Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-16-2001, 05:36 PM   #1
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

Harry Potter VS FOTR

I have a feeling this thred has aslready been posted-but I want to say something!

Harry Potter has just come out to the theatres today. My friend said (this is the censored version btw) "By the time FOTR comes out,half the *beep* population won't even remeber that Tolkien excisted." I have to sort of agree, but my mom said they're still will be die hard Professeur Tolkien fans going to see the movie because LOTR has been around for a lot longer the Harry Potter. (Try 60-70 years longer!!I'm not sure though...)

Well I've said my piece. You can yell and get mad..................... But I thought you people would like to hear my opinion
Old 11-16-2001, 05:42 PM   #2
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

iid' say soomnthing ssrcastic,, vut i cant type when i'm layghing this harrd
Old 11-16-2001, 06:26 PM   #3
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

What? Professor who?

Of course there will be silly insults from petty and arrogant Harry Potter fans such as your friend Arden Even star and the same can be said for some Lord of the Ring fans, the dispute is very silly and unnecessary for two of the most popular books at this moment of time. I myself get into arguments with Harry Potter fans, I ignore it, use my rude, sarcastic 'I don't care' statements or defend my book passionately, there’s no other real way around it with me.

Quote:
"By the time FOTR comes out, half the *beep* population won't even remember that Tolkien existed."
Lord of the Rings and Tolkien has been popular before, during and after the current Harry Popular frenzy, it will be a long time until it reaches 'Half the Population won't know about it' status, by the time the movie is released, the population will most definitely be aware of the Fellowship of the Ring, New Line Cinema is going to go all out with this movie, even bigger than any movie before with any film company, not to mention the media will be just as excited than they are about the Harry Potter Movie.

I've never read Harry Potter, I probably never will despite how popular it is, in my own opinion Lord of the Rings is possibly more better, I don't know J.K Rowlings intentions for her books, she might create her own 'Mythology' like Tolkien has done.

Lord of the rings is recognised as possibly the greatest work of literacy of all time by the general public but the general public sees Harry Potter as a fad.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 10:06 PM   #4
Darth Tater
The man

Must... resist... closing... thread...
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 03:01 AM   #5
surjay
Sapling

umm..

Harry Potter, just looks like cheezy childish fantasy to me, not that anything is wrong with it, but it just rubs me the wrong way to hear it described as an epic, and so influential, etc. I've no problem with good child literature, but I don't see how this compares to LOTR at all. Not to mention nearly every theme, plot devise, 3/4's of the actions in HP all come directly from LOTR. Pick anything out of HP, and I bet you can find it in LOTR in some manner or fashion, only done better.

I've nothign against HP, and it looks mildly entertaining, but it's not the type of movie i'd pay to see in the theater.....it's potential renting material I suppose though.

Nearly everyone I've spoken to that has the same tastes as me who've seen HP, are pretty dissapointed with it. Way too long for what was delivered. Was drawn out, and not all the exciting. I haven't seen it, but this is all I've heard. Not that it was a BAD movie, just that it's far from living up to the hype. Only the die hard HP fans who want to hype it up are claiming it's anything better then a good movie for kids, but nothing more special then anything else out there. It will do huge this weekend and this week, but we'll see how much longevity it has. Kids usually aren't die hard repeat viewers, so the return there is not going to be too large. Grown-ups who don't want to sit through 3 more hours of it, aren't going to take them back anyway. I don't see too many teenage, early 20's people going to it that much either. I'm currently in college and i have yet to speak to one single person at my college who was even remotely interested in going to see HP. I know there are plenty of people out there in my age range who do, but I haven't met any personally. On the contrary, there is a huge mass of people i know planning to hit up the first showing of LOTR. And me and my friends will keep going. We're the people who go to Star Wars 20+ times while it's in the theater and we plan on hitting LOTR up just as much.

HP will be huge this week, possibly next week, but the first week it falls off, it's going to plummet and continue down. I think LOTR will last longer, maybe not though. I'm just tired of all the HP hype. It will not and cannot touch Titanic at the box-office. It won't come close. I'd be astonished if it made more then 350 million.

So the way I see it....LOTR rocks HP when it comes out.......then next may Episode 2 reclaims the thrown for the rightful heir to the box-office kingdom.
Old 11-17-2001, 10:14 AM   #6
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

MY friend who said that don't like Harry Potter. He meant people will still probally be wrapped up in HP and some people will forget Tolkien.

DON'T LAFF AT ME IT MAKES ME FEEL BAD
Old 11-17-2001, 01:53 PM   #7
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Poor Arwen.

Well the thing is is that FOTR is WAY better then the HP books will EVER be. Harry Potter is interesting and I'll probably read the whole series, but when you THINK about the contents then it kind of makes you hum the "twightlight zone" theme. I'm not a big fan of WB movies, they generally turn out stupid, like the Secret Garden and Little Princess, cute but kind of iffy in content, and I deffiantly think Harry Potter will go down the tube.
FOTR will DEFFIANTLY be better.
Sam
ps. Hey I needed an interesting thread like this Arwen, thanks for bringing it up
pps. did you know we're 31 more days until FOTR comes out. WOOOOHOOOOO!
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 04:42 PM   #8
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

I can't wait either MY boyfriends taking me to see it
Old 11-17-2001, 05:39 PM   #9
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
Originally posted by ArwenEvenstar
DON'T LAFF AT ME IT MAKES ME FEEL BAD
*/pats Arwen on the head.

