Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-16-2021, 12:32 AM   #1
Tar-Lómedur
Sapling

Writing Style (for Fantasy)

We all know that writing isn't easy, especially when you are starting. Read and write (consecutively) is in my opinion the best way to find your way and style.

H. P. Lovecraft, Charles Bukowski, Stephen King, Fiódor Dostoiévski, Edgar Allan Poe, J. R. R. Tolkien, Machado de Assis, Raymond Chandler, Kobo Abe, Robert E. Howard, all of they knew (and one know) how to write in their own way and style, and probably didn't try to be another writer than theirselves (maybe a little).

But here, we want to focus on fantasy writers, like Rowling, Lewis, Tolkien, King (The Dark Tower), MacDonald, Gaiman, a bunch of genius weirdos that know how to put you in their own worlds. And they clearly take different approaches when writing a book, a novel, a tale, a screenplay, a diary or whatever. Let's take this as an example:

A piece of the book The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger by Stephen King:

The beans were like bullets, the corn tough. Outside, the prevailing wind snuffled and whined around the ground-level eaves. He ate quickly, ravenously, drinking four cups of water with the meal. Halfway through, there was a machine-gun rapping at the door. Brown got up and let Zoltan in. The bird flew across the room and hunched moodily in the corner.
“Musical fruit,” he muttered.
After dinner, the gunslinger offered his tobacco.
— Now. Now the questions will come.
But Brown asked no questions. He smoked and looked at the dying embers of the fire. It was already noticeably cooler in the hovel.

Now, a piece of The Return of the King by you know who:

Then Aragorn laid his hand on Merry’s head, and passing his hand gently through the brown curls, he touched the eyelids, and called him by name. And when the fragrance of athelas stole through the room, like the scent of orchards, and of heather in the sunshine full of bees, suddenly Merry awoke, and he said:
‘I am hungry. What is the time?’
‘Past supper-time now,’ said Pippin; ‘though I daresay I could bring you something, if they will let me.’
‘They will indeed,’ said Gandalf. ‘And anything else that this Rider of Rohan may desire, if it can be found in Minas Tirith, where his name is in honour.’
‘Good!’ said Merry. ‘Then I would like supper first, and after that a pipe.’ At that his face clouded. ‘No, not a pipe. I don’t think I’ll smoke again.’

Almost the same right? No. Different moods, different ways of dialogue, description, ambience and the reason for this thread, style (which sums up all those elements and more). So, after all this s*** (good s***), which author style do you think best suits the fantasy genre? (Doesn't need to be only one).

P.S. Sorry for my English. Portuguese speaker here.
Tar-Lómedur is offline   Reply With Quote