Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-15-2002, 03:41 PM   #1
Elfstone.
Hobbit

They screwed up Aragorn..

They totally missed the boat with Aragorn and here come the reasons.

1) He never chose not to become King he was always waiting for his time. However in themovie Elrond says he strayed from that path long ago. NO hemost certainyl did not.

2) He was suppose to ahve the narsul shards reforged before they set out from Rivendell, but nooo they didtn'show this either.

3) Aragorn is the man he frikin ROCKS the nazgul at weathertop then he proceeds at the end of the movie to get his butt kicked in by ONE, 1, PREMIER, UNE Uruk-Hai!! What the heck there is no way ONE,1 Uruak-Hai is more powerful than 5, FIVE! Nazgul. Also with this at the end of the ROTK it talks about how Aragorn was unscathed from the battle because he was the man he was the awesoem amazing guy we all thought he was, they totally wrecked that in the movie.

4) The healing hands they totally messed that up they made Aragorn look like a fool when Arwen sneaks up on him(like that would ever happen) and it makes Aragorn sound like hes guessing that the Kingsfoil would work, bahhh they screwd up Aragorn

There are probably others but thats all i can think of right now.

Sort of ticks me off a bit because Aragorn is my fav character i feel most like and ammost able to become him and they screwd him up.

Sob* sob*

Elfstone
"Now in the very hour of his great designs the heir of Isildur and the Sword are revealed; for I showed the blade re-forged to him. He is not so mighty yet that he is above fear; nay, doubt ever gnaws him."

- When Aragorn son of Arathorn looks Sauron straight in the eyes and Sauron cowers.

Anduril flaming in my right hand.
The Palantir's blue eminating glow in my left hand.
3500 Year's of Kingly Numenorean bloodline flowing through my veins.
Who's your Tyler Durden, now?

Christ Reigns.

Romans 10:9
Ephesians 6
Psalm 91
Elfstone. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 03:58 PM   #2
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

Yeah - they did wimp out Aragorns character. Not many of the characters were portrayed like they are in the book. I agree with you. I know others are going to come on here to say it was Jackson's movie and his interpretation. But a lot of the characters I think were watered down, except of course Arwen.

I didn't really get why Jackson had to make Aragorn forsake his heritage, where as in the book - he was just biding his time. I guess Jackson wanted to make him more flawed or something. With Aragorn's seeming lack of herbal medicine knowledge in the movie, I'm surprised he was able to survive in the wild as a Ranger. Alslo - he should have known from growing up in Rivendell how to ease Frodo's pain. I just think the changes made to Aragorn were to make Arwen stronger and more central to the story.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 04:50 PM   #3
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Gollum

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
I didn't really get why Jackson had to make Aragorn forsake his heritage, where as in the book - he was just biding his time. I guess Jackson wanted to make him more flawed or something. With Aragorn's seeming lack of herbal medicine knowledge in the movie, I'm surprised he was able to survive in the wild as a Ranger. Alslo - he should have known from growing up in Rivendell how to ease Frodo's pain. I just think the changes made to Aragorn were to make Arwen stronger and more central to the story.
I agree with that largely. There were flaws about Aragorn, but I think they were mostly due to the script and the cutting of certain scenes(I would have liked to see the reforging of Anduril too, I feel that that is an important moment) to make the movie shorter.

But I did really notice Aragorn lacking any herblore. He IS human so I guess there are certain aspects of elfen medecine he just can't learn.

Arwen was definately made more prominent, but I don't think they made Aragorn weaker to achieve that.

The thing that I noticed is that he was waving that sword around pretty much BEFORE he got to Rivendell where it was supposed to be forged AFTER he arrived there.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 07:08 PM   #4
jerseydevil

Nazgul

That was a different sword he had before they arrived at Rivendell. Jackson changed that. In the movie Narsil is kept in a private room on an altar. That's the scene with Boromir walking in on Aragorn reading. Boromir picks up the hilt of Narsil and then drops it in disgust after seeing Aragorn sitting there. They never do show it reforged as Anduril - so as far as movie goers that haven't read the books - Narsil is still sitting in Rivendell in pieces.

