Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

The sun was high overhead by the time Radagast asked if the company was ready to depart. Tabrîl, some distance from him, had been sitting on the ground, watching the others with an air of disinterest. At his question, however, she got up, and after Aelfwine and Aerin had answered, she raised an arm and called over to the wizard:

'Ready!'

Aikanáro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Nami stood up and shouldered her pack back, "All ready i guess." Nami wondered closer to the gathering group, "Onwards to who knows what!"
feawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:47 AM   #3
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Aelfwine laughed at Magor's comment. She saw Aerin's smile and smiled herself. She was glad to see the Elf sport a smile for once instead of the sad expression she'd worn since Quickleaf's death.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:51 PM   #4
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Her spirits were so lifted at the thought of moving forward toward their goal that Aerin leapt upon Glaeren with the agility that is attributed only to Elvenkind. As she held the horse in check, she looked around at all those who were still saddling up or mounting and began galloping Glaeren around them in impatience. Magor, who watched Aerin for a few minutes from atop his horse, finally fell into step with her and caught her reins. "Whoa! I've never seen such silly behavior from an elf!" He scolded smilingly. "Your horse will thank you for not using up all her good energy on a day when we've got to march many miles and the sun's only just up!"

He looked around furtively. "All right, old girl. Just once. I'll race you to the edge of that grove over there! We go back to the group when I've won!" And they both took off; the wind blew in their faces.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:53 PM   #5
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Tabrîl looked on in puzzlement as Aerin and Magor galloped away from them. Some were more eager than others, she thought, and shrugged. The elf who had come out of Dol Guldur and her companion had yet to do any harm, and her early wariness of them was greatly diminished.

She began to walk, careful to keep out of the way of those who were mounted. Several times she glanced over her shoulder, as if searching the horizon of the plains that lay behind them expectantly. For Tabrîl was expecting something, at least if promises were to be trusted.

She had only gone a little way before she spotted it. A sturdy, dapple-grey mare making its way towards them, across the plains. Tabrîl stopped and waited until the horse reached her side, and then smiled to herself, running her fingers over the woven blanket on its back.

It - she, Tabrîl corrected herself, and she would need a name soon enough - was a fine horse, and likely hardy enough to be suited to a journey such as this. Tabrîl muttered some few words of Kindi dialect to the horse, and then patted her gently. A few of the others were looking at her by this point, but she offered no explanation, only swung herself up atop the horse, and rode towards the front of the group, wanting to see what lay ahead.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:57 AM   #6
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Nami mounted for own horse, patting its neck as she settled into a comfortable postion. Turning, she cast one last look behind her, the distent river they had once traveled on, glisted slightly in the sun. She sighed and turned her eyes back to the path ahead of her. Nami took a postion next to Branwyn's side. Nami felt a little at a loss as the company made ready to move on. On previous long rides she had often found her self in the company of Ellysa, Aelfwine and Quickleaf. But lately she had seen little of Ellysa, and Quickleaf had been lost.
"I think it will be good to start traveling again." Nami commented, glancing towards Branwyn.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:06 PM   #7
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

"Most certainly," Branwyn replied. "I am somewhat sorry to see the Celebration end already, it has been a very interesting event, but the Entwives are not going to find themselves! Although I reckon it was the last bit of civilisation we are going to see for a while. The Iron Hills are said to be rather lonely."

Looking back to the last few people yet to mount, and Haldis' mules who always took up the rear, Branwyn spotted Tabrîl with a horse he hadn't seen before. Having travelled with this group for so long, he had gotten to know all the horses and mules, at the least by sight. He couldn't recall seeing the grey mare before.

"Say," he said to Nami, "do you know where Tabrîl managed to get a horse?"
Old 11-25-2009, 06:18 PM   #8
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Nami turned in her saddle to see what Branwyn was looking at. It was true, Nami had not seen this horse before. "I have taken the option not to be suprised by anything this group does anymore and nor do i think that if you ask Tabril where the horse came from that she will give you an answer that you would like."
Nami watched Aerin and Magor gallop off away from the group and then back in the direction they were to travel, remembering something Branwyn had just sad. "We are heading in the wrong direction for the Mountain to be the Lonely one, although i think spirits will not be as high as they are today when we reach the iron hills."
Old 12-15-2009, 11:23 AM   #9
Midge
Faithful Gardener

When Magor heard Aelfwine's question, he was surprised. He knew she was young, but as far as they'd come in this journey, she'd been very good at disguising it, her youth reminding her more of an elf's than a human's at times. After Radagast answered her, Magor called out, "Aelf! Come sit beside us and we'll make good company!" He hoped to reassure her of their way and keep her from continuing to worry.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Blossomshade sauntered around and watched the company as they camped and talked. She chuckled at how sprawled out they were, with tents on the left and a make-shift stable to the right and the entire camp looking a bit more like a small tribal village. She was glad to be assisting in a cause so dear to her heart and in her excitement she felt the ent-fire building inside her middle and spreading outward. She let out a feminine "Hoom!" for the pure enjoyment of it. She had no inclination to stop her walking, so she kept right on, while keeping an ear out for the important conversation which held the attention of the whole Company.

