Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-12-2000, 12:02 AM   #1
bmilder

Welcome

Ok, bowing to popular demand, we have created an RPG forum here at Entmoot. If you want to do an RPG, please feel free to start your own or join an existing one. Just try to keep the name of your RPG in each thread about it, so there's no confusion.
Old 09-12-2000, 02:42 AM   #2
Shanamir Duntak

Re: Welcome

Maybe if we start just One Rpg at the time, it would be better don't you think??? I don't think we'll be enough player to do more in the beginning, but I may be wrong...

By the way, there's no posting icons in that new forum???
Old 09-12-2000, 05:02 PM   #3
Gilthalion

I could try to participate, but I'm doing two now, and writing a book over on my board! (Plus the readings, the recordings, the talkshow, fooling with the other forums on this board...

I can't think of starting and running an RPG till after the end of the year. If I do one here, I'll try to have maps and sound and such to link to.

Bullroarer actually has a scheme on his RPG and I'm enjoying that. Elbreth's is more free flowing, with more improvisation.

I'd like to attempt something in a few months that's a little more exacting. (Though not as elaborate as the realtime set up I envisioned elsewhere.) This would be an auxilliary website that could run in another browser window. The game is conducted on the thread, maps and descriptions, and dice rolls are on the site.

Is there a CGI that could generate HTML to simulate a random dice throw? (I hardly know what I'm talking about. I'd just like to see an element of chance thrown in.)

This too, may be too elaborate.

It may be that links to pictures and sounds in the RPG thread would be sufficient.

Perhaps when the thread comes to a point of action, a moderator can step in, decide the odds of carrying out the action, and post the roll of the dice, and thus determine the outcome of the action. Players would rely on the moderators observing the honor system.

Being disatisfied with the Gary Gygax style of elaborate gaming (requiring the purchase of many many things.) I ran a game based upon seat-of-the-pants decisions on the average difficulty of an event. The player's characteristics modified this number up or down, the die were cast, and the game went forward.

EXAMPLE:

Ranger: I will shoot the fly through both eyes when he reaches the top of that tree.

Moderator: This is a long shot. 99% (Always leave 'em a chance!) You have +10 with the Elven bow and +5 for your archery, so you must get at least an 84% (rolls two 10 sided dice) 87! The fly shrieks in agony as it falls from the tree.

Just thinking "out loud"...
Old 09-13-2000, 01:57 AM   #4
Sauganast

I will jooin too, although i am already partaking in about 4 or 5 rpg's now, 1 which i did happen to start. But yeah, these are the greatest, so I am definetly in.
Old 09-13-2000, 02:21 AM   #5
Shanamir Duntak

I'll be in, but I'll most probably be able to do so only tomorrow..., don't start without me!