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
Re: What is this?!?

Quote:
Originally posted by SamwiseGamgeeOTS
-CONFUZED!

Me too!

Having someone to blame is nearly as good as having a solution to the problem

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 12:47 AM   #3
hama1
Elven Warrior

Well I have answered this question in various forms before but here goes. I have been involved in a number of Broadway and off-broadway productions as a writer, actor and manager. This is my first solo project. I am represented by ICM, the worlds largest theatrical and litererary talent agency. I have sold the music publishing rights to Halen Entertainment which has produced numerous recordings of Broadway shows and I raised $50,000 to purchase the option on the rights to produce a Broadway Musical version of LotR.

As far as talking about it and never doing it, I have written it and the first act of the script is available for reading elsewhere on this site...(I invite comments, criticisms and suggestions). What we have not done as yet is secure a producer to raise the 12 to 15 million dollars that the production will require. Unfortunately, I am involved in a number of projects and am currently spending most of my time out of NYC at the moment so I have not given The One Ring my complete attention in recent months.

The process is for me to find time to get to NY to oversee the recording of a demo recording. Once that is completed, my agent will shop the project to producers who if one decides to purchase the project will raise the money for a "workshop" production where we will try the show out and make the necessary changes. Once the Producer is satisfied, he/she will raise the money for a full fledged production and hire the production team (Director and other creative talent, etc.) hold auditions and lease the theatre.

I guess that is about it for the details. I hope that it answers your questions.
hama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 02:24 AM   #4
OrangeStone
Sapling

Wow! A musical ! I had never thought of such a thing seriously. If this comes about I will be greatly amused and will want to see it. Good luck.
OrangeStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 05:33 PM   #5
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

okay, so are you saying that the musical will be shown live in diffrent towns, if so then get one to caome to asheville north carolina!

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 10:19 PM   #6
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
What will they do for songs-i mean, there are a lot of elven songs, but there only a couple lines long.

Having someone to blame is nearly as good as having a solution to the problem

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 10:47 PM   #7
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Maybe you should read the other topics in this forum and actually go to the One Ring Musical Page before asking any other questions. Ok?

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 11:09 PM   #8
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Quote:
Originally posted by samwiselvr2008
okay, so are you saying that the musical will be shown live in diffrent towns, if so then get one to caome to asheville north carolina!
Hey Samwise, my grandmother lives in Black Mountain and has a house in Montreat, right down the road from you!!

I hope to see this play on opening night!!!
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 12:46 AM   #9
hama1
Elven Warrior

OrangeRock...apparently no one else did either. Perhaps if I had known it was impossible...or at least so difficult to adapt LotR to the stage I never would have attempted it or spent 3 years doing so.
Amused?

Samwise...where the show tours is up to the producer not me but my guess is that road companies of Broadway shoes do ocassionally visit Charlotte at least.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:44 PM   #10
Lollypopgurl
Elven Warrior

Cool! I never knew anything about a musical either. Good luck!
Old 12-22-2002, 04:04 AM   #11
hama1
Elven Warrior

we get closer and closer....new announcements soon...
Old 12-23-2002, 09:19 PM   #12
musicalandlotrlovr
Hobbit

Musical?

And you're doing all three books? "Fellowship", "Two Towers" AND "Return of the King"? How long is this musical going to be? I mean, it's a great idea, I can just see duets between Sam and Frodo and all, but seriously, how are you going to do things like the Battle of Helm's Deep? Obviously you're going to have to cut a bunch of stuff from the book. Will all the information be able to go through?
I'm very interested in the music. Are you going to post the sheet music somewhere?
Thank you for your time.
musicalandlotrlovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 02:15 AM   #13
Eowyn Eleniel
Sapling

Strider sheet music

The idea of a LOTR musical is interesting if not incredibely difficult. The script and songs are pretty good. Is the sheet music worked out yet?
Eowyn Eleniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 03:21 AM   #14
hama1
Elven Warrior

Musicalandlotrlover...

You can get a good idea of the show from reading the script here on tolkien trail. go to the main page. the link is on the right. we don't do helm's deep. i couldn't see any way to do the scene justice on stage. The show basically starts at the council at rivendell and ends with the coronation of Aragorn...although the duet between sam anf frodo that ends the show is basically grey havens and also one of my favorite songs...at least of my songs.

Eowyn...I have lead sheets for most of the songs written out and at least one was up on the site here....I think it was Eowyn's "with his words".
Old 12-26-2002, 10:03 AM   #15
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
Its gonna be good
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 03:33 PM   #16
Shadowfax123
Sapling

are you serious?

A musical? no offence or anything...but give me a break! It would be horrible! could you imagin trying to show a singing Sauron, or sauroman? how about an orc duet. please! Don't ruin my favorite book sand movies! I'm sure the aothor is extreemly talented but...chanel those talents AWAY from tolkien!
Shadowfax123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 02:51 AM   #17
hama1
Elven Warrior

Shadowfax....don't worry about sauron singing...I am enough of a traditionalist that I agree with both Tolkien and Peter Jackson and I keep Sauron unseen. Saruman doesn't sing either. Actually there is an Orc duet but it is actually qutie good. I guess I would feel more compelled by your post if you had said..."I just finished reading the script and lyrics and I think they suck...please don't ruin my favorite books and movies." After having seen TTT, I figure if my musical is only half as bad as PJ's movie it will win the Tony award and run for years. At least the changes I made were forced on my by constraints of time and medium and were not pure arrogance that I could tell a better story than Tolkien. BTW, yes...I am extremely talented.

Last edited by hama1 : 12-28-2002 at 02:52 AM.
Old 12-31-2002, 11:50 AM   #18
Eglantine Banks
Hobbit

I'm intrigued

Well, Hama, I've read the synopsis and I'm intrigued. Obviously your theatrical treatment can only be scenes from LOTR and not LOTR itself. I hope you get the funding and that this project goes forward. As a long time Tolkien fan I'd be very interested.

How would you characterize the music? Is it more along the lines of rock music or Broadway music? Are there sound clips of any of it on the site?

-Eglantine
Eglantine Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 01:44 AM   #19
hama1
Elven Warrior

Eglantine,

I am glad you are intrigued. If you get the time, please read the script. I think you might enjoy it and it obviously gives one a clear idea of my thoughts about how to adapt LOTR to the stage.

As for the music, I would have to describe it as "pop opera" in the vein of Lez Miz or Miss Saigon...perhaps with a bit of Ragtime (the musical) thrown in. I had orginally intended the show to be a sung through or operatic musical but that didn't work given time constraints and the amount of information that needs to be conveyed.

Unfortunately, at the moment, I have no audio files available on the web. That is my next priority concurrent with recording of the demo cd.

Hama
Old 02-01-2003, 08:22 PM   #20
Diamond
Hobbit

It sounds intriguing! I was born a fan of musical theater, and I would venture to guess this would be no different. Good luck!

Di

Last edited by Diamond : 02-01-2003 at 08:32 PM.
Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote