Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-21-2002, 09:12 PM   #21
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

Darwin dicovered sciences 'india'.

Well, I believe that Catholisism is the wrongest form of Christianity. I mean, they say they follow the Bible (most), and yet don't follow the 10 commandments.
I have found in (my short life) that most catholics go to church because there parents did.
It's idolatry. Mary wasn't the mother of God, She had to **** the same as we all do.

This one is deactivated, I think.
Aeryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 09:32 PM   #22
webwizard333
Elf Lord

Quote:
Well, I believe that Catholisism is the wrongest form of Christianity. I mean, they say they follow the Bible (most), and yet don't follow the 10 commandments. I have found in (my short life) that most catholics go to church because there parents did.
It's idolatry. Mary wasn't the mother of God, She had to **** the same as we all do.
Thank you for that sweeping, dismissive statement about my faith. To clarify some points, I don't believe any branches of Christianity fully follow the Bible; we all follow Christ. In fact, our central scriptures, the New Testament, are largely dismissive of much of the Hebrew Scripture's teachings. Yes, some of them do pertain to our lives, but the key is instead is to imitate Christ's life and act constructively on his teachings. Also, about Catholics going ot Church I agree, but it's largely because of a misrepresntation and misuse of how Church services should be done. Btw, thanks for for the crack about Mary, very nice. This is all I'm going to say about the Church in this thread as it is a history thread.
Old 10-21-2002, 09:37 PM   #23
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

Didn't mean to insult you, but that's how I feel about it, also what I have abserved.

Old 10-21-2002, 11:00 PM   #24
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Tolkien would be offended

But seriously such discussions when they don't degenerate are interesting-but they should start fresh, in fact there is probably a dormant one around. I'm always up for religious argument. A Jewish thing I guess
Old 10-22-2002, 01:57 AM   #25
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

You know what, Aeryn, I think that this is much more of a philosophical/religious question then a history one. Not that I'm not perfectly willing to speak my own views on those things, or enter into such a debate, but this might be the wrong topic for it.

Anyway, I think that Darwin wasn't a fool. I don't know much about him, but he strikes me as a man trying to find the truth. Whether he found it or not is a matter of science, mathematics and faith. I personally don't think that man came from apes, but there's little basis for that except that I simply don't think God would do it that way.

Catholicism probably can be a difficult branch of Christianity for some people, particularly among the youth. I know however that all of these branches, Protestant, Catholic, Anglican, etc. all believe in the same God. We all probably make some mistakes, but God doesn't demand that with our own small minds we think up all the truth about the Bible and get it all right. He is more forgiving than that. All Christians who have a relationship with God, regardless of what branch of Christianity they belong to, is part of the one body.

Evolution being taught in schools . . . That's a difficult question, and I don't know what the answer to it is. It's good for Christians and people of other faiths to be aware of what science says, I suppose, so I don't really know whether I approve or not. I'm prepared to have my mind made up for me if some of you can come up with convincing enough arguments either for or against.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 02:11 AM   #26
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

It's important not to confuse Catholicism (and those who subscribe to it) with the Catholic Church as an institution.

The Catholic Church - the institution, not the faith - has been shown throughout the duration of its existence to be corrupt, politically heavy-handed and almost blasphemously hypocritical. It is arguable that it is virtually a cult by definition, due to its emphasis on dedication to the Church practically above dedication to the faith itself. Heck, that's why Luther's Reformation came about in the first place, the way I understand it.

That's not to say that all Catholics are inherently un-Christian. Not even close. That would be like saying all Germans are Nazis. It's just... plain... wrong.

Cool with that?
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 11:45 AM   #27
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

That's possible, I suppose. I'd appreciate hearing some evidence or factual information about that, though. I hardly know anything about the Catholic Church as an institution. But unfortunately, it's most probably not only them. Christians in America and other places are frequently doing a bad job at being witnesses to the world of their faith. The divorce rates in America among Christians is horrible, and 'we' seem ready to change our views on anything. The church my Mom plays the organ doesn't mind what gays do, and it's really sickening. When I went to church last I heard an estimate that 90% of Christianity is dead hulk, and only 10% are the living, active body of Christ. It's very painful, and I long for a change.

