Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-03-2003, 08:39 AM   #1
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Things you were happy NOT to see on the ROTK Trailer

While I love the new LOTR trailer, I'm also happy that New Line didn't present us with a trailer that spoiled some of the wonderful scenes we'll be treated to in ROTK like they unfortunately did with Gandalf's dramatic reappearance in TTT.

In particular, I'm glad they gave us virtually nothing to visualize from Sam and Frodo's journey inside of Mordor or the piggyback ride up Mount Doom. I'm also delighted that while we saw Dernhelm, we didn't see Dernhelm's confrontation with the Witchking.

What were you relieved NOT to see on the trailer?

Last edited by Black Breathalizer : 10-03-2003 at 08:40 AM.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 12:57 PM   #2
Sween
im quite stupid

I was happy not to see the full reveling of the witch king, The black gate opening, The Eagals, the fall of Bar dur and the grey havens
Old 10-03-2003, 06:03 PM   #3
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Giving us a glimpse of the royal wedding would have been incredibly dumb (but so was showing us Gandalf in the TTT trailer) but it still wouldn't have surprised me to see it.

I was a little surprised that we didn't see a single shot of Pippin and the palantir though.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:18 PM   #4
Elf Girl
Lurker

Maybe he's cutting Pippin and the palantir.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 06:24 PM   #5
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl
Maybe he's cutting Pippin and the palantir.
Nope, I don't think so. Otherwise, they wouldn't have shown the clip on the DVD Preview where Merry tells Pippen that the Dark Lord thinks he's got the ring.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:28 PM   #6
Elf Girl
Lurker

Sarcasm, BB. Sarcasm.
Old 10-03-2003, 07:23 PM   #7
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl
Sarcasm, BB. Sarcasm.
'fraid I'm not familiar with that term, Elf Girl. I'm too much of a boy scout, I guess.
Old 10-03-2003, 07:53 PM   #8
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

I'm glad they didn't show anything more than just the entrance to the Paths of the Dead. I'm practically obsessed with the Paths of the Dead as it's my favorite part and I can't wait to see it, even thought they are cutting the Dúnedain out of it and Elrond's sons
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 08:00 PM   #9
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

I was a little surprised we didn't see one of the Corsairs' ships.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:48 AM   #10
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Um... the destruction of the Ring.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 01:34 PM   #11
Elenna Alaniel
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
I was a little surprised we didn't see one of the Corsairs' ships.
maybe it's becouse they woun't be in the movie at all
Old 10-06-2003, 02:35 PM   #12
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Nah, the whole Palantir thing is just far too cool a plot device to discard. Why give everything away in the trailer? Aragorn will take control of the Palantir and see the fleet coming. He's got to have some reason to take off into a hole in the ground instead of heading to Minas Tirith with Gandalf! What I do wonder is whether they'll keep the Army of the Dead or not.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 03:12 PM   #13
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Quote:
maybe it's becouse [the Corsairs] woun't be in the movie at all
Quote:
What I do wonder is whether they'll keep the Army of the Dead or not.
They are. Behind-the-scenes reports from production three years ago indicated that they built some pretty grand models and designs for the Corsairs, as well as the Dead.

Without those two elements, there wouldn't any point to Aragorn taking the Paths and flanking the Pelennor in the first place!
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 03:57 PM   #14
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gaffer
Nah, the whole Palantir thing is just far too cool a plot device to discard.
As I mentioned before: Sarcasm. Sarcasm.
Old 10-07-2003, 04:01 PM   #15
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
They are. Behind-the-scenes reports from production three years ago indicated that they built some pretty grand models and designs for the Corsairs, as well as the Dead.

Without those two elements, there wouldn't any point to Aragorn taking the Paths and flanking the Pelennor in the first place!

Oh man the Army of the Dead will be so kickass!! I so can't wait

*sorry I get giddy like a little schoolgirl when I talk about Paths of the Dead*
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 10-07-2003, 06:27 PM   #16
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain

*sorry I get giddy like a little schoolgirl when I talk about Paths of the Dead*
don't we all?

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 04:10 AM   #17
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
Woo hoo!

And will Gimli need a change of underwear when they get to Pelargir? That's something I'm glad they left out of the trailer.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 07:28 AM   #18
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
Oh man the Army of the Dead will be so kickass!! I so can't wait
Considering Peter Jackson's 'zombie film' roots, you just know it was one of his favorite parts to visualize. It should be something special to see.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:23 PM   #19
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Considering Peter Jackson's 'zombie film' roots, you just know it was one of his favorite parts to visualize. It should be something special to see.
That and the way the dead people looked in the Dead Marshes! Imagine them as soldiers!!

--Linaewen
Old 10-09-2003, 01:46 PM   #20
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Re: Things you were happy NOT to see on the ROTK Trailer

Quote:
In particular, I'm glad they gave us virtually nothing to visualize from Sam and Frodo's journey inside of Mordor or the piggyback ride up Mount Doom. I'm also delighted that while we saw Dernhelm, we didn't see Dernhelm's confrontation with the Witchking.
You saw Dernhelm?!?!?! I haven't watched that preview- only the one on the DVD, and from that I got the impression that there was not going to be any Dernhelm. I am sooooooo glad that Dernhelm's gonna be in there though!!
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote