Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-01-2001, 03:07 AM   #1
Ace
Hobbit

Gandalf LOTR Movie=ignorant fans?

I've been mildy concerned about this for some tmie now. After the movies come out, there is obviously going to be an explosion of people who are into LOTR. What I'm saying is, before the movie, you could meet someone at a party and talk about LOTR and more or less be on the same page.
But after the movie, you could meet someone who says they love LOTR and has never even heard of Tom Bombadil?
I'm just saying I enjoy having deep and intelligent conversations about the LOTR. There's going to be alot of LOTR posers after the movie comes out.

"Well if the choice be mine, I say, we march!"
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 06:37 AM   #2
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Welcome to the Entmoot, Ace! i hope yu'll find here what your looking for. we have discussed this topic a number of times; perhaps you'll like to read some of the threads in the LOTR Movies forum.
Old 12-01-2001, 10:40 AM   #3
Elrond
Sapling

Good point

I agree with you whole-heartedly, one of my favourite characters is Tom Bombadil. And you can not be a Lord of the Rings fan if you do not know who he is.

Another thing to worry you is when the games and figures are out some people will just pick who ever looks coolest as their favourite character. or whoever looks like the best fighter.(won't be a lot of Hobbit fans)

You must pass an aptitude test to see the movie.
Elrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 10:56 AM   #4
garrfin
Sapling

Whos out?

who isnt in the film?not that it really bothers me but who have they missed out?is Glorfindel in it?
garrfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 11:33 AM   #5
Bacchus
Elven Warrior

Perhaps there will indeed be LOTR 'posers' as you say. But perhaps there will also be large numbers of new readers following the movies, and thus new people to discuss with at parties.

Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 12:46 PM   #6
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Glorfindel is not in the Flight to the Ford, he isn't even in any of the movie.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 12:55 PM   #7
Darth Tater
The man

CBG, that's not true. According to TORN and the New Line casting info, his character is in there, probably at the Council of Elrond and I'd assume also in the prologue.
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 03:10 PM   #8
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Why would Glorfindel be in the Prologue, he came in the Third age. *Suddenly Reminded about Arwen* sigh, never mind.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 10:43 PM   #9
Elrond
Sapling

But he fought in the war of the elves and Sauron did he not?
Elrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 04:29 PM   #10
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Hes he did... he 'fought' the witch king.

well... ok, he scared him off.

I'm really hoping that Arwen merely accompanies him to the ford. But hey, I'm a purist.
Old 12-02-2001, 04:32 PM   #11
Gwaihir
Sapling

No he is not going to be with her at the ford it says so at theonering.com also in the trailer she is the only one there
Gwaihir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 04:34 PM   #12
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

[Edited: Please refrain from that kind of profanity. Young people post at these boards.]

[Edit: As you can tell... I'm not to happy about this development.]

Last edited by Wayfarer : 12-02-2001 at 04:37 PM.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 11:35 PM   #13
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Glorfindel will not be at the Fords of Bruinen.

Watch all the trailers again, look at all the promotional materials, and look at every little scrap of every little thing we've seen in the film so far. Maybe one of the early reviews will confirm it further if you're still not convinced - I haven't read them all yet, since I still want to be somewhat surprised by Jackson's interpretation of the novel, but you can see for yourself.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 11:55 AM   #14
fireworks19
Elven Warrior

I might have mentioned this, but.

Recall. The Crow? How many huge fans of the movies know there were really depressing comics BEFORE? I expect history to repeat itself in the case of LOTR.
Old 12-03-2001, 04:51 PM   #15
sracer
Hobbit

Nazgul

One thing that seems to happen when something is brought into the mainstream...whether it be the Internet, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Anime, or Lord of the Rings... those people who where were "into it" before it went mainstream look down upon those who "just came to the party".

It's just human nature.

Even for those newcomers who read the books after watching the film, they'll be looked upon as 2nd class fans. Old diehards will reminsce about "the good old days" of sitting in dimly lit coffee shops reading the trilogy during their college days...and complain how easy it is for these young upstarts now that LOTR have moved into the mainstream's consciousness.

With these films, LOTR may very well move into the mainstream consciousness, and become larger influence on pop culture. I'm glad that Tolkien's works will finally get the recognition they deserve...and shove Harry Potter and Star Wars back (if only temporarily) to a dusty corner.

On a side note, I've read the trilogy a few times, and taken a few college courses on it. I have yet to see where the character of Tom Bombadil has any great significance to the story, or Middle Earth. Certainly not enough to justify the furor there's been at his omission from the films.
sracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 05:09 PM   #16
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

I, personally, am looking forward to seeing more people get into Tolkien. I know a few people that I never would have suspected even knew of hte books, acting almost like us hard core fanatics lately.

Just think of this as an opporotunity to indoctrinate tolkien newbies in the way of purism.
Old 12-03-2001, 05:53 PM   #17
Bregalad, Ent of Fangorn
Sapling

Ha ha ha ha

I find the last 2 comment's to perfectly reflect what I would have said. Though I do think that personally I have more respect for people who read the book's, then ones who just saw the movie, because in a book you are capable of thinking of thing's your way, while in the movie you are given what's on the screen and that is it.
Bregalad, Ent of Fangorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 09:26 PM   #18
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

CBG, Glorfindel actually came during the Second Age, in the Year of Dread.
Old 12-04-2001, 09:50 AM   #19
Agburanar
Elf Lord

GLORFINDEL IS NOT IN THE FILM. He is not a character available in the Lotr (fellowship of the ring) wargame for this reason. I am upset.
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 10:44 AM   #20
Miríel
Hobbit

I think the ones reading lotr after having seen the movie would always be 2. class fans.
I red lotr in may, but then i hadn't even heard of the movie!!
And why isn't Glorfindel with Arwen, why is Arwen there at all? ?
I think Arwen is getting too much attention!!
Miríel is offline   Reply With Quote