I have no idea if it was reforged or not in the movie. I really didn't look at Aragorn's sword too closely after they left Rivendell. I was surprised when he pulled a full sword out on Merry and Pippin at the Prancing Pony though.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 01-15-2002 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-15-2002, 11:16 PM   #5
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

i should think that narsil would have been reforged, as it's fairly important later on, as a token of his kingship. perhaps anduril isn't mentioned until ROTK. shadowfax wasn't mentioned in FOTR either (was he?) so i hope maybe they'll introduce him when the company comes to rohan and gandalf receives him.

at any rate, i agree with you elfstone. i think aragorn's character in the movie was far too dissimilar to his character in LOTR. my sister and i agreed it just wasn't aragorn. although IMO i don't think they watered down aragorn's character in order to make arwen's part larger, i think they just did that because she is a hollywood star and people like to see pretty faces on the screen. *sigh* it was still an enjoyable movie though...
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 11:27 PM   #6
jerseydevil

Well I had heard rumors - I'm not sure where - that Arwen was going to present Aragorn with Anduril once Sauron is defeated in ROTK and that the sword isn't reforged yet.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 01-15-2002, 11:41 PM   #7
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

let's hope that they are nothing but rumours although i suppose that would give livvy some more screen time...
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 09:26 AM   #8
Elfstone.
Hobbit

1 Urukhai to 5 Nazgul

I think thats the main deal Aragorn holds off and makes the 5 nazgul flee at weathertop however fighting one uruk-hai he gets the c_rap kicked out of him, nearly dies before he kills it.

Elfstone
"Now in the very hour of his great designs the heir of Isildur and the Sword are revealed; for I showed the blade re-forged to him. He is not so mighty yet that he is above fear; nay, doubt ever gnaws him."

- When Aragorn son of Arathorn looks Sauron straight in the eyes and Sauron cowers.

Christ Reigns.

Ephesians 6
Psalm 91
Old 01-16-2002, 11:55 AM   #9
Lightice
Elven Warrior

In movies, Aragorn gets Narsil, when he leaves to Paths of the Dead. This has been told in interviews.
He wasn't that bad, though in fighting scenes he was too much superman-like. With three sentences the fleeing of Nazgul could had been explained easily: "I see why they fled. They taught, that they had wounded Frodo lethally and that their work was almost done. There is hope, however, as the blade didn't hit in heart, but shoulder."
Also, that Aragorn fighting against Uruk Hai, was meaningless, and I think, that Frodo should had fled without telling anyone. Aragorn letting him go wasn't too good thing.
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 02:26 PM   #10
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I think the main reason Aragorn kicked those Nâzgul asses on the weathertop was that besides his sword he was also very conveniently wielding a torch. Those Nâzgul-guys apparantly didn't enjoy a little campfire, especially not when it's made from your own nice dark robes.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 09:36 AM   #11
Elfstone.
Hobbit

But its aragorn dude

Can you remember a time when Aragorn gets injured? Almost one time when he stumbles up the stairs at Helms Deep but he is saved by Gimli, thus this is the character Tolkien intended for him the King, unmatched, the man, the best amazing fighter and in the battle at the end of RotK it is him, Eomer, Pince Callidrhil(bad spelling) and some of the DUnedain that remain unscathed because they were that good. I dont think he shoulda been hit and beat up by the uruk hai.

Nor do i think Tolkien would of desired it so.

Yah i forgot a point earlier Aragorn would never LET Frodo go, thats a load of bs.

Elfstone

Christ Reigns.

Ephesians 6
Psalm 91
Old 01-17-2002, 08:09 PM   #12
Narwen Mithwing
Sapling

It's "prince Imrahil" not Calla somthin'
Old 01-17-2002, 09:36 PM   #13
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Narwen Mithwing, welcome to the Moot!

elfstone, I know you mean when Aragorn "stumbles up the stairs" in Moria...

Actually, I'll surprise some and say Aragorn could have bene portrayed better. I'm hoping when we see some of the footage which was edited out, that Aragorn will come off more complete, and that a few more of the parts folks sorely miss will be shown to have been in the original concept, but left out due ot choices made in the editing process. all the more reason for them to release the Director's Cut DVD with all available footage post-haste! *grin*
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote