Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-06-2002, 03:31 PM   #1
truffleoreocookie
Sapling

Arwen Undomiel Who's YOUR favorite character???

In LOTR, my favorite characters were Pippin,then Frodo, then Merry, then Strider, then Gimli, then Legolas, then Sam. I liked them all about the same, but Pippin would have to be my favorite.
truffleoreocookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 04:05 PM   #2
Lightice
Elven Warrior

I loved Christoper Lee as Saruman. I didn't like wizard duel, but all other parts he was near-perfect. Especially his voice was astounishing.
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 04:18 PM   #3
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

My favorites were prolly Gimli and Legolas. Aragorn and Boromir come in a close third, then Gandalf and Saruman, the Hobbits, and lastly pretty much the entire elven species (present company excepted)
Old 01-06-2002, 06:49 PM   #4
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

I can never decide on just one favorite, or second favorite, so they all come in groups. But definitely Frodo and Gollum are my favorites, then Sam, Merry & Pippin, then Aragorn & Gandalf, then Legolas, Gimli, Boromir, Faramir . . . and well, just about everyone else!

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 09:43 PM   #5
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
In order of most favorite to least favorite

Merry and Pippin were way too good to resist. They added the much needed comic relief. They were my favorite character. Then Sam because he's not as funny as Merry and Pippin but he's not as serious as Frodo. He's really sweet in the movie too(Like the one scene where He and Frodo are in the field and when they're in the boat. My friend and I both think that he's sweet). Then Frodo. In the movie he's happy and you see him having a good time. I'm sure that he had some good time in the books too but it's so much more uplifting to see the serious ringbearer having FUN. Then Boromir. They fleshed his character in the movie too. He's kind of a jerk in the book but in the movie it gives him a reason to defend Merry and Pippin and not just because they're his companions but because he's friends with them too. Then Saruman all I can say is OOOOOOOOO *shivers*.
I liked Legolas and Gimli although they are'nt as in there as they are in the book, Gandalf was cool too. Now that I think about it the Wizards Duel was kind of funky(my friend calls Gandalf during that scene "Sarumans Big top") but not as funky as the Opera Viking Woman Galadriel scene or the Watcher in the Water scene. Those were plum scary.
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 10:10 PM   #6
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Sam Gamgee

Pippin. Definitely! He was GREAT.

I loved that accent!
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 10:47 PM   #7
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

Loved Pippin, Gandalf, Saruman, Galadriel (I didn't think she looked like a Viking opera singer!), Frodo, and Aragorn. Other major favorites were Sam, Arwen, Gollum, Boromir, Legolas...I could go on.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 11:11 PM   #8
AngieBaggins
Hobbit

Hi,
I'd have to say that my altime fave characters would go in the order of hobbits: Sam, Frodo, Pippin, Merry; Elves: Haldir, Legolas; and the only dwarf Gimli, then Gandalf and Elrond. For you movie people, Haldir is the one who says that Gimli was breathing so loud they could have shot him in the dark. Or was that in the book...no it was SAM in the book.....*ramble, ramble*

She looked over the hall way doors, and noticed him there. It was odd, for she had never met anyone like him. And she never expected she would again.
AngieBaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 01:59 AM   #9
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I can't really list a favorite character, because I loved all of them for different reasons. I did think I was going to cry at the demise of Gandalf, however, it was the fall of Boromir and his death scene with Aragorn which made my tears roll forth in greatest abundance.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 02:02 AM   #10
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

As for accents, I definitely have to agree with emplynx. Pippin's accent was fantastic. From his first memorable line, "It IS in the ground!", I was hooked. And he just kept gettign better and better. Way to go, Billy Boyd!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 01-07-2002, 07:32 AM   #11
garrfin
Sapling

Gimli

did knowone like boromir?hes a local lad from my region i thought he was well played by shaun bean.
Old 01-07-2002, 11:32 AM   #12
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I've said before, garrfin, that Bormir's death scene was the part which brought the most tears to my eyes every time.

Sean Bean did a fantastic job as Boromir. I had always thought Boromir to be a much heavier-built man, more brash, more muscular. But Sean Bean brought such subtle angst to the role, such depth of character and such passion, I feel now that Sean Bean will always BE Boromir in my mind.

The fellow did probably one of the best jobs in bringing his character to full life, in my humble Elven Warrior's opinion, and again his death scene with Aragorn rips my heart out every time.

