Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-20-2002, 08:47 PM   #1
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Pet Advice

I said in another thread that I had a dog that was 16. Right now, all this dog does is whine. Why? All day, day in, day out. What is her problem? She is almost blind, but she is treated well and has had a happy long life for 13 years. She was 3 when I got her and came from an abusive life. HELP!
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 08:51 PM   #2
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

It's probabaly the pack-animal in her/him, your dog is feeling old and worthless
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 08:56 PM   #3
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Sorry, SGH 16 is pretty old - maybe she is slightly hurting from something inside, or starting to get a little confused. I'm a big dog fan, but the sad part about having a dog is that they get older faster than we do.... I send sympathy to you via Entmoot from California to Ohio.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 09:09 PM   #4
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

is it when shes sitting or standing that she noramlly whines?

if it's standing and shes a larger breed of dog, then it could be arthritis in the hips, simple medication can comfort this, if it's when shes laying down then it could be in her shoulders or her leg joints, if it IS arthirits.

if she whines more after she eats or drinks alot, then there could be a pianful ulcer in her stomach or maybe shes gets gassy in her old age

the only real way to tell is to take her to a veterinary clinic or hospital and they might take some x-rays or something, but hey, maybe shes lonley! give her a hug and treats and a new toy!

other little things
-urinary tract
hip displaesia (sp?) or hip pain
same for shoulders
intestinal problems,
lonliness
earahces
eye pain? (a far shot, but a possiblity?)
foot pain (check the pads of her feet to see if they are cracked or chapped, bag balm works wonders for htis, just use it like nightly moisteriser.)
and that's all i can think of right now, im !00% sure theirs more but i'd have to go get the medical book, haha.
Old 10-20-2002, 09:19 PM   #5
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Ask Elvet...She's a vet!
Old 10-20-2002, 09:22 PM   #6
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

really? i didn't know that! cool! id din't know there was a vet on the moot!

i want to be a vet or vet assitant so bad!
Old 10-21-2002, 12:02 PM   #7
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Well, she is a small dog. I noticed she started doing this more and more after we moved out of our house we had lived in for 20 years. It wasn't as bad as it is now. She doesn't like being outside, when I put her out she howls. When she's inside, she whines. she wants to eat all the time too. I have to take her with me everywhere I go almost or she will drive the whole house crazy including our other two dogs. She seems to be less aggitated when I am with her. I think one major problem is that she is almost blind and is no longer able to see her surroundings and that scares her. She doesn't seem to be in pain, that is why I wondered why she is crying so much. For such an old girl, her health doesn't seem too bad.

Thanks for your advice folks.
Old 10-21-2002, 04:13 PM   #8
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Yes, it seems like the vision thing, after being in one house for almost her whole life, would be distressing to her. My big black mutt (who is lying here next to me while I post) sends a slobbery dog kiss to her, and please give her a nice little scratch on the head from me. I hope she gets better. Maybe you can make a nice little "safe spot" for her in a corner somewhere, or under a table (I have heard dogs like enclosed areas) with lots of her favorite smells and things, that she can curl up in and feel a bit more comfy.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 10-21-2002 at 04:15 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 10:30 PM   #9
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

Well, I can't give you any medical advice but it could be your doggy is a complainer.
My dogs a complainer, whines all the time, a wimp, a little wimp, won't stick up for herself (other dogs, cat). Has to ave me sling her around the house. It gets quite annoying, but then again I guess I shouldnt have babied her as a puppy.

This one is deactivated, I think.
Aeryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 10:49 PM   #10
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Aeryn
Well, I can't give you any medical advice but it could be your doggy is a complainer.
My dogs a complainer, whines all the time, a wimp, a little wimp, won't stick up for herself (other dogs, cat). Has to ave me sling her around the house. It gets quite annoying, but then again I guess I shouldnt have babied her as a puppy.
Yeah, my little critter is a wimp. Always has been. She has always been a whiner too, but nothing like the last few weeks.
Old 10-22-2002, 12:44 PM   #11
Elvet
Elven Warrior

Hi SGH. There's some good advice in this thread. First, consult with your veterinarian to help rule out medical issues that can cause discomfort - arthritis, abdominal abnormalities, dental deterioration, heart disease, etc. So many things can cause whining in an older pet - decreased faculties ( hearing, seeing), cognitive dysfunction ( senility, confusion ), hormonal and stress disorders. A good pysical exam is the first step.
Old 10-22-2002, 12:47 PM   #12
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Thank you much Elvet.
Old 10-25-2002, 07:31 PM   #13
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I want to thank everyone that replied to this thread with helpful advice, especially Elvet. You'll be happy to know that little miss whiney went to the vet today, and considering her elderly state, she is in pretty good shape. The doc said she has a pretty bad skin condition and may have some allergies. She gave me some shampoo and moisturizer for her. Maybe if I get that problem cleared up, it will tame the savage beast.

Thanks again everyone.