Would now be a good time to bring up the fact that it's spelled Laugh?

Last edited by Wayfarer : 11-17-2001 at 05:46 PM.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2001, 01:53 AM   #10
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

This is the friggin' movies forum. Are you guys going to compare the books, or talk about the movies?
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 06:38 AM   #11
Selwythe
Elven Warrior

I do agree partly with Arwen's friend's statement. This place is so wrapped up in Harry Potter frenzy that everybody has forgotten (or probably never thought of) Lord of the Rings. I have yet to see a FoTR poster and currently, all the movie (p)review shows talk about is Harry Potter. When the bus zooms by, Harry Potter on the cover. When you pass by the television set in your office, it's Harry Potter on it. There has been absolutely no hoo-ha about Lord of the Rings, except for some small references by some people that are lost on others.
Old 11-19-2001, 03:09 PM   #12
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

http://www.pvponline.com/index.php3

Old 11-19-2001, 04:31 PM   #13
toni
Sapling

I am new to this chat site, although I have been reading it since the Summer. I read LOTR as a teen and now have read it again with my kids. We also read all the Harry Potter books, which is a much younger reading level. Most parents start with the HP books in 1st grade and the kids then take off on their own. LOTR is 7th and above, so there is no need to worry about competition. If anything HP is a great way to start kids on fantasy and when they are old enough they can move on to LOTR. Both are great books but target different audiences.
toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 06:32 PM   #14
Rogue
Hobbit

All you are hearing about now is Harry Potter, but one must take into consideration the fact that New Line hasn't really launched a full scale marketing campaign.
This will probably happen after Thanksgiving, when Harry Potter will be two weeks old. Trust me, by the time Dec. 19 rolls around, everyone will know about 'The Lord of the Rings'
Old 11-19-2001, 07:13 PM   #15
Lelondul
Swan-buggerer

*sighs*

Yes indeed, I'm afraid you're right Rogue. Going through the Burger King drive-thru this morning, I saw the first of it. Ads for the LotR kiddie-meal toys.....never thought I'd see a travesty as this.

Not all publicity is good.

- Lelond, experiencing the bittersweet bite of mass-marketed Tolkien
Old 11-19-2001, 10:18 PM   #16
Gimli son of Gloin
Sapling

You know what! I JUST HAD A FUNNY IDEA! What if the Fellowship of the Ring challenged HP and his gang to a game of Quidditch!

Here's how I see it... Gimli cleaves off Ron's head... Legolas shoots down a couple of their brooms... Merry, Pippin, and Sam attack the girl who is HP's friend (I forget her name)... Gandalf sets fire to Hogwarts... Aragorn cleaves the golden flying ball... and finally the grand finallie... (applause)... Frodo son of Drogo flies after Crappy Pothead (Harry Potter), unsheathes Sting, jumps over to CP's (HP's) broom, stabs CP (HP) in the heart... leaves it in there for five seconds... -SFX- out comes Sting and the limp body of Harry falls into the the jaws of unleashed Fluffy (unleashed by renagade orcs) "There's another scar for you Crappy Pothead (Harry Potter)!" said Frodo.

Gimli son of Gloin- The Two Towers
Gimli son of Gloin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 10:58 AM   #17
Rogue
Hobbit

LOL!

That was freakin hilarious Gimli!!

Hey, mass marketing the movie isn't bad. I don't care if they do kiddie meals and **** like that. I want the movie to make a TON of money so that the sequels will be safe. Perhaps we may even see 'The Hobbit' and 'The Silmarillion' made into films.

But it isn't going to happen if it merely does OK. It needs to be a mega blockbuster in the U.S. I mean Star Wars like. Otherwise, heads will roll.

Good news: Advance ticket sales in New Zealand and Europe are through the roof! Higher than Harry Potter. And the U.K. just rated it PG, which means families can take the kids.
Old 11-20-2001, 12:13 PM   #18
fireworks19
Elven Warrior

The Sil made into film? Please, surely you jest. That's like making my Algebra II text book into a movie...BORING!

I think Arwen(grr, name stealer! ) is right though, its possible that FOTR could get lost in the wave of HP...stuff (resisting the urge to use extreme language).

I don't like the mass marketing either. Happy Meal toys? Collector memorbelia(SP) like the action figures is one thing, but I don't know about kiddie meal toys. And the action figures I've seen so far aren't very good. I never thought I'd say it, but maybe Todd McFarlane should take a whack at it.
Old 11-20-2001, 01:01 PM   #19
Rogue
Hobbit

They can take some of the sections of Silmarillion and make a nice film out of it. I am not saying a literal cover to cover adaptation is what I would like.
Old 11-20-2001, 05:56 PM   #20
fireworks19
Elven Warrior

Of course. I have this weird delusion that some books, however, should be made into cover-cover adaptions. I'd like that, but who has the budget for it?