Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-16-2004, 01:12 AM   #61
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

I don't think he did since he is never mentioned as being a part of the White Council. Not to mention he was never mentioned in the book and so I don't see why he would be included in the film. Lastly the book, and hopefully the film, followed the journy of the 13 dwarves and Bilbo, not Gandalf. SO I don't see why it would even show his involvement in Dol-Guldur.

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen
Halbarad of the Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 02:47 AM   #62
The Nameless One
Hobbit

Thanks. Yeah I just thought it would be a good side journey to show on screen. I was mostly going by Tolkiens timeline and not strictly the book...I was trying to see how many things the director could do with this part in the timeline because there are other events that might be happening at the same time as the dwarves journey that are connected in some way to the characters. It wouldnt be steping out of Tolkien's histories and writings thats for sure. I think if I was watching the movie version of the hobbit, I would want to see what happens in southern Mirkwood because it would be really lame for gandalf to say he has business south and then show nothing.In the books its not as important to tell the readers, but in terms of film, most people watching would wonder why such a scene would be left out and just figure that they had to scrap it for time constraints. Besides, directors love to branch out and be creative. Plus it would be cool to see Christopher Lee play Saruman again and to see him before he revealed his evil tendencies
The Nameless One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 07:42 PM   #63
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Perhaps a scean like that would be okay but I still am pretty sure Radagast was not involved in the... Seige? of Dul-Guldur. I think perhaps it was elves of Elrond and Galadriel as lead by Gandalf and Saruman.

Old 08-28-2004, 02:59 PM   #64
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Well it was the White Council not just the Istari.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 06:14 PM   #65
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

The white council of Elrond, Galadriel, Gandalf, and Saruman, I don't remember Radagast being a part of the white council. I think perhaps he aided them considering he lived close to Dul Guldur, but I don't think he actually entered the tower or faught anyone...

Old 08-29-2004, 03:25 AM   #66
Telcontar_Dunedain

It ddn't say anthing about the siege all the detail we got is in CoE and when Bilbo briefly overhears Gandalf talking to Elrond.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Old 08-29-2004, 05:14 AM   #67
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Who else was in the white council though(too lazy to go 2 meters and get book) Was radagast a part of it because im not sure?

Old 08-29-2004, 08:09 AM   #68
Telcontar_Dunedain

Yeah I think he was. It was Gandalf, Saruman, Radagast, (The two blue Istari?), Celeborn, Galadriel (who summond (sp.) it) and Elrond. (I think!)

Old 08-29-2004, 04:28 PM   #69
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

The Blue wizards were not a prt of the white counsil because they were lost before it was ever formed. and i guessi gotta look in the UT to see who exactlly was in the White Council.

Old 08-29-2004, 04:33 PM   #70
Telcontar_Dunedain

I think it says in UT that they may have been in the White Council and it doesn't say that they were lost just there is no records of them.

Old 08-29-2004, 04:38 PM   #71
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Yeah I remember reading it in UT, and thats what i meant, not lost persay, just lost to records.

Old 09-11-2004, 05:09 PM   #72
The Nameless One
Hobbit

Well it looks like MGM is going to be up for grabs pretty soon(the company with the rights to the Hobbit).The highest price Ive heard so far is 5 billion to Sony. But Time Warner(owners of New Line) is offering a much higher price for MGM. So most likely we get to see the Hobbit in Im thinking 3 or 4 years....I hope. Peter said he was up for filming the Hobbit after King Kong so hopefully New Line gets the rights before King Kong comes out next Christmas(since negotiations take so long).
The Nameless One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 05:53 AM   #73
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Well even if Time Warner doesn't get the right PJ could still come back to direct the film for a new production company. I do prefer it to be New Line though. I wonder what is really being discussed in hollywood though? With the incredible success of Lord of the Rings there must be talk of Silmarillion stories, Hobbit!? I'd love to see the stories of the sil. on film, like Beren and Luthien. Awsome to see Morgoth!

Old 09-12-2004, 06:49 AM   #74
Telcontar_Dunedain

I think the Sil would be harder to do as a movie as it has mini tales. Mabe that would be better as a TV program.

Old 09-12-2004, 06:59 AM   #75
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

I don't think small screen would be good enough for such an important book. Silmarillion was Tolkiens most loved work. I think that several full length movies would be better. Not one full 20 hour movie about the entire book. For example, Comming to a theate this fall, from writer J.R.R. Tolkien, and acadamy award winning dirrector peter jackson comes, a story of love, intregue, and pure eviiiiiiiiil! Beren & Luthien: With a Vengance! This film is not yet rated. Haha. Anyhow. Several movies all about a different chapter or relateing chapters.

Old 09-12-2004, 07:00 AM   #76
Telcontar_Dunedain

Like a cinema sleep over!

Old 09-12-2004, 07:07 AM   #77
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Well Peter Jackson could be set for life to direct hobbit, and several Silmarillion Storied films....that'd be some nice job security.

Old 09-12-2004, 07:23 AM   #78
Telcontar_Dunedain

If he did the Sil he wouldn't be able to do anything else for years.

Old 09-12-2004, 07:34 AM   #79
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Thats my point nice job security, years and years of the same film! He would be set for life with the cash advances he would get! He is already made plenty off of Lord of the Rings! Im sure if something like this happened he would not take all of the films im just sayin...

Old 09-12-2004, 10:49 AM   #80
Telcontar_Dunedain

If he did that perhaps he could get carried away and do UT