Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-24-2010, 04:15 PM   #1
The Sorcerer
Sapling

Nazgul Decipher's Lord of the Rings RPG: A Campaign in the Making

Hullo there, good folk of the Entmoot! I'm looking for all the information and aid I can get in crafting a masterful plot for a game run I'm starting up soon, and I knew that, alongside a few other sites, I'd have to come here for the help I need. So, before I get to asking questions, how's about I give some details first, hm? Sound good? Good. There's no real need for me to tell the epic tale I envision at length, so I'll just use sum it up as best I can. Queue bullets!
  • The campaign will cover the subject of the growing Shadow, of course.
  • It will focus more on Sauron's Lieutenants and their realms and domains, as opposed to the Dark Lord himself, the Ring, or the matters of the Fellowship.
  • This, of course, means that the chief antagonist will be the Witch-King and his forces of Angmar.
  • It will, however, include adventures involving all of the Ringwraiths, as well as a fair share of other Evils.
  • The order in which I will have the minions of the Dark Lord dealt with is still undetermined, and I'm open to ideas and suggestions, but I want to include most, if not all, possible strongholds and beasties of Mordor and its allies.
  • I want the greatest amount of focus on the North and the other far-reaches that received little attention in the movies and such.
  • In other words, I don't want this to be all about Rohan, Gondor, or the main characters of the stories, but rather what was going on in the rest of the world around the same time.
  • I'm no purist. I have used games and other such things as sources, and I am willing to assume a little and piece things together, 'cause I'd rather have fun and blow minds at the cost of, perhaps, bastardizing a few of Tolkien's unexplained things that are left to the imagination, rather than stick to the books.
  • One of the major things I wanna touch on are the identities of all of the Nine, so I'll be looking for possible pre-Wraith candidates, because I intend for the PCs to encounter them all.
  • Another foe I'll be pitting them against are a band of Evil Dwarves in cahoots with Angmar. For this I have searched several sources and decided to mix and match them, doing a bit of guess-work as well, and that's something I wanted opinions on.
  • Also among them are Evil Men, as I wanted to give a face to the foe, aside from the usual, green-skinned one of the Orcs or the hooded mug of the Lord of the Nine.
  • Last, but not least: Trolls. I need trolls. Angmar loves trolls. I love trolls. We need 'em.
  • Orcs, of course, will be included, too. I don't wanna focus on them, though, but a few name drops and a couple of boss characters wouldn't hurt.

As a footnote, about the Evil Dwarves and Men... in the case of the Men, I was thinking along the lines of wild men or these Black Numenorians, which I know next to nothing about but hear such good things about. And, in the case of Dwarves, I was using pieces of information from what Tolkien gave, as well as stuff from the "Dwarves of Middle-Earth" source book for the game, and tid-bits of info and inspiration from the Lord of the Rings Online game that I love so much. I expect some looks. I know, as I said I'm no purist, I'm disgusting and vile. I even love the movies. ANYWAYS! Dwarves! In the Lord of the Rings Online there is a character named Skorgrim Dourhand who led a clan of exiled Dwarves from the ruins of the Blue Mountains. Because of their ancestral home, the Blue Mountains area, their hatred of Elves, and their behavior shown in the game, I have linked them with Uri's Folk, who hale from that region, who lost their home (Nogrod, in this case), and who also have an old dispute with Elves and a knack for corrupt and evil tendencies. Need some opinions on that. And, unrelated, I think Gothmog should've been (in the movies)/was (in the books) a Ringwraith. Would it be a sin to make that so in this run? I am, like, obsessed with seeing the names of all the Ringwraiths brought to light.

Thanks in advance for all comments and help on the subject. It is all much appreciated. I shall continue to turn to this thread for guidance, rest assured, so expect me to be back. Hm... that's all for now, though, I guess... but before I go, one last thing. This run is going to be online. I'm either doing it over AIM or Proboards, both of which I am accustomed to and know have dice rollers available for them. So! If someone on here would like to take part in this, either out of a love for Lord of the Rings, this game, me, or some combination thereof, feel free to mention it in a post or in a PM.

Pen and paper RPG experience preferred. RP experience a must. Experience with this game not expected, but welcomed with lots of appreciation and amazement. That is all. Thanks again.
The Sorcerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:02 AM   #2
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Welcome to the Entmoot. Since we have an RPG-forum, I am moving this thread there.