Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The One Ring Musical
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-05-2003, 10:39 PM   #21
azalea
Long lost mooter

He was, and the script is housed on the Tolkien Trail, but unfortunately they were unable to come up with enough money to back it for production. Now it turns out someone else is doing it.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 10:55 PM   #22
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

oh where abouts do i go to look at the script on the site
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.

Last edited by gimli7410 : 06-05-2003 at 10:57 PM.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 11:11 AM   #23
hama1
Elven Warrior

no...unfortunately.
hama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 11:13 AM   #24
hama1
Elven Warrior

Gimli,

Go to the Tolkien Trail main page. The link to The One Ring is on the right hand side of the main page.

Hama
Old 06-06-2003, 11:15 AM   #25
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

yea i just read the script and it looks pretty good. sorry about the financial problems
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 07:42 AM   #26
LutraMage
Elven Warrior

Location: Tolkien's England where the tale grew in the telling...
You ever play the old mime game where you begin: 'is it a book, or a film, or a play, or a song?' etc? Well, LoTR is just such a fantastic book, a real genuine ground breaking classic, so it is no surprise that it should be turned into a film, an animation and now a musical. The material is just too good for writers not to want to adapt it.

For me, it doesn't matter how good or bad what they do is, nor that I can't imagine the characters singing and dancing - the musical won't be 'the book' it will just be a musical based on the book. If its a good musical I'll enjoy it, if its poor, I won't bother to go see it. BUT IT WON'T REPLACE THE BOOK OR DAMAGE THE BOOK, in other words, it can't "ruin the story" because the story is already written and the worst they can do is make a bad musical. So I won't let what they do bother me too much - just like the film.

Last edited by LutraMage : 06-22-2003 at 02:01 PM.
LutraMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 12:24 AM   #27
hama1
Elven Warrior

Gimli,

I just re-read the script...I hadn't looked at it in a while. I think the first scene sucks. I have written and rewritten it so many times that it seems very cut up and at times repetitive...after that I don't think it is too bad.

LutraMage,

I really like your point of view. You are right that LotR is a classic and will stand alone for the ages. It would be a shame if they made a bad musical (especially after I have written such a good one... ) However, I am curious about your comment that "you can't imagine the characters singing..." What do you imagine when you read passages in the books where the characters ARE singing?

Hama
Old 09-06-2003, 09:44 PM   #28
nessa
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by hama1
I can't see any of the characters dancing either...that is why I haven't written any music for dance or planned on any choreography. As for not being able to envision any of the characters singing my only question is..."Have you read any of the books?" Sorry that was kind of mean but there are over 150 pages of lyrics in LOTR. Somebody must be singing them!
I thought, excuse me if I'm wrong, that they were mostly poems? JRR does not strike me as a dance hall entrepeneur?

Are you involved in bringing a musical to life? I have heard that someone was thinking of this. The movies have made enough of a mess! Please...!
Old 09-07-2003, 09:53 PM   #29
Galenavar
Elven Warrior

Yes, they are poems, but then, most songs are poems. You can tell that they are songs because quite frequently Tolkein writes that someone is singing them.

And, yes, Hama was planning on doing a musical of LotR. Unfortunately, someone else beat him to it. The LotR musical is being worked on as we speak. Or so I assume, since the news came out a while back.

As for the movies and half a dozen other of my arguments, please read them in earlier posts and in the multiple other threads arguing over the movie and the musical.
Galenavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 01:02 AM   #30
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

I support the musical! go musical!

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 06:35 PM   #31
Diamond
Hobbit

I'm not completely against the idea of a LOTR musical, but you'll have to excuse my skepticism. Nothing is impossible, particularly where theatre is concerned, but pulling off a story that is loved by many millions of people in this sort of medium is going to take skill on the part of everyone involved down to the last stagehand. Everyone is going to have an opinion on it. You can't please everyone all the time.

If nothing else, it would be good for a giggle or two.

Liz
Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 02:10 PM   #32
Lumox
Sapling

To attempt to bring the LOTR to a broadway stage is perhaps the most contrived, naive, and foolish ideas I've ever run across, even within the broadness of the internet.

To begin with, and this is probably the only reason that needs be supplied here, LOTR is an epic tale which is both vast and complex. To bring it to the screen took over nine hours, and that was with plenty of cuts of it's own. The only way to ever fit the gigantic proportions of Tolkien's tale would be to trim it to bare bones, stripping it of all it's charms.

Not to mention that the stage is supposed to be a place where character and emotion is expressed, not where plot is unraveled. Tolkien's LOTR was not about character, but about people, and places, and deeds. It is also about subtlety. How do you expect to take over 1,000 pages of literature, put it in, at most, a 3 hour production, and keep all of that?

There are plenty more points I could argue, but the whole idea is so silly I don't even feel a need for it. In short, the LOTR was written as a book, with the intentions and ambitions of a book. If it were meant for the stage, it would have been written as a screenplay. But indeed it was not, and that should be the end of it once and for all.

P.S.- Hama, it is rather conceited of you to point out that there is over 100 pages of lyrics in LOTR, and then not include any of or even a hint of them in your own lyrics. It absolutely ruins the flavor of the tale.
Lumox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 06:01 PM   #33
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

I don't think it's a bad idea. There were a lot of song and poems that could be sung in the story, and if they were the songs that were used I think it would be fine. It would be a different way of addapting the books than the movie was, but I don't think it will be bad.

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
ethuiliel is offline   Reply With Quote