Well, I may seem to be publicly shooting down Christianity here, but simply because a large part of Christianity twist God's words to suit their own purposes doesn't condemn the religion. I am a Christian myself, and I talk to God almost every morning, so I know. It is a matter of faith, and stepping out on faith for something like Christianity and the Church isn't something that non-christians very easily do. But you aren't stepping out for those; you are stepping out to find out if God exists, and wants to speak to you and love you.

Anyway . . . another history question, please .

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 10-22-2002 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-22-2002, 04:00 PM   #28
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Well, it isn't a history debate question, but I'd be interested in finding out some information, if no one minds . Some of you are American, I see, and I was just wondering, what European history is normally taught in American schools? The stereotype is that 'Americans don't know anything about history other than their own' which I'm sure is neither true nor fair (I couldn't give a lucid account of the American Revolution, to my shame). Anyway, could someone generalise and give me a few examples? Thank you

Since I mentioned stereotypes - well, I'll resist the urge to defend Catholicism. I'm a Catholic and I've heard all this 'idolatry' stuff many times before. Also the whole 'Catholics are not real Christians' thing. Took a lot of convincing of my Christian friends of other denominations that I wasn't a devil worshipper in their midst
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 04:54 PM   #29
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Well, I'm afraid that even though I'm an American, I can't give you a general perspective. I'm homeschooled, so I don't know what is taught in the public school.

Our own family is very interested in history. My Dad has at least 50 books on different time periods. France, England, the Middle East. I read a book on Ancient Japan recently, and while I was younger I read especially about Europe.

Lately we've been concentrating especially on Ancient Egypt and the kingdoms of the Assyrians, Sumarians, and others around the time periods of The Old and New Kingdoms of Egypt.

However, I know there are plenty of people in America who are utterly bored with history, and some people in Europe too. Different people have different interests, wherever in the world they live. I don't know what the statistics in America are.
Old 10-22-2002, 04:56 PM   #30
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Well, I'm afraid that even though I'm an American, I can't give you a general perspective. I'm homeschooled, so I don't know what is taught in the public school.

Our own family is very interested in history. My Dad has at least 50 books on different time periods. France, England, the Middle East. I read a book on Ancient Japan recently, and while I was younger I read especially about Europe.

Lately we've been concentrating especially on Ancient Egypt and the kingdoms of the Assyrians, Sumarians, and others around the time periods of The Old and New Kingdoms of Egypt.

However, I know there are plenty of people in America who are utterly bored with history, and some people in Europe too. Different people have different interests, wherever in the world they live. I don't know what the statistics in America are.

You know what, I don't think that there's any need to defend Catholicism. It's not the faith that is being attacked so much as the church structure, and I think it's pretty plain that we all make mistakes. If you want to defend the faith though, you can go ahead.
Old 10-22-2002, 05:38 PM   #31
katya
Elven Maiden

First of all, I don't feel like defending the Catholic church. Maybe later. I am a Catholic myself, but I think of the Catholic church like I think of America. I like America, and I don't mind living in it. There are a lot of good things about America. But I don't like the government, or what it does. I hope that is clear.