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Last edited by Midge : 12-15-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:54 AM   #10
Earniel

"Oh dear," Radagast said as Tabrîl put down her plate before darting off, while Abasi followed close behind. "I seem to have done it again."

"Blossomshade," he turned to the Entwife that apparently still had more than enough energy to keep walking circles around the camp. "Seeing you're already on your feet, would you mind taking Tabrîl's plate to her? I don't think she was finished eating yet. And please tell her I'll come over to speak with her later."

"You are quite right, Nami," the wizard said in reply to the Elf's question. "We musn't forget the guardian. We know even less about her than about the location of the Entwives' emprisonment. We will have to be vigilant from here on, but in this thing at least, I think I can set your mind at ease: I very much doubt it will be creature from the First Age. There were not many left in the Second Age, and I do not believe those few remaining now will have such power at their disposal as they wielded in the early Years of the Sun."

"It is possible, yes perhaps, that this guardian's strength lies in keeping the Entwives prisoner, and not in brute force. But in the event that she proves too strong for us, we shall withdraw and seek help elsewhere."
Old 12-16-2009, 11:55 AM   #11
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Munching on a bah-nah-nah, Quickleaf followed suit after Aladji who led him away from the dhow and the peer and into the city, amongst the criss-crossing labyrinth of narrow streets.

As they hurried along they were joined by more and more Dorwinians and the odd horse-carriage, donkeys and camels. The white, limestone houses of Dorwinion seemed to grow in height and complexity the deeper into the city they came, the rooftops changing from wooden planks to peachy-red tiles, and down on the sidewalks the seaside bazaars, shops and smaller Inn's gradually melted into bancas, exchanges, shipping enterprises and houses of law.

- "Behold!" Aladji suddenly annouced, halting and pointing to a handsome Inn on their left side. Quickleaf nearly stumbled over, but re-gained his balance and looked at the sign above them. It read 'Kaffa-dinka Dorwinion'.
- "A Kaff-aigh Quickleaf! Have you ever tasted kaffa? Highly stimulating... a cup of it may produce great alertness! I always drink some before I sell at the Market, or if a arduous journey lies ahead of me."
- "I can't say I have Aladji. What is it?"
- "The kaffa-beans grow on plants. In Dorwinion we grow it in our lusher gardens on the Eastern flank of the River, northeast of the bay, but they also come from across the Sea. We shall have a cup after prayers, and you shall see, it is quite good. Served hot!"

Quickleaf had a second or two to muse over that fact. Certainly it reminded him of tea, but he had no more time to ask questions as Aladji hurried on and now they turned eastwards again. Soon they had crossed Dorwinion in a long, winding eclipse, ending up on the southeastern part of the city that touched upon the blue Sea of Rhûn.

Aladji and Quickleaf were sort of spat out from the myriad of streets that Dorwinion boasted and ended up in a large square tiled with massive marble blocks. The square was quite oval in shape and the buildings on each side curved and met at the western and eastern end. On the eastern end however, just before the seaside promenade touched upon the Sea, stood a building quite unique to anything else Quickleaf had yet seen. A magnificent dome stood majestically in front of them, towering high into the clear morning air. On its rooftop a thin sheath of gold glittered in the sun, and below it pure white marble made its walls. On the lowest level tall stone pillars painted red surrounded the outer section of the dome.

Quickleaf surveyed the House of Prayer, slightly in awe, for even the White City of Minas Tirith would have been proud to host such a building.
- "It is perfectly circular, representing unity beneath the Sun." Aladji whispered, "Now let us enter inside and give our prayers Kviggliff."

Last edited by Coffeehouse : 12-16-2009 at 12:00 PM.
Coffeehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:16 PM   #12
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Haldis frowned. She had been mulling over the news of the shadow creatures since they had left the Ultai and between that and driving the mules, had not desired to say anything beyond the usual exchanges of small talk for some days.

But a now a thought had occurred to her, and it felt like it might be an important thought, so she spoke it, "I have not been able to forget the shadow creatures. If they arrived in the Iron Hills and stayed, I think they might help us, or at least not hinder us, if we act properly. They did us no harm when we released them at Dol Guldur, but just before that I had seen one. It was not pleased by the fighting within the group."
She paused, then turned to Radagast, "Why do you say the Guardian, if it is still there, whatever it may be, is a she?"
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:56 AM   #13
Earniel

"You have seen one of those creatures before we accidentally released them in Dol Guldur?" Radagast was visibly surprised.

