Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-07-2001, 07:37 PM   #41
surjay
Sapling

Great!

The animated Hobbit is a great movie! Sure it's a simple movie, but I think it goes along well with the overall mood of the book.

It is by far the most accurate of any of these films, with only a few things left out due to time constraints. At least it didn't blatently change things like the other two movies mentioned in this thread.

It's a fun movie and I think it is enjoyable as such. I don't think it should be looked at for anything more then that.

The songs are great! I have them all downloaded.

"Fifteen birds...........in five fir trees!"
Old 11-10-2001, 01:05 AM   #42
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

:huggs surjay: thank you.......
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 10:13 AM   #43
Agburanar
Elf Lord

Youwhat? Where can I obtain this film? What is going on? When? How? I'm confused.

What company produced it? It's not Disney is it? Imagine: Disney's 'Short People' (based on 'the hobbit' by JRR tolkien). In comes Bilbo skipping happily and singing with the birds. Suddenly, in an explosion of pink blossoms Gandalf enters... yeuch!
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 01:41 PM   #44
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

My parents decided to get me the Rankin Bass lotr on video for christmas.

*SOB*

Hopefully the movie will be good in the cinema. I couldn't stand two awful viewings so close together.
Old 11-28-2001, 02:36 PM   #45
Agburanar
Elf Lord

oh dear. that's on my list too.
Old 01-20-2002, 02:37 PM   #46
Greg Ferlito
Sapling

Gimli

I've seen both The Hobbit and The lord of the rings animated verisons i thought the hobbit was great the animation was good and the songs spectacular the lord of the rings on the other hand was not so great i didn't like the animation as well as the hobbit the orcs and ringwraiths looked terrible however the blood made it a little better the same company that made the hobbit warner bros. i think made the Return of the King which i haven't seen nor have i seen it anywhere but i would like to
Greg Ferlito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 02:44 PM   #47
Greg Ferlito
Sapling

Gimli

Does anybody know where i can download the songs from the Hobbit? they're great!
Greg Ferlito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 05:29 AM   #48
Agburanar
Elf Lord

I thought the animated LotR was sooooooo much better than PJ's film version. Even though I thought the hobbits in the animated version were badly interpreted and Saruman's red robe was an interesting choice, the orcs and ringwraiths were much scarier and aalthough they cut more stuff out they didn't add in pointless pantomime bits (the collapsing stairs in moria [nobody chucks a dwarf???] for example)
Old 01-22-2002, 10:31 PM   #49
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

The Hobbit; LOTR; and ROTK

Of the Three animated movies, the Hobbit is the most accurate followed by LOTR and ROTK.

I have enjoyed all three films to varying degrees. Mainly since I enjoy animation. I did not like some of the "real" animation scenes in LOTR.
I enjoyed the songs in the Hobbit and ROTK.

The Hobbit and ROTK are by Rankin Bass and LOTR by Bashki. I think all three were distributed by Warner Bros.

The Tolkein Sarcasm Page helped me enjoy LOTR even more. LOTR was a good try and I would have liked to have seen the completion of LOTR. I think that the animated format is the best format for LOTR and the Hobbit.

Sincerely,
Anthony
:rollin
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 05:14 AM   #50
Agburanar
Elf Lord

There's an animated film of ROTK? I never heard of that one!
Old 01-23-2002, 11:38 PM   #51
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Here is some more info about ROTK from

http://us.imdb.com/

and a review from Kurt of Florida.

Return of the King, The (1980)(TV)
Directed by
Jules Bass
Arthur Rankin Jr.

Writing credits
J.R.R. Tolkien (novel)
Credited cast overview:
Orson Bean .... Frodo and Bilbo Baggins
Theodore Bikel .... Aragorn
William Conrad .... Denethor
John Huston .... Gandalf
Roddy McDowall .... Samwise Gamgee
Brother Theodore .... Gollum
Paul Frees .... Goblin, Elrond
Don Messick
John Stephenson (I)
Casey Kasem .... Meriadoc Brandybuck
Sonny Melendrez .... Peregrin (Pippin) Took
Nellie Bellflower .... Eowyn
Glenn Yarborough .... The Minstrel
Runtime: 98
Language: English

User Comments:

Kurt (takamoto84@hotmail.com)
Florida, USA

Date: 24 July 1999
Summary: More Than Just a Book-to-Movie

Some of you may have read my review of 'The Hobbit' on IMDB. If not, I suggest you do, as I think it brings up some things that should be realized.

Like it's prequel, this movie has been plagued by bad reviews by mainly Tolkien-fans who believe that it oversimplifies the story, and that it takes things away until it has transformed their much-loved story of the beginning of the age of man into a kids-movie with no more value than being such.

I strongly disagree. This movie is far from being a children's-film, though it is definitely enjoyed by many. As a child I watched it many, many times, until the point that the tape lost quality. And yet, after all those viewings, I didn't realize the important lessons it teaches.

