Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-23-2004, 12:04 PM   #41
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Wow... it started out as a normal thread... Aaaaanayway...

Neville is my favourite character! I think the hesitation surrounding his placement was because the Hat was torn between Hufflepuff and Gryffindor. As we have seen on several occasions (like when he fought Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle, or when he stood up to Hermione) Neville is extremely brave. He is also kind and at times, timid - good Hufflepuff qualities.

So I can see that the Hat would hesitate between those two, as it did with Harry and Gryffindor and Slytherin. (For Harry, I think this hesitation also represents his self-conflicting nature, if that made sense.)

And wow, Lizra, those were some really amazing insights into Neville! Cool. I bet JKR knows about the anagram, nothing seems to happen by accident in these books.
Ahem... discuss! Discuss before this great thread is closed. I love Neville, he has been my favourite character since the first book, before we even knew he was so noble and cool! (Even though I always thought he was brave.)

Thoughts?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 12:15 PM   #42
BeardofPants
the Shrike

So... No one thinks that it's at all probably that Neville was marked by Voldemort, and NOT Harry, and that this is what could have caused the hat to hesitate?
Old 09-23-2004, 12:52 PM   #43
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

I think the Hat wasn't sure. Maybe he found something inside Neville's head that suggested that it was a mental marking not phyisical(sp), and that Neville possesed the same qualities as Harry, bravery, daring, disrespect for rues, but they were hidden by the grief of what had happened to his parents.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 12:53 PM   #44
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Hm... I never thought of that. *ponders* But if this were the case, wouldn't Dumbledore have told Harry this when he 'told all' at the end of the fifth book? Knowing that Neville was Voldemort's 'opposite' instead of Harry would certainly take quite a load off his shoulders. (If that is in fact what you meant.)

Very interesting point BoP!
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 09-23-2004, 01:02 PM   #45
Telcontar_Dunedain

It was but Dumbledore wouldn't nesseceraly (sp) know would he.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Old 09-23-2004, 02:41 PM   #46
azalea
Long lost mooter

No, I think Dumbledore had it right. I mean, I could be wrong in the end, but I truly think that Harry was the one Voldemort marked by choosing him as his target. He [i]could[i] have chosen either one, but he chose Harry, so Harry must be the one to which the prophecy refers. I think we'll see something great from Neville, though. He is a great character; I liked him more after each book.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 02:50 PM   #47
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yes, but dumbledore has been known in the past to have not divulged ALL the information...
Old 09-23-2004, 03:14 PM   #48
azalea
Long lost mooter

True, and I think more info will be forthcoming. But for this one question, [i]I[i] think he gave the right answer (ie, Harry is the One). But I really can't wait to see what's up with those gum wrappers! I'm sure there's a lot more info about Neville and his family we'll be getting.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:14 PM   #49
Telcontar_Dunedain

Maybe there was another prophecy, that no one witnessed. Prophecising great deeds for Neville.

Old 09-23-2004, 05:27 PM   #50
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by azalea
No, I think Dumbledore had it right. I mean, I could be wrong in the end, but I truly think that Harry was the one Voldemort marked by choosing him as his target.
If the prophecy was made about the one Voldemort marked, but Voldemort fulfilled the prophecy by attacking him, isn't that circular?

You all make very good points about possibilities for Neville. Voldemort did go after him as well didn't he? Or did he attack Neville's parents simply because they were Aurors and powerful wizards? I'm confused on that point.
Quote:
Old 09-23-2004, 06:34 PM   #51
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel

You all make very good points about possibilities for Neville. Voldemort did go after him as well didn't he? Or did he attack Neville's parents simply because they were Aurors and powerful wizards? I'm confused on that point.
It is said that the child in the prophecy was(/will be) born to a family that escaped Voldemort 3 times (IIRC) in the past. Voldemort did want both the Longbottoms and Potters dead - because they were in the Order. I think.
But since it's also said something about the one Voldemort chooses, and Voldemort chose Harry - it cannot be Neville by the prophecy.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 12:10 AM   #52
thranduil
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radagast The Brown
It is said that the child in the prophecy was(/will be) born to a family that escaped Voldemort 3 times (IIRC) in the past. Voldemort did want both the Longbottoms and Potters dead - because they were in the Order. I think.
But since it's also said something about the one Voldemort chooses, and Voldemort chose Harry - it cannot be Neville by the prophecy.
exactly. i agree. [flame deleted]

Last edited by Valandil : 09-24-2004 at 04:38 AM.
thranduil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 02:51 AM   #53
Telcontar_Dunedain

Let's not start that again.

Old 09-24-2004, 04:18 AM   #54
thranduil
Elven Warrior

i dont remember ever writing that.......strange...........
Old 09-24-2004, 09:57 AM   #55
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radagast The Brown
Right. That's what I thought, but now I'm confused.

Maybe you meant something else BoP? Regardless of the details of the prophecy, Neville and Harry are definitely connected. They're good friends, and they probably would have been without the prophecy, even though it was often evil attacks by Voldemort that threw them together.
Quote:
Old 09-24-2004, 06:14 PM   #56
azalea
Long lost mooter

Maybe when they grow up (assuming Neville doesn't die ) they'll be partner Aurors or something!
Old 09-25-2004, 05:58 AM   #57
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Yeah! *hugs Neville* I often cheer for underdog characters in books, but Neville is truly a great character. He's interesting, complex, brave, has a mysterious past, and humorous. What's not to love?

I think Neville would be a great Auror. I don't know if that's what is in store for Harry though. Somehow it seems to obvious, even though both he and Ron would be excellent. I would laugh if Hermione because an Auror after she said "I want to do something more worthwhile."
Quote:
Old 09-25-2004, 06:59 AM   #58
Telcontar_Dunedain

Well that could well be what Neville said in his interview with Mcgonogall(sp).

Old 09-25-2004, 11:35 AM   #59
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

What was that interview? Refresh my memory please. I've only read book 5 once, about 2 months after it first came out.
Quote:
Old 09-25-2004, 11:41 AM   #60
Telcontar_Dunedain

The careers advice. Maybe Neville to said he wanted to be an Auror.