Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The One Ring Musical
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-11-2002, 08:43 PM   #1
Dolenloteiel
I elenfea

Location: Somewhere in the chaos between the first and second ages! (Actually, CO)
Nazgul Corny

I read a little bit of the script, and I personally thought it was a little corny. The lyrics to the songs were pretty good, but I think they sort of made it into a soap opera. Does anyone else feel this way??
Ask me anything
"I have not failed, I've only found 10,000 ways that won't work."
-Thomas Edison
Visit Tolkien RP Site! Need members, RP all three Ages! (UNDER CONSTRUCTION) http://elvellon.suddenlaunch2.com
"Yay, I can hear the voices in my head again!
Dolenloteiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 01:42 AM   #2
hama1
Elven Warrior

Dolen...

Thank you for the critique. On of my hopes in having the script on line was that people would off their opinions. What parts or how did you feel it was "corny". I am also intrigued by your "soap opera" comment....How so?

Hama
hama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 03:25 PM   #3
Dolenloteiel
I elenfea

Location: Somewhere in the chaos between the first and second ages! (Actually, CO)
I didn't really get past the first few scenes, but I guess the way I interpreted it was corny. It's just...I don't know...when I'm reading it, I'm thinking, OMG this is soo corny. Sorry if I'm not being specicfic.
Ask me anything
-Thomas Edison
Visit Tolkien RP Site! Need members, RP all three Ages! (UNDER CONSTRUCTION) http://elvellon.suddenlaunch2.com
Old 10-13-2002, 12:55 AM   #4
hama1
Elven Warrior

Well I am not exactly sure how to respond to that. Like you I am curious if others feel the same way. However, so far most people have actually liked the script and the lyrics. Also, no play or musical is meant to be "read" and hopefully sounds better when heard as the spoken word. Of course I could be wrong and it actually is corny. Thank you for taking the time to read even some of my work. I appreciate that very much.
Old 10-13-2002, 02:26 PM   #5
Dolenloteiel
I elenfea

ya, you do make an excellent point, and I don't think I can argue with it. Lord of the Rings is a play of action and emotions, and I suppose when you read it aloud with feeling and emotion in the words, then I suppose it isn't corny.
Ask me anything
-Thomas Edison
Old 10-16-2002, 08:02 AM   #6
Agburanar
Elf Lord

Some of Tolkien's songs were verging on the corny side, OK, a lot on the corny side. I have yet to find a musical that didn't have at least one corny moment because, let's face it, walking around singing random stuff is not an everyday occurence is it?

ROLLING STOCK, WE'RE ROLLING STOCK!!
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 09:10 PM   #7
hama1
Elven Warrior

Not unless you live in Greenwich Village. LOL...Two snaps up and a circle! (You may have to be almost as old as me to get that reference.)
Old 03-25-2003, 09:54 PM   #8
Fëannel
Sapling

Re: Corny

o, yeh
they tried making it into an animated movie, and they failed. well, sum1 did. that was the weirdest thing i ever saw -- but it was so funny! the hobbits were soooo corny, n Boromir looked like a freakin Viking
they needed blue screens n visual efects n everything for the movie, how r they gonna do it on stage? n TLotR as a soap opera? ugh
Old 03-27-2003, 01:48 AM   #9
hama1
Elven Warrior

Feanel'

I have read Lotr a number of times...actually countless times. I never required a blue screen or computer generated images to bring the story to life.

Perhaps you could imagine Tolkien himself, alone on stage, reading passages from his great work. My guess is that would enthrall most true fans. Now imagine if you will, actors and actresses speaking other lines or acting out other scenes. Now let your imagination run wild and consider a set piece here and a lighting effect there.

The possibilities are endless.