Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-22-2002, 05:01 PM   #1
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

The choir thread

I remember a thread for band members...but I have never seen a CHOIR thread.

Is anyone in choir? I am. I'm a soprano in my school's concert choir...it's alot of fun. Choir gives me a chance to express my real feelings in a fun way. I'm usually viewed as the hyper little person, but that's not totally strange. Today, my whole choir went to the conference choral festival at my town's college. A very renowned conductor was our clinician and conductor. The day was a WONDERFUL experience. I wish I got to do a similar thing every day.

Any more choirheads out there?
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 05:05 PM   #2
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

I haven't been a part of an actual choir for a couple of years, but I'm an alto. I like to be able to sing the part that helps make the sopranoes sound good. I like to think of altoes as the chocolate cake, and sopranoes as the icing
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 05:55 PM   #3
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I love choir.

I do not, however, love my choir teacher. He has been a real jerk lately (but he is the type to be a jerk most of the time...incredibly stuck up "I'm better than everyone in this town" kind of person).

But I do love to sing. I'm a second soprano, but I can sing as high as a first and lower than several of our altos. I also sing OUT, which is why I'm a second instead of a first, since you can never hear the seconds (stupid freshmen singing first).

I kid around with my first soprano friends, calling them the "stupid singers" since they ALWAYS have the melody.
Old 10-22-2002, 06:42 PM   #4
Fred Baggins
Belladona Gamgee of the night sky

Location: second star to the right and straight on till morning.
I am a sop. in my highschool choir. Finally a good school choir!! I was in the recent collage choir since I was eight, but recently left, because i was afraid that I would have to much to do. There is another more in depth answer but you have to understand me and my old director to understand. Anywho...I am compleatly dedicated to my music, and someday hope to be in "The Phantom of the Opera" Big goal i know but I can dream can't I?
Pacha:Most likely.
Cusco:Bring it on.
~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`
Yes, I'm female. Fred Baggins is my NICKNAME!
"The reason of the unreasonable treatment of my reason so enfeebles my reason, that with reason I complain of your beauty."~Don Quixote
"Once upon a time there was a magical land where it never rained. The End."~from the movie 'Holes'
()_))_Crayola_))_>
Fred Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 07:12 PM   #5
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

I'm impressed with you opera/choir folks. I think I can hum without getting a tomatoed face, but I've heard choirs and the like and y'all really belt it out.

This one is deactivated, I think.
Aeryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 07:23 PM   #6
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I kind of missed out on my high school choir, but that's because I was already so involved with symphonic and jazz bands, joining the choir would mean giving up the only late-afternoons I had left.

I was thinking of auditioning for being the choir accompanist too, but I didn't, and the girl who got it instead... well, she's quite amazing.

I wish my school had vocal jazz. Well, we didn't... oh well
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 07:30 PM   #7
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

Man, well, I don't have any talent at singing, don't have the depths of breath or something?
So I have been known to play cello, violin, and piano.
(that sounded really braggy, I am an amateur!)

This one is deactivated, I think.
Aeryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 07:35 PM   #8
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

I love vocal jazz! It's amazing. I'm in our school's jazz choir, and I'm looking forward to the songs we're going to sing. They will be amazing!
Old 10-22-2002, 08:12 PM   #9
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Well, I don't go to pup-school so I can't sing in one of THOSE. But I am in the church one. I'm in the bass section even though I have a bit of tenor clinging to my voice.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 09:09 PM   #10
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
I'm a soprano in the Middle School Choir, and B flat is currently my worst enemy.

'nuff said. I'm gonna go back to screeching until I hit the damn note! Never mind me . . . I can hit the A, but not the B flat.

I love singing tho.
Hey Fred Baggins: Phantom of the Opera rules!! We're singing Masquerade in choir right now . . . hence the B flat . . . and it's fun. I've always loved that show. Have you seen it live?

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 09:22 PM   #11
Fred Baggins

Laurelyn, That is sooo cool! Masquerade, is one of my favorites! I havn't seen it live though...I actually haven't seen it at all, unless you count about 2 minuets at my local mall with really((and I mean really)) bad actors/actresses. Ah well, I guess my goal is to see it live before I am in it. But then I am not sure if they would let me stay the whole time since I would be singing along with all the songs. Hehe, I have memorized the whole score! I have the CD and I listend to it so much that I was sick of it((yeah for about a day!)) Now I love it again! Anywho I could go on and on, so before I that happens I better go!
"The reason of the unreasonable treatment of my reason so enfeebles my reason, that with reason I complain of your beauty."~Don Quixote
"Once upon a time there was a magical land where it never rained. The End."~from the movie 'Holes'
()_))_Crayola_))_>
Old 10-22-2002, 09:27 PM   #12
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
I saw it live in Toronto 5 years ago.

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 09:29 PM   #13
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

I'm a tenor in our Show Choir. We are pretty good this year. I hope to get a solo at the christmas concert
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 09:29 PM   #14
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Ah, The Phantom of the Opera... my mother's favourite musical, and probably my favourite Lloyd Webber. I've seen it twice myself - once when I was eight (didn't really remember it well) and once again in London last August, in Her Majesty's Theatre wherein it originally opened. I love it.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Old 10-22-2002, 09:35 PM   #15
Fred Baggins

*Throughs herself on the floor and has a tantrum* NOFAIRNOFAIRNOFAIRNOFAIR!!!!!! Everyone gets to see it but me!!! WAH!!!!! anywho I am done now...calm, collected, afterall you are talking((wirting?)) to one of the only people who having not seen it still nows the entire score, word for word, and movement for movment. Just calming myself down, soory if that sounded to much like bragging.
()_))_Crayola_))_>

Last edited by Fred Baggins : 10-22-2002 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-22-2002, 10:32 PM   #16
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Are we really happy with these silly games we play...looking for words to say Hehe..a song our 'varsity' jazz choir sang last year called Masquerade.

Ah, high b flat...yuuck...I've sung one though.
Old 10-23-2002, 09:28 AM   #17
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I'm a soprano in our school choir - we've just started learning Christmas carols
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 02:17 PM   #18
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

I'm a tenor in four choirs at my school. The 170 voice Bluevale singers, the chamer choir, the male chorus and A Shade of Blue (Sr. Jazz choir)
Old 10-23-2002, 04:03 PM   #19
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

Heehee...B flat! That is possibly one of the most awful notes ever invented. I've been way past that note, but only in warmups with my old vocal coach. But at the choral festival I went to yesterday...eek! I would guess about 50 sopranos were trying to hit that note at the end of one of our songs, a gospel called "Ride on King Jesus" Let me tell you, it was NOT pretty. At the final concert I was so disconcerted that I forced myself down to the second sopranos at the G. That made me feel better.
I wish I was a second like last year...it was alot harder, but so much more interesting. And I was actually the minority. But I'd worked so much on my range and performance over the summer that it seemed a pity not to fly on to top notes!!

I've never seen "Phantom" either. I love the music...so haunting. Has anyone ever seen or heard the Broadway edition of "The Secret Garden?" I love that soundtrack...it is the best. I wish I could see a live performance. Wow...that would be my dream come true.

I get to go to Chicago with choir, band, and orchestra to see "The Lion King" on tour this summer!! I'm so happy.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 06:23 PM   #20
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Quote:
"Are we really happy with these silly games we play...looking for words to say"
Yay, the Carpenters!

I play that song on the piano a fair bit... it's got great chords to improv over, and it takes a bossa nova beat really well.