This movie tells a lot of its lessons through song. These songs can mean different things
to different people, as all things in all movies do. The story, also, means different things
in different perspectives -- to some, the loyalty or realizations of Samwise might be familiar to their own personality, and they will see what he goes through as their lessons.

Others will see themselves as Frodo, having to go through a time of not only global(outter)-conflict, but inner as well, as they travel through that time and end up changed, and then have to move on past the troubled times they've triumphed over. Or it could be more complicated, those combined, or maybe also with the Ring becoming something they know.

There's a lot to be learned from this movie, however you look at it, so long as it's not
looked at with eyes that are searching only for the story from the book. If you watch it with an open mind, you'll learn something that will help you.

I don't go into as much detail as I did in my review of the Hobbit, as this movie's lessons
are much more broad, with there being more going on than in the prequel. It takes a mind looking for answers to see them in this movie, as everyone who looks at it with their different life-experiences and personality will interperet the songs and actions and deeds of characters differently.

This movie and its prequel are wonderful things to experience for people of any age.

Sincerely,
Anthony

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
Old 01-24-2002, 12:02 AM   #52
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Some info. about LOTR from http://us.imdb.com/

Lord of the Rings, The (1978)

Directed by
Ralph Bakshi

Cast overview, first billed only:
Christopher Guard .... Frodo Baggins
William Squire .... Gandalf
Michael Scholes .... Sam
John Hurt .... Aragorn
Simon Chandler .... Meriadoc
Dominic Guard .... Pippin
Norman Bird .... Bilbo Baggins
Michael Graham Cox .... Boromir
Anthony Daniels .... Legolas
David Buck .... Gimli
Peter Woodthorpe .... Gollum
Fraser Kerr .... Saruman
Phillip Stone .... King Theoden
Michael Deacon .... Wormtongue
André Morell .... Elrond

J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings (1978) (USA: complete title)
Runtime: 132
Language: English

Sincerely,
Anthony

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
Old 01-27-2002, 07:49 PM   #53
Legolas_BowKing
Banned

I am very glad i haven't seen these movies that you speek of.
Legolas_BowKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 09:57 PM   #54
Khadrane
Elf Lord

I thought the Hobbit movie was pretty good. But I got every single one of those idiotic songs stuck in my head for 2 weeks straight.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 08:55 PM   #55
Thrain
Enting

The Hobbit Cartoon was made by one company while Lord of the Rings which stops half way through is a different company. There is a Return of the King which is made by the company that made the Hobbit.
My opinion. There all total trash,
Later
Old 03-08-2002, 04:14 PM   #56
Thrain
Enting

The Hobbit and ROTK are made by the same company. The LOTR is made by aanother co. There all trash.2\
Old 03-19-2002, 11:57 PM   #57
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

If it hadn't been for the animated Hobbit, I might not have gotten into LotR. I saw it when I was probably 5 or 6 and kinda forgot about it until one day when I was wandering through the library and a book called to me from the shelf. I looked at it and it was The Hobbit. I didn't know what a hobbit was, but I vaguely remembered that it had a dragon in it and I liked dragons. So, long story short, I read it, loved it, read LotR, loved it, and here I am on Entmoot.

My only problem with animated Hobbit was some of the songs. I just didn't picture them bursting into song while getting kidnapped by goblins or anything like that. (Down, down to goblin town, anyone?) Which I guess they wrote songs about everything else (like baths), so why not sing about getting chased by goblins? I honestly didn't think it was that bad.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 08:20 PM   #58
Thrain
Enting

TRASH
Old 03-24-2002, 11:32 AM   #59
ekrenbrand
Sapling

Re: Great!

Quote:
Originally posted by surjay
The animated Hobbit is a great movie! Sure it's a simple movie, but I think it goes along well with the overall mood of the book.

It is by far the most accurate of any of these films, with only a few things left out due to time constraints. At least it didn't blatently change things like the other two movies mentioned in this thread.

It's a fun movie and I think it is enjoyable as such. I don't think it should be looked at for anything more then that.

The songs are great! I have them all downloaded.

"Fifteen birds...........in five fir trees!"

i have to agree with this person's entire post. i think it accomplished a lot and really gave the feeling that i thought master tolkien wanted to give in his book. I would also like to say that the songs although they remind me a lot of kenny g were very good and i enjoyed listening to them as a child

thanks
Old 03-24-2002, 05:50 PM   #60
Laughing Woman
Sapling

Sam Gamgee

Dear Hobbit friends,

thank you so much for encouraging me to look at the Hobbit movie as a child might look at it. I think that is the key to really understanding Tolkein, because while he did not write for Tolkein he wrote to awaken us to the child in all of us. We are to be like little children. We are to use our imaginations to go the worlds that we can only experience through our imaginations. I like to think that we live in more than one nation. The United States of America is our political nation, but the nation of our true selves is the imagi-nation. And even children are losing the ability to find ways to go to that nation.
May we all be citizens of our imaginations and may we all find ways to direct our fellow humans to explore that country as well. For to be truly human is to live in that wonderful nation. Thanks again.