Mrs.Gimli
Hobbit

not J K
Mrs.Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 04:44 AM   #22
hamaone
Sapling

Lord of the rings musical

I had heard...seen on the intenet,etc...that there was a production of lord of the rings as a musical opening in london sometime this spring. There was even a website thelordoftheringsmusical.com I signed up for e-mail updates but have recieved none. I owned the first options on the rights to produce a LotR musical but when this group came up with the money I sold my option on the rights back to Tolkien Enterprises.

So I don't know if this production is going forward or not. I do know that I spent over 2 years trying to adapt LotR into a musical. I did it for my own enjoyment. If people don't like it...that is okay...some people have liked it or at least some of it. I literally spent hundreds of hours writing and re0writing the script. I also saw the movies...Some of it was great...some of it sucked....some of it was so far from the source material I could barely recognize it.

As far as my paying the webmaster of this site...yes I did...I didn't do it to keep this forum open...I did it to help keep this site running. It probably would have kept running without me but I think my contribution helped....and if it did great....if people have enjoyed the tolkientrail since then...even better...it is a great site.

I wish I could have seen my work...and it was a lot of work...come to fruition on stage....maybe it will somehow or somewhere....I also apologize for not keeping up with the entmoot forum. I also said in a post long ago that I hoped this would be a forum for the musical until the producers got their website up and running...I don't know that they have.

as far as dwarfs singing...yes they can...as far as the webmaster of this site keeping this forum open...that is up to him. as far as people insulting my talent and my work...well...give it your best shot...that is what it is all about...

Sincerely,

Hama
hamaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 03:49 PM   #23
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

Well its finally happening then...

The premier is to be in Canada!

The producers wanted it to be in London but there were no large enough theaters availible.

Heard it on the news, however cant seem to find it on the net... the Lotr music is indeed very elusive!

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 01:57 AM   #24
hamaone
Sapling

Canada is it?

Twista,

Please update us if you can find the theatre in Canada where it is going to premiere. It will be easier for me to get there than to London.

Hama
Old 03-16-2005, 10:48 PM   #25
Mercutio

from a different article: Although it is presumed to be destined eventually for London's West End, it will have its world premiere at the Princess of Wales theatre here with a largely Canadian cast. Rehearsals begin this Oct. 24. Tickets go on sale mid-May. Performances will begin Feb. 2, 2006 with the gala opening performance on March 23.

~

TORONTO - The much-anticipated stage adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings trilogy will have its world premiere in Toronto, producers announced in London Tuesday.

The $27-million show, co-produced by Toronto's Mirvish Productions, will open in March 2006 at the Princess of Wales Theatre with a largely Canadian cast, said producer Kevin Wallace, a former Andrew Lloyd Webber collaborator who produced Webber's Jesus Christ Superstar and Sunset Boulevard.

Elijah Wood starred as Frodo in Peter Jackson's 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy. (AP file photo)

With a cast of 50 and elaborate staging, the audience will be "plunged into the events as they happen," said director Matthew Warchus. "We have not attempted to pull the novel towards the standard conventions of musical theatre, but rather to expand those conventions so that they will accommodate Tolkien's material."

The show had been scheduled to debut in London this spring to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the publication of the complete trilogy, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers and The Return of the King. However, there was no theatre available to accommodate the massive and technically complex three-hour production, producers said. The London debut is now set for fall 2006.

The musical will feature a book and lyrics by Warchus and British playwright Shaun McKenna. The music is by Bollywood composer A.R. Rahman, responsible for the U.K. hit Bombay Dreams, and Finnish group Varttina. Others involved include Saul Zaentz, the producer behind such films as One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and The English Patient, and Michael Cohl, producer of Spamalot.

In development for the past four years, the show's original cost estimate of about $20 million was touted as the most expensive in the history of British theatre.

Toronto-born composer Howard Shore has been touring the world with his 'Lord of the Rings' symphony.

Tolkien's epic has been the subject of a revival of late, thanks to Peter Jackson's award-winning film trilogy, which has grossed more than $3 billion US worldwide. The final instalment swept the 2004 Academy Awards, including best picture. The Canadian Children's Opera Chorus produced an opera adaptation of Tolkien's The Hobbit last summer and Toronto-born composer Howard Shore, who created the score for Jackson's films, adapted his music into a symphony work entitled The Lord of the Rings: A Symphony in Six Movements for Orchestra and Chorus. The piece has been performed to sold-out audiences around the world.

The musical's Canadian debut is a welcome shot in the arm for Toronto's theatre industry, which has been in the doldrums since a 2003 outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome sent the city's tourism industry into a tailspin.

Since the SARS outbreak, Toronto-based productions of the multiple Tony Award-winning shows Hairspray and The Producers have closed earlier than expected because of weak ticket sales.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.