Second, on European history in America:
I haven't taken world history in high school yet, but so far, we have had some in Middle School. Mostly what we did (now keep in mind that htis is not the greatest teacher ever) was studied (right out of the book) individual countries, a small bit of their history and government, and a lot about their crops, industries, imports/exports, etc. There is a taste of the culture too but not so much as the other things. With wars and things, I haven't really gotten into that so much yet (except American wars). I admit that I don't know nearly as much European history as I would like. I know very little except what I have learned on my own.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 06:29 PM   #32
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

Well, I have no professed faith, nor do I know of any specific god.
I was homeschooled in ACE as a 4th and 5th grader. Went to public school. Got kicked out my 7th year. Now I am in St. Augustines school. A catholic run institution, not live-in thank all things. It's for I suppose the 'uncooperative' youths *shrug* anyway, When I was in ACE we did Entire World History, the creation to present times. I learned of every country, probably not as in-depth as High School is but still I learned of it. The founding of the Catholic church. I do not attend the religious classes at my school, for the simple fact I have no religion and it isn't mandatory. I HAVE in fact sat in like 3 lessons when I first came here...well it was a load of dung as far as I was concerned.
The topic of religion is interesting, I study religions on my free time. Buddhism is one of the most comical. but anyway, I am down rambling so.
TTFN!

Old 10-24-2002, 08:01 PM   #33
mirial
Enting

YEAH, I have a history question and/or discussion topic.
Nero, Titas althoughs guys...didn't they just have the neatest torture devices? I'm not saying that I would want that to happen to anyone, but I get this twisted sort of excitement out of reading about it, like the Holocaust...It's like watching NASCAR and enjoying the wrecks (You have to admit, they are interesting to watch, as long as no one dies). Nero, he tied people in trees, smothered them in tar, and burned them in parties. Titas (or whatever the heck his anme is), let people starve themselves...\

No point to this really.

Sleep, my baby, on my bosom,
Warm and cozy, it will prove,
Round thee mother’s arms are folding,
In her heart a mother’s love.
There shall no one come to harm thee,
Naught shall ever break thy rest;
Sleep, my darling babe, in quiet,
Sleep on mother’s gentle breast.

Sleep serenely, baby, slumber,
Lovely baby, gently sleep;
Tell me wherefore art thou smiling,
Smiling sweetly in thy sleep?
Do the angels smile in heaven
When thy happy smile they see?
Dost thou on them smile while slumb’ring
On my bosom peacefully.
mirial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 12:35 PM   #34
Treebeard's apprentice
Elven Warrior

About European history in American schools:

Most Americans (hopefully) have a general knowledge of European history. The classes usually go into a good amount of detail, but most students don't care. The teachers just make sure you get the main points and the Big Picture (Greeks & Romans, Middle Ages, Crusades, Renaissance, Industrial Revolution, escalation of WWI & WWII, etc).
Treebeard's apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 01:30 PM   #35
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Thanks everyone for answering my question

Quote:
most students don't care.
I'm sure that's the same all over the world
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 04:06 PM   #36
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

Students DO care, I care, History, especially about other countries, is interesting. Fascinating even. I watch the Histroy channel for fun people!!!!!!!!
And most teachers give VERY detailed tests, (what day was George the third put on the throne? kinda stuff)

Old 10-25-2002, 04:41 PM   #37
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Well, I've bumped into a bunch of kids who don't care one way or the other about history, simply saying it's boring. I personally agree with you, Aeryn, in finding it fascinating. We are the intellectual minority.
Old 10-25-2002, 09:17 PM   #38
mirial
Enting

No one likes to talk about people covered in tar, burning in trees? Isn't this the Sadist's and Masochist's forum?

Sleep, my baby, on my bosom,
Warm and cozy, it will prove,
Round thee mother’s arms are folding,
In her heart a mother’s love.
There shall no one come to harm thee,
Naught shall ever break thy rest;
Sleep, my darling babe, in quiet,
Sleep on mother’s gentle breast.

Sleep serenely, baby, slumber,
Lovely baby, gently sleep;
Tell me wherefore art thou smiling,
Smiling sweetly in thy sleep?
Do the angels smile in heaven
When thy happy smile they see?
Dost thou on them smile while slumb’ring
On my bosom peacefully.
mirial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 11:09 PM   #39
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Make a torture thread if you want to talk about torture or horendous death.
Old 10-25-2002, 11:16 PM   #40
Dussander
Enting

I like Torture....
Dussander is offline   Reply With Quote