Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-26-2004, 07:15 PM   #21
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
It was Turgon not Thingol!
All those "T" names! The only thing worse is all those "F" names!

Quote:
As I said above I think Hurin and Huor play a major part in Turgon's pleasing.
That's a good point. I think if some random guy made it into Gondolin, it wouldn't have made such an impact on Turgon. However, the son of Huor making it to Gondolin was a confirmation of his greatness, like his dad, and Turgon couldn't help remembering Tuor's dad's valiant fighting and how much he owed him.

A quote from FoG:

Quote:
(Turgon speaking to Tuor): "Lo! thy coming was set in our books of wisdom, and it has been written that there would come to pass many great things in the homes of the Gondothlim whenso thou faredst hither."

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 11:45 AM   #22
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
That's a good point. I think if some random guy made it into Gondolin, it wouldn't have made such an impact on Turgon. However, the son of Huor making it to Gondolin was a confirmation of his greatness, like his dad, and Turgon couldn't help remembering Tuor's dad's valiant fighting and how much he owed him.
I wouldn't say some random guy but if say it had been Beren that had come to Gondolin it wouldn't have had the same impact as Tuor did.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 05:13 PM   #23
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I agree

(but doesn't that sound funny? Imagine some average random human accidentally wandering into Gondolin.... )

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 09-28-2004, 03:12 AM   #24
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

What about Aragorn. He was a descendant of both Tuor and Beren.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 04:49 AM   #25
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
(but doesn't that sound funny? Imagine some average random human accidentally wandering into Gondolin.... )
Turgon: "What bringest thou unto the forbidden realm of Gondolin? For it is written that none shall pass hither except that a great doom be upon the world"
Random human: (Opens suitcase) "Would you like to buy one of my fine household cleansing products?"
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 03:37 PM   #26
Rían

Oy! Mind bleach! Mind bleach!!! *runs off screaming*