Last edited by Mercutio : 03-16-2005 at 10:49 PM.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 11:30 PM   #26
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

i believe the play site is www.lotr.com

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 02:50 AM   #27
hamaone
Sapling

News on Lotr Premiere

Mercutio, Hobbut et al,

Yes. The link Hobbit posted will take you to the Musical website. It was originally www.lordofringsmusical.com I haven't checked if that will link you to the new site. I found that a google search of lotr+musical+canada brought up 3 or 4 mews stories. http://jam.canoe.ca/Theatre/2005/03/15/961728.html This was one of them.

One of the stories does mention a London opening in the Fall of 2006.

Damn. If I just had had a spare 27 million a year or so ago.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:18 PM   #28
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Nope it's not. And I don't think a musical would be that bad.

I mean, "Camelot" worked as a musical. There were only three main characters, but that's not the point.

I also saw a play of "The Hobbit" and I thought it was great. Of course, it didn't make sense to anyone who didn't read the book first, but that's not the point either.

I think a musical adaptation is the ultimate simplification of a book. But it can work. And it's not like Tolkien doesn't already contain really great lyrics.
Exactly. Many good books, complicated books- have been simplified when re-written for operas or musicals.
I'm not going to expect too much book following (that was for the movies to do), and I expect that seeing Frodo sing and dance will be strange and probably hilarious. I'm looking forward to see what its about though...

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 03:12 AM   #29
hamaone
Sapling

Hector...actually I would hope that the musical does follow the book. Of course a lot will have to be cut out but hopefully they will not add things as Peter Jackson chose to. The musical adaptation that I wrote (not the one being produced) at least tried to do that. It basically hangs on two relationships...the one between Aragorn and Gandalf, and the one between Frodo and Sam. I think if the writers...librettist and lyricist do that then they should be okay.

As far as Frodo dancing? I don't think we will see much dancing in lotr the musical. I think it will be much more like les miserables...no dancing...just incredibly powerful music.

just mho.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:20 PM   #30
emily leonard
Enting

Strider wow

a musical would b kl dont no how they would pull it of though
emily leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 08:26 PM   #31
Manveru
Elven Warrior

apparently someone my older sister knew in high school (she graduated in 2000) was called to audition for the part of Pippin, that would be pretty cool
Where the shores are sheer and dim
He launched his bark like a silver spark
From the last and lonely sand;
Then on sunlit breath of day's fiery death
He sailed from Westerland
Manveru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 03:43 PM   #32
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamaone
Hector...actually I would hope that the musical does follow the book. Of course a lot will have to be cut out but hopefully they will not add things as Peter Jackson chose to. The musical adaptation that I wrote (not the one being produced) at least tried to do that. It basically hangs on two relationships...the one between Aragorn and Gandalf, and the one between Frodo and Sam. I think if the writers...librettist and lyricist do that then they should be okay.

As far as Frodo dancing? I don't think we will see much dancing in lotr the musical. I think it will be much more like les miserables...no dancing...just incredibly powerful music.

just mho.
Yours sounds good. has anyone watched the production in london? any news?

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 04:55 PM   #33
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Is there any news about where it is playing yet. Is it in London HB, because I'd be interested in seeing it, and thats probably the closest it will come to me.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 01:36 AM   #34
hamaone
Sapling

Not playing yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
Is there any news about where it is playing yet. Is it in London HB, because I'd be interested in seeing it, and thats probably the closest it will come to me.
I think if you go to www.lotr.com you can get the latest news...as I understand it is scheduled to openin Toronto in Febuary of 2006...Yes I have already ordered my tickets for March but I am trying to use some contacts to actually geet opening night tickets...since I did have the idea first if not necessarily best.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:30 PM   #35
Smeagol_fan
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Nope it's not. And I don't think a musical would be that bad.

I mean, "Camelot" worked as a musical. There were only three main characters, but that's not the point.

I also saw a play of "The Hobbit" and I thought it was great. Of course, it didn't make sense to anyone who didn't read the book first, but that's not the point either.

I think a musical adaptation is the ultimate simplification of a book. But it can work. And it's not like Tolkien doesn't already contain really great lyrics.
I'm sorry, but I couldn't help but see that you liked the play of "The Hobbit." I saw it and it made me gag. I'm sure the cast and crew all tried their best, but it was a) a bit stupid, b) amazingly lacking in cast members and c) disgustingly bereft of many scenes from the book. Ah well. It might have just been that particular production.
In any case, I think the musical of LotR will be very good. At least for a play based on a series of books like Lord of the Rings.

No one expects...oh, bugger.
~ Monty Python's The Spanish Inquisition

-What is taters, precious?
-Po-ta-toes
~ LotR, Two Towers (the movie)

Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow;
Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow.

~Tom Bombadil, LotR, The Fellowship (the book)

"-Do you remember your mother?
-You mean Natalie Portman?"
~The One-Man Star Wars Trilogy
Smeagol_fan is offline   Reply With Quote