"And it didn't react well to the fight between Quickleaf and Abasi, you say? Curious, most curious. Has that one creature been waiting all that time for someone like us to come by and release its kindred? Or were they even imprisoned at all?

The wizard stroked his beard in deep thought, almost not hearing Haldis' question.

"Hm? Oh yes, I've been calling the Guardian a 'she' since that is how the orcs described her. I know orcs aren't the most reliable of sources, but I think they can be trusted in telling differences in gender at least."

He rummaged through his pack.

"Here, let me just re-read that passage from the orc-report out loud... The guardian you have appointed is way-ward but she turns docile at the mention of the fate of her little ‘pets’, she will do as you command, my lord, and lock her prisoners away for all of eternity.”"

Radagast blinked. "Oh." was all he said.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:20 AM   #14
Midge
Faithful Gardener

At Radagast's "oh", Magor and Aerin both had the same thought. Glancing at each other, they both knew they both had the same thought. And then both of them wondered how many other members of the company had the same thought.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:16 PM   #15
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Nami shivered "Pets? i never liked the sound of that. I hope its not squirrals. Them little things are evil i tell you." Nami looked around the group, slowly a look of realisation crossed her face. "Ohhh...pets...thats not good is it?"
Old 12-18-2009, 04:58 PM   #16
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

"I did tell you when I saw it," Haldis reminded the wizard. "You were preoccupied. But anyway, it seems those creatures - they did not look like squirrels, Nami, they were sleeker - and the guardian are linked. Perhaps with them free, she will have left on her own, no longer compelled to guard. This may be a good thing."
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:55 AM   #17
Earniel

Radagast didn't dispute Haldis' comment, he very probably had been preoccupied when she had told him earlier. Back then these shadowy creatures had only been a puzzling, but rather trivial event, now they seemed to have become a theme throughout the quest.

"It may be a good thing," Radagast agreed. "If these so-called 'pets' have reached the Guardian - and they certainly seem to know which way to go - it is definitely possible that the hold Sauron had on the Guardian is gone."

"However," Radagast continued thoughtfully, "I am mindful of Teye's vision. In one image she saw us entering a large, pillared hall. She described a strange whispering draft around us. She felt this would be a turning point in our quest. Now, In Dol Guldur the released creatures were accompanied with an unusual wind. Which means that, if Teye's vision is true, we may yet encounter those creatures ere the end."
Old 12-21-2009, 12:12 PM   #18
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Blossomshade had noticed the she-elf flee the group and wondered what had happened. When Radagast asked her to bring her unfinished plate to her, Blossomshade gladly picked it up and took it to her.

When she arrived, Tabril was just sitting there with a determined look on her face. Blossomshade handed her the plate. "Radagast thought you would like to finish your dinner. May I ask what was so offensive? Radagast was just telling the group what signs to look for when searching for the Entwives and how to know when we're getting close."

Old 12-21-2009, 02:46 PM   #19
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Tabrîl took the offered plate from Blossomshade and looked up at her, shaking her head slightly in puzzlement. The Entwife had clearly misunderstood.

'Offensive?' Tabrîl echoed. 'The seth'enati Radagast has said nothing that offends.' It was a statement so obvious that she had to think for a moment, trying to determine why Blossomshade suspected this had been the case.

'You question why I left,' she said finally, in a low voice. 'I am only m'had'i - only a warrior, understand, and the seth'enati intended to speak of the sacred writings that were found in Dol Guldur. Such a thing I am not permitted to hear.' She frowned slightly. 'It would have been impolite for to me to ask that he not speak of it. So I left,' she explained, expecting Blossomshade to follow what was to her an impeccably logical train of thought.

'But you must convey to him my gratitude,' she said then, looking back at her plate of food, 'for this. It is-' she frowned again, searching for the right word, '-considerate of him, to think of me. It was not necessary. He is very kind.' This last was said almost brightly, with Tabrîl's genuine appreciation - and surprise - showing through.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:55 PM   #20
Midge
Faithful Gardener

"I most certainly will let him know you're thankful." Blossomshade said as she bent ever so slightly in an Entish gesture of intimacy. "However, I do think you might ask him to tell you what he told the group. You are quite a good warrior and scout and this will be something you'll need to know because you are very likely to come across something important first. I'm sure that he will be more than happy to tell you what you need without revealing any ... was it Mysteries? Enjoy your dinner." With an Entwifish smile, Blossomshade unbent and walked back toward the campfire.