He was also fantastic in the Sharpe's Rifles series, and I think he did just as fine a job in those as he did in Fellowship. I would love to see him nominated for the Best Supporting Actor Oscar, but I would also choose Ian McKellam, so I would be conflicted.
Old 01-07-2002, 02:12 PM   #13
KGamgee
Elven Warrior

Wow, its hard to pick; I loved all of them. But, I'd have to say Sam is my #1 guy. He's just as sweet in the movie, and I just loved him! (Sean Astin did a great job) Merry and Pippin were funny, they did well providing comic relief. Then how can I leave out Gimli and Legolas arguing? And Gandalf, he was amazing. Oh gosh, I forgot Frodo! I liked him better in the movie than the book, and he and Sam and PERFECT! Okay, but here are my top 5.

1. Sam
2. Frodo
3. Merry
4. Pippin
5. Gandalf

Okay, top 7

6. Legolas
7. Gimli

But then Aragorn!

He goes between Gandalf and Legolas.

The way I'm going, I might as well just name every character I can think of.
KGamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 04:29 PM   #14
aldesign
Elven Warrior

Gimli

Quote: 'samwise of the shire'
Watcher in the Water scene. Those were plum scary???????

WATCHER IN THE WATER??
i know in the book Gollum swam behind the boots down the Aunduin, and that was scary,
BUT THAT WASNT IN THE MOVIE?? unless u Americans had a different edit than us Brits?

Please help me!!!!!!!

My fav characters... hmmm
In the books
Gimli & Legolas's freindship is brilliant,
and gollum scares the hell outta me (so he's obviously doing his job right)
i Liked Glorfindel aswell, he is the original White Rider (but sadly dropped for the sake of Arwen in the Movie)
And dont forget Sams best mate....BILL the pony. yay!

In the Film
Boromir was a true Man, with flaws as we all have, but he was brave and coragous aswell.
Gimli stood out for me when he gave the line
"Let them come, there is still one Dwarf in Moria who draws blood!"

Thorin King Under the Mountain, Son of Tharin, Son of Thror
aka
aldesign
aka
andy
aldesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 04:51 PM   #15
Hapira_Brandybuck
Enting

my all-time favorite character is Sam sure he's not too bright but he's loyal and has a heart of gold (kinda like my boyfriend hee hee.... I didn't say that...) but Aragorn is a close second because he's noble and he is determined then Legolas because he's kinda cute (I refuse to get all ga ga over him because I've got nothing but love and respect for Tolkein and PJ) and he is very adaptable

'My dear Frodo!' exclaimed Gandalf. 'Hobbits really are amazing creatures, as I have said before. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you at a pinch.
Hapira_Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 05:44 PM   #16
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
WHAT!!!!

You had Gollum following the boats and WE had to have the Watcher In The Water trying to flavor it's water with Frodo. Who ever is in charge of that is gonna hear from a VERY miffed hobbit.
the very put out
Sam
ps. I LOVED Pippins accent. I liked his"They come in pints?" I also liked that funny look on Merrys face when he said"this my friend...is a pint". And then the look of amazment on Pippins face. Very funny.
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 05:54 PM   #17
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

I think everyone in the movie did an astounding job. From now on every time I read the book I'll end up picturing all these actors instead of made-up people in my mind.

Frodo will always be my favorite and Elijah Wood fit the role perfectly. Not to mention he's my favorite actor.

Gandalf made the second best impression. The moment he was clinging to the bridge and said, "Fly, you fools--" then dropped, and they showed Frodo screaming and Aragorn picking him up so he couldn't run....it made a tear stroll down my face.

Pippin came in third: he accent is adorable and he provided a much needed comic relief from the serious storyline.

Boromir is in fourth. At first, I didn't like him much (the attitude), but then the scene where he's teaching the Hobbits to fight made me like him. The 'encounter' with Frodo brushed that off, but then, when he fought for Merry and Pippin it just makes you forget everything bad he's done. His perseverance despite his pain was amazing and when his death came, I cried. He did die with honor and that's what makes it all the more heart-wrenching.

Aragorn, Legolas, & Gimli are all tied in fifth. I just can't say one of them is better than the other - it's impossible!
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 01:08 AM   #18
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

I must agree on Pippin's accent. Hilarious, and so cute!! I love the part where they're cooking food on weathertop and Pippin gets all miffed about the "ash in my tomatoes!"

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 03:09 PM   #19
spidersbane
Hobbit

I have to agree about seeing the characters as they were in the movie when I read the books now. I was pleasently suprised how close the way they were portrayed in the movie comes to how I pictured them before I saw it.
— Feanor, from the Quenta Silmarillion.

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" (Celtic Proverb)

"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't."
spidersbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 04:38 PM   #20
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Welcome to the Moot, spidersbane!

I have to disagree, the film characters appeared a lot differently than I had imagined them, but like someone else stated in a prior post, now when I read the books I will visualize a lot of the characters i nthe books as